ESPN ARTICLE ABOUT HOW GREAT BAMA IS!!!!

AUBURNJAC

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama receiver Keith Brown and linebacker Prince Hall have been suspended for the season opener against Western Carolina for unspecified violations of team rules, coach Nick Saban said Monday.

Saban said both 2006 starters had been working in backup roles throughout fall camp in the Crimson Tide's practices, which are closed to the media.

"We probably have as much depth at receiver as any position on the team," he said. "We probably have as little depth at linebacker as any position on our team. It gives someone else an opportunity to show what they can do when these kind of circumstances arise."

Rolando McClain, a 6-foot-4, 255-pound freshman, will start in Hall's place alongside Darren Mustin at inside linebacker. Sophomore Mike McCoy will take Brown's place in the starting lineup.

The suspensions were for only one game, but Saban said Brown and Hall will have to compete for their positions again.

Hall started nine games as a freshman and finished with 77 tackles.

Brown has been the Tide's No. 2 receiver the past two seasons and gained 590 yards on 44 catches last season.

Cornerback Simeon Castille, defensive end Brandon Deaderick, tailback Roy Upchurch and linebacker Brandon Fanney have all been arrested over the summer. They were not suspended.

Castille, Upchurch and Fanney have all pleaded not guilty to disorderly conduct. Castille was arrested in a separate incident from the other three, and his attorney entered the plea Monday morning.

Deaderick has applied for youthful offender status on charges of criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing a false name.

Saban would not elaborate on what the two suspended players did to warrant the punishment.

"These issues are handled internally," he said. "The players have some right to privacy about family issues and we're not going to violate that.

"These particular players have reached a phase where punishment -- and taking away a game from them -- is something we feel is necessary to do at that time."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama receiver Keith Brown and linebacker Prince Hall have been suspended for the season opener against Western Carolina for unspecified violations of team rules, coach Nick Saban said Monday.

Saban said both 2006 starters had been working in backup roles throughout fall camp in the Crimson Tide's practices, which are closed to the media.

"We probably have as much depth at receiver as any position on the team," he said. "We probably have as little depth at linebacker as any position on our team. It gives someone else an opportunity to show what they can do when these kind of circumstances arise."

Rolando McClain, a 6-foot-4, 255-pound freshman, will start in Hall's place alongside Darren Mustin at inside linebacker. Sophomore Mike McCoy will take Brown's place in the starting lineup.

The suspensions were for only one game, but Saban said Brown and Hall will have to compete for their positions again.

Hall started nine games as a freshman and finished with 77 tackles.

Brown has been the Tide's No. 2 receiver the past two seasons and gained 590 yards on 44 catches last season.

Cornerback Simeon Castille, defensive end Brandon Deaderick, tailback Roy Upchurch and linebacker Brandon Fanney have all been arrested over the summer. They were not suspended.

Castille, Upchurch and Fanney have all pleaded not guilty to disorderly conduct. Castille was arrested in a separate incident from the other three, and his attorney entered the plea Monday morning.

Deaderick has applied for youthful offender status on charges of criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing a false name.

Saban would not elaborate on what the two suspended players did to warrant the punishment.

"These issues are handled internally," he said. "The players have some right to privacy about family issues and we're not going to violate that.

"These particular players have reached a phase where punishment -- and taking away a game from them -- is something we feel is necessary to do at that time."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I beg your pardon in advance if I'm just way out of the loop, but:

1. What sort of "family issues" would give rise to (game) suspensions?

2. Nice PR management, suspending two guys for no (explained reason - other than, maybe, "family issues"), and not suspending / dealing with (or at least addressing) four others who clearly are in line for some sort of discipline.

Are we sure Flipper's not still hanging around T-town?

from the above article:

"Deaderick has applied for youthful offender status on charges of criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing a false name."

What exactly does youthful offender status do for one? Does it mean that he won't have a record? If so, $aban won't have to punish him. (Like he has already).

from the above article:

"Deaderick has applied for youthful offender status on charges of criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing a false name."

What exactly does youthful offender status do for one? Does it mean that he won't have a record? If so, $aban won't have to punish him. (Like he has already).

That is what youthful offender status is...basically a guilty plea for light punishment and nothing on record b/c of being under 21 to the best of my memory.

"We probably have as much depth at receiver as any position on the team," he said.

How many wide outs does he have committed? I don't know of many recruiting gods that recruit their deepest position the hardest. Just sayin......

"We probably have as much depth at receiver as any position on the team," he said.

How many wide outs does he have committed? I don't know of many recruiting gods that recruit their deepest position the hardest. Just sayin......

out of 17 commitments, only 2 are WR. compare that with 4 that are DE's, 1 DB, and 1 DT. way to talk smack about something you know nothing about. :thumbsup:

out of 17 commitments, only 2 are WR. compare that with 4 that are DE's, 1 DB, and 1 DT. way to talk smack about something you know nothing about. :thumbsup:

Did you learn to count at Bammer?

WR 25 Mark Barron

(St. Pauls Episcopal School)

Mobile, AL 6-2/210/4.50 08/24/2007

WR 55 Destin Hood

Mobile, AL 6-2/182/4.50 08/06/2007

WR 39 Devonta Bolton

(Norcross HS)

Norcross, GA 6-3/220 08/04/2007

WR 22 Burton Scott

(C F Vigor HS)

Prichard, AL 5-10.5/190/4.40 07/30/2007

WR 30 Melvin Ray

(North Florida Christian)

Tallahassee, FL 6-3/202/4.55 07/28/2007

WR NR Brad Smelley

(American Christian

"KISS MY CONVERSE"

WR 25 Mark Barron

WR 55 Destin Hood

WR 39 Devonta Bolton

(Norcross HS)

WR 22 Burton Scott

(C F Vigor HS)

WR 30 Melvin Ray

WR NR Brad Smelley

(American Christian

"KISS MY CONVERSE"

did they teach you to read at AU?

Hood and Ray are the only true WR, the others are classified as Athlete by Rivals as they should be classified. Scout lists them all as WR for some reason. for example, Mark Barron rushed 78 times for 785 yards and had 23 receptions for 368 yards. Burton Scott rushed for 1070 yards, 1059 passing, and had 12 receptions for 353 yards. Brad Smelley rushed for 320 yards, threw for 2611 yards with 24 TD, and on defense had 63 tackles with 9 INT's. as far as Bolton, meh, i'll probably give you that one actually. he said he was recruited as a slot receiver, but also said they told him he might still end up on defense and he was fine with that. he was being recruited by some schools as a LB, he plays both sides of the ball.

Hood and Ray are the only true WR, the others are classified as Athlete by Rivals as they should be classified. Scout lists them all as WR for some reason. for example, Mark Barron rushed 78 times for 785 yards and had 23 receptions for 368 yards. Burton Scott rushed for 1070 yards, 1059 passing, and had 12 receptions for 353 yards. Brad Smelley rushed for 320 yards, threw for 2611 yards with 24 TD, and on defense had 63 tackles with 9 INT's. as far as Bolton, meh, i'll probably give you that one actually. he said he was recruited as a slot receiver, but also said they told him he might still end up on defense and he was fine with that. he was being recruited by some schools as a LB, he plays both sides of the ball.

That's not what BG said when we accused Sabahr of lying to recruits about what position they will play.

RWS' Daddy

You Bammers need to get your stories straight. Is Saban a liar or not? ;)

That's not what BG said when we accused Sabahr of lying to recruits about what position they will play.

RWS' Daddy

when Burton Scott was at camp at UA, they played him on both sides of the ball. they did the same thing while he was at AU, played him at WR and CB. different schools were looking at him for different sides of the ball. i don't really take much weight to your tired argument of when we get a recruit AU offered you come up with "well CNS lied to them" or "well they cheated". at least most people here can say "oh well, AU will still have a good signing class". for that matter, aren't you guys going to need to sign a bunch of receivers this class?

RWS' Daddy

when Burton Scott was at camp at UA, they played him on both sides of the ball. they did the same thing while he was at AU, played him at WR and CB. different schools were looking at him for different sides of the ball. i don't really take much weight to your tired argument of when we get a recruit AU offered you come up with "well CNS lied to them" or "well they cheated". at least most people here can say "oh well, AU will still have a good signing class". for that matter, aren't you guys going to need to sign a bunch of receivers this class?

Your whole argument is proving my point. You spin when we accuse you guys of lying to recruits about what position they will play in college. (You do know Scott was favoring AU until we told him he would be a CB for us.) Then when we call you out for WR being your deepest current position and the position you have the most commits from, you flip-flop. Get your stories straight before you try to debate with someone.

RWS' Daddy

Your whole argument is proving my point. You spin when we accuse you guys of lying to recruits about what position they will play in college. (You do know Scott was favoring AU until we told him he would be a CB for us.) Then when we call you out for WR being your deepest current position and the position you have the most commits from, you flip-flop. Get your stories straight before you try to debate with someone.

we have 2 true WR commits. the others you listed are classified as Athletes....i don't understand why you cannot get that into your head. what they will end up playing, i don't know. we currently have 7 WR on the roster. that IS the deepest spot on the depth chart. as far as Scott favoring AU early on, you might want to let him know that. he said UF was his #1 and UA was #2. he has been a Miami and FSU fan all of his life, but felt UF was a good fit. he had even said "I would rather play safety or corner or wide receiver". also, about his AU recruitment: "I talked to coach Willis and coach Muschamp. Coach Willis said he's played at Auburn so he knows what it takes," said Scott. "Coach Muschamp was saying how much he likes me at cornerback. They said I could come in and play wide receiver on offense and then play cornerback or safety on defense. They also like me as a returner." so they weren't recruiting him as JUST WR, unless you want to call Scott a liar. unless you are one of the coaches, i don't think you can accuse anyone of lying to anybody about what position they will play.

Well Scout disagrees and I can at least provide a link.

Link

WR 25 Mark Barron

Alabama

SLB 4 Damian Square

(Yates HS)

Houston, TX 6-3/268/4.70 08/11/2007

Alabama

WR 55 Destin Hood

Alabama

WR 39 Devonta Bolton

(Norcross HS)

Alabama

WR 22 Burton Scott

(C F Vigor HS)

Alabama

WR 30 Melvin Ray

Alabama

OT 9 Tyler Love

(Mt. Brook HS)

Mountain Brook, AL 6-7/285 07/27/2007

Alabama

DE 28 Courtney Upshaw

(Eufaula HS)

Eufaula, AL 6-2.5/225 06/07/2007

Alabama

WR NR Brad Smelley

(American Christian Academy)

Tuscaloosa, AL 6-3/215 05/06/2007

Alabama

OT 45 John Michael Boswell

(Tuscaloosa County HS)

Northport, AL 6-6/300 04/21/2007

Alabama

S 50 Wesley Neighbors

(Huntsville HS)

Huntsville, AL 6-1/190 04/02/2007

Alabama

RB 38 Ivan Matchett

Mobile, AL 5-10/205/4.60 03/27/2007

Alabama

DE 54 Undra Billingsley

(Woodlawn High School-Magnet)

Birmingham, AL 6-3/265 03/24/2007

Alabama

K 20 Corey Smith

(Musselman HS)

Bunker Hill, WV 6-0/190 03/24/2007

Alabama

DE 39 Brandon Lewis

(Pleasant Grove HS)

Pleasant Grove, AL 6-3/260 03/05/2007

Alabama

RB NR Jermaine Preyear

(W P Davidson HS)

Mobile, AL 5-11/195 03/02/2007

Alabama

DE 25 Michael Williams

(Pickens County HS)

Reform, AL 6-6/240/4.70 02/16/2007

Alabama

DT PG Kerry Murphy

(Hargrave Military Academy)

Chatham, VA 6-4/300 01/13/2006

Alabama

WR 25 Mark Barron

WR 55 Destin Hood

WR 39 Devonta Bolton

(Norcross HS)

WR 22 Burton Scott

(C F Vigor HS)

WR 30 Melvin Ray

WR NR Brad Smelley

(American Christian

"KISS MY CONVERSE"

Mark Barron LB

Destin Hood WR if he doesn't play baseball

Devonta Bolton TE

Burton Scott offense who cares where B)

Melvin Ray WR

Brad Smelley H-Back/TE hybrid

Atleast that's what I understand, but who cares I imagine they will be evaluated and reevaluated when they arrive on campus. The same thing will go on at Auburn when their recruits arrive on campus.

Well Scout disagrees and I can at least provide a link.

Link

WR 25 Mark Barron

Alabama

SLB 4 Damian Square

(Yates HS)

Houston, TX 6-3/268/4.70 08/11/2007

Alabama

WR 55 Destin Hood

Alabama

WR 39 Devonta Bolton

(Norcross HS)

Alabama

WR 22 Burton Scott

(C F Vigor HS)

Alabama

WR 30 Melvin Ray

Alabama

OT 9 Tyler Love

(Mt. Brook HS)

Mountain Brook, AL 6-7/285 07/27/2007

Alabama

DE 28 Courtney Upshaw

(Eufaula HS)

Eufaula, AL 6-2.5/225 06/07/2007

Alabama

WR NR Brad Smelley

(American Christian Academy)

Tuscaloosa, AL 6-3/215 05/06/2007

Alabama

OT 45 John Michael Boswell

(Tuscaloosa County HS)

Northport, AL 6-6/300 04/21/2007

Alabama

S 50 Wesley Neighbors

(Huntsville HS)

Huntsville, AL 6-1/190 04/02/2007

Alabama

RB 38 Ivan Matchett

Mobile, AL 5-10/205/4.60 03/27/2007

Alabama

DE 54 Undra Billingsley

(Woodlawn High School-Magnet)

Birmingham, AL 6-3/265 03/24/2007

Alabama

K 20 Corey Smith

(Musselman HS)

Bunker Hill, WV 6-0/190 03/24/2007

Alabama

DE 39 Brandon Lewis

(Pleasant Grove HS)

Pleasant Grove, AL 6-3/260 03/05/2007

Alabama

RB NR Jermaine Preyear

(W P Davidson HS)

Mobile, AL 5-11/195 03/02/2007

Alabama

DE 25 Michael Williams

(Pickens County HS)

Reform, AL 6-6/240/4.70 02/16/2007

Alabama

DT PG Kerry Murphy

(Hargrave Military Academy)

Chatham, VA 6-4/300 01/13/2006

Alabama

:banghead:

you need to go look at some of those guys statistics. you need to see that some of them play WR and QB, some RB and WR, one WR/QB/LB, one WR and SS. when you finish doing that, then with a straight face keep up your argument that they are true 100% WR's and shouldn't be classified as Athletes (Rivals has them listed as Athletes, except for Ray and Hood). otherwise, there is little point in arguing this further because you cannot understand the concept that when they play multiple positions on both sides of the ball they should be truly classified as Athlete. something else, one of those guys passed for many more yards than they had receiving. some rushed for more than they had receiving. would you classify those as a QB and as a RB? one rushed for almost as much as he passed for, then had alot of tackles playing on D, but didnt even have 400 receiving yards. what do you classify that as? do you remotely understand how your logic is flawed? like i said before, i could concede Scott because he did say that when he committed they said he was recruited as a very physical slot receiver, but he also understood he might end up on defense. so at this point nobody really knows. and when he comes out and says he understands that he might be on either side and commits, i don't see how you can say someone lied to him.

you need to go look at some of those guys statistics. you need to see that some of them play WR and QB, some RB and WR, one WR/QB/LB, one WR and SS. when you finish doing that, then with a straight face keep up your argument that they are true 100% WR's and shouldn't be classified as Athletes (Rivals has them listed as Athletes, except for Ray and Hood). otherwise, there is little point in arguing this further because you cannot understand the concept that when they play multiple positions on both sides of the ball they should be truly classified as Athlete. something else, one of those guys passed for many more yards than they had receiving. some rushed for more than they had receiving. would you classify those as a QB and as a RB? one rushed for almost as much as he passed for, then had alot of tackles playing on D, but didnt even have 400 receiving yards. what do you classify that as? do you remotely understand how your logic is flawed? like i said before, i could concede Scott because he did say that when he committed they said he was recruited as a very physical slot receiver, but he also understood he might end up on defense. so at this point nobody really knows. and when he comes out and says he understands that he might be on either side and commits, i don't see how you can say someone lied to him.

It's still misleading rws, take Mario Fannin for instance. QB in HS we told him we wanted him at RB but told him we might give him a look at QB. He was categorized as a RB on his commitment from day one per Scout..... Scout categorizes you by your projected college position.

good luck saturday....

It's still misleading rws, take Mario Fannin for instance. QB in HS we told him we wanted him at RB but told him we might give him a look at QB. He was categorized as a RB on his commitment from day one per Scout..... Scout categorizes you by your projected college position.

good luck saturday....

i think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

good luck to you guys as well.

Archived