HUCKABEE IS A WINNER

JBC1124

Looks like Huckabee is the winner West Virginia. It is a winner take all state 18 delegates up for grabs. Huckabee and Rommney were close but in the second round of voting Huckabee was declared the winner.

If only he could win the nomination...that might make my day ;)

I like Huckabee a lot. I would love to see him take the nom. I voted for him today so that is one vote closer here in Alabama.

I think he'd be tougher to beat than you think. And that goes double if you guys are dumb enough to nominate Hillary.

I think he'd be tougher to beat than you think. And that goes double if you guys are dumb enough to nominate Hillary.

A couple of things:

Huckabee would have a very difficult time garnering Independents, much less the moderates in his own party. He is pretty far right of the mainstream.

Example: Abolish the IRS - sounds cool in theory but we all know he would never be able to drum up a majority coalition to get anything close to that accomplished. Any candidate whose domestic policy is laughable to most from the get go is a pretty safe bet to be unelectable.

Second, "you guys" is a gross mischaracterization. I think "Democrats" is the appropriate word. As you of all people should know, while I share many liberal views, I vote and think as an Independent.

I can guarantee you this, I would vote for McCain over Clinton any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

A couple of things:

Huckabee could have a very difficult time garning Independents, much less the moderates in his own party. He is pretty far right of the mainstream. ex: Abolish the IRS - sounds cool in theory but we all know he would never be able to drum up a majority coalition to get anything close to that accomplished on the fiscal front. Any candidate who's domestic policy is laughable to most from the get go is a pretty safe bet to be unelectable.

I think it plays better than you think to economic conservatives. That's not exactly a far right proposal, especially when he points out that it's a zero sum idea. It neither raises nor lowers tax revenues overall, but it does make a substantial change in philosophy in that you tax consumption, not production and it taxes the underground economy that currently avoids the income tax (illegal immigrants, drug dealers, prostitution, etc.) But even if it has no chance of passing, it still signals that he's thinking rightly about the problem.

Also, when Rush Limbaugh is complaining that you're not conservative enough, I think it's a pretty good signal to moderates that he might be worth checking out.

Second, "you guys" is a gross mischaracterization. I think "Democrats" is the appropriate word. As you of all people should know, while I share many Liberal views, I vote and think as an Independent.

I can guarantee you this, I would vote for McCain over Clinton any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Fair enough. But my point still stands. I think Huckabee would run better than you think against Obama and would likely beat Clinton.

All the McCain delegates chose to side w/ Huckabee. If that doesn't scream colusion between those 2 camps, nothing else will.

Yeah. I think they've come to a mutual decision that Romney is a dick. ;)

Seriously though, Romney doesn't seem to have made basically ANY friends amongst the other candidates. Not that having the other candidates love you is a prerequisite, but you have to wonder why out of an entire slate of GOP candidates none seem to like him and none have endorsed him upon leaving the race.

Yeah. I think they've come to a mutual decision that Romney is a dick. ;)

Seriously though, Romney doesn't seem to have made basically ANY friends amongst the other candidates. Not that having the other candidates love you is a prerequisite, but you have to wonder why out of an entire slate of GOP candidates none seem to like him and none have endorsed him upon leaving the race.

As of yet, Romney holds no power in D.C. McCain does.

I think the dims see us choosing a candidate like they do. They either love or hate the candidate. We are voting for the one we like best. But in the end ALL republicans would vote for a republican no matter which one. Any republican still left on our ticket is seen as a better choice than any dim.

So if Huck won the nom., he would get support from the republican side. We do not have a candidate that we just HATE.

Well, if these trends hold up, Huckabee will need a big win out west to stay in this thing. Huckabee is winning some states, but McCain's winning most of the important ones.

If Huckabee continues on, he has Louisiana next door on Feb 9th

Then, the other next door...Texas is on March 4th

Then, close by is Mississippi March 11th. And with his infamous "shoestring" budget that bodes well on travel expenses.

Granted pigs may have to fly for hi mto get the nod, but Huckabee could still gain additional delegates.

No chance for Huckabee at this point. And, when you start looking at the margins in all the states, he didn't really win big anywhere. I think his contention that McCain will need him to win the South is nonsense, given the GOP's extraordinary strength in the region. Where McCain has strength is in the swing states, which is what the GOP desperately needs. Putting Huckabee on the ticket would actually hurt McCain in those states.

All the McCain delegates chose to side w/ Huckabee. If that doesn't scream colusion between those 2 camps, nothing else will.

There is even more to that story. I can't find the link to it, but basically what happened: they took the first vote at the convention (I think that's what they call it) McCain was 1st, Romney 2nd, Huckabee a distant 3rd and Paul had about 10%. They were going to take a 2nd vote - McCain, Romney, and Huckabee. Anyway, McCain gave his votes to Huckabee so Romney would not win, and Paul gave his votes to Huckabee, same reason. Paul got 3 delegates out of it though. I guess all McCain got was satisfaction. And if that had not happened, it was determined that on the 2nd vote, Romney would have won. And what surprised me most, not that McCain would do it. That's his style. But that Huckabee was in on it. That is very much not like him. But, I can only hope he was taken in.

I think the dims see us choosing a candidate like they do. They either love or hate the candidate. We are voting for the one we like best. But in the end ALL republicans would vote for a republican no matter which one. Any republican still left on our ticket is seen as a better choice than any dim.

So if Huck won the nom., he would get support from the republican side. We do not have a candidate that we just HATE.

Have you listened to any talk radio lately? Sure sounds like hate to me.

Archived