It ain't just hope

TexasTiger

The press are checking email, reading Politico and stifling a yawn or two even though it is clear that Barack Obama has caught a live one in Beaumont, Texas. The audience of 750 or so in the Rogers Theater is old school--feisty, vocal and brimful of tough love. Only a few minutes into his opening remarks, a bit of boilerplate about current economic woes, Obama trots out a stump fact: the average American owes $8,000 in credit card debt. "I owe more than that!" shouts a lady from the back rows. "You owe more than that, huh," Barack says, in that amused, non-judgmental but assessing way of his. The tone of the town hall meeting has been set, and the audience greets Obama's remarks about health care and Iraq with cascades of amen and you got it right.

Email

Print

Comment

Buzz up!on Yahoo!

Quickly, Obama moves on to questions, and thirty-five minutes into the meeting, a young woman takes the mike and says, "My sister went to college, and she was not prepared for it. What are you going to do, as President, to help those students in high school get ready so they can succeed in college?" People cheer--they know this problem well.

Obama and his audience are sailing fast into a spontaneous and inchoate moment. This is a campaign rarity, but the press don't see it coming because everything about an event is usually so scripted. The traveling press have just come from an Obama town hall meeting on the economy in Austin, and even as they were watching, the Obama Campaign was emailing them and the rest of us the talking points. Like cathedral bells, the campaign chimes in on the quarter hour, in case reporters are catnapping or otherwise missing the point.

"This is a critical part of our economic agenda. Now keep in mind, if we don't become better trained, smart, effective workers, it doesn't matter what I prescribe as President, our standard of living will go down, because we live in a knowledge-based economy now," Obama says, prefacing his remarks, and then he is off and running with one of his favorite topics. He has lots of plans: early childhood education, modifying "but not completely eliminating" No Child Left Behind, adding art and music and phys ed to the curriculum, increasing teacher pay and improving after-school and summer school programs. "But can I make this one last point? And I hope I'm not offending anybody," Obama says. His audience--the women anyway--know where he is going, and they begin to call out. "Come on now--" Behind me, a lady with a voice that can be heard as far as Dallas offers encouragement.

"It doesn't matter how much money we put in--"

"Come on now--"

"--if parents don't parent."

Shrieks and trills from every corner again interrupt.

"It's not good enough to say to yourself, it's the school, and you don't turn off the TV, you don't help with the homework, there's not a book in the house--"

"COME ON NOW--" In my ear, she's stentorian, bossy and encouraging, like a rancher birthing a calf. Will Obama be able to utter the truth? To get it out? She's sure he has it in him.

"You got a video player on--"

"Come on, Obama! Come on, Obama! Come on!"

He is drowned by the roar, loud as falling water, and now the traveling press, realizing that something is actually happening, snap to. They sit up, swivel and stare. Unfortunately, the standing cameras are trained in the wrong direction, on Barack. One photographer hoists a big hand camera that he turns on the crowd, out of their seats and gesticulating, leaning forwards and back in a kind of a dance.

"So turn off the TV set, give the video game away, buy a little desk, or clear the kitchen table, from September help with homework--if they don't know how to do it, give them help. If you don't know how to do it, call the teacher. Make them go to bed at a reasonable time. Give them some breakfast. . . . If your child misbehaves at school, don't cuss out the teacher. Don't cuss out the teacher."

"OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!" These 750 in Beaumont are louder than the 20,000 in Houston's Toyota Center last week. The din stuns. Stupefies. Really, there aren't words to describe it.

A few minutes later, Obama, in answer to a question about diabetes research, tells the crowd, "we can't keep feeding our kids junk."

"Hold on! Hold on! Come on! TELL THE TRUTH!"

"Eight sodas a day . . . Popeye's for breakfast." He pauses and waits for a little opening. "I know some of y'all--"

Obama's accent has been growing southern. The crowd loves it. They love the straight talk. They love how easy he is in his own skin. In answer to a question about gay rights, he says, "Now I'm a Christian--I praise Jesus every Sunday--but I hear people saying things I don't think are very Christian." You know who you are. In answer to a question on energy, he says, "I'm going to tell you not just what you want to hear but what you need to hear." This is classic cautionary Barack. The people of Beaumont drink in the admonition.

As soon as Obama winds it up, reporters--the traveling press jumping over the backs of their seats--converge on the women, who are today's one-minute wonder. I spend my minute with Lois Roy, asking her what specifically she would like to see Barack Obama, if he is elected President, do for African-Americans. "Nothing," she says. "What needs doing, we got to do it ourselves. He just needs to be himself. Be a role model." She stops herself on second thoughts. "Well, health care--that would go a long way to help education, too."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mayhill-fowl...am_b_89127.html

"Well, health care--that would go a long way to help education, too."

BWAAAAAAAA. Free healthcare will make us smarter? These are the types of folks voting for Achmed Obama.

All that blubbering and he said NOTHING. Alls you gots to do is feeds the chillin. Alls you gots to do is makes the chillin go to bed. Alls you gots to do is makes the chillin do they homework. But in order to do that, the gubment has gots to gives you free health care.

Yeah. His accent is getting more southern and he is starting to sound like the preacher in "Coming to America."

Please post a valid plan. If he wants better education, get rid of the NEA and allow vouchers. Allow competition in education. And if you are preaching to the poor, then don't act like you are talking to me. I already teach my children, make them go to bed and feed them without free healthcare or the promise of the government to do it.

Thank you for the insight on what type of sad individuals are voting for him.

BWAAAAAAAA. Free healthcare will make us smarter? These are the types of folks voting for Achmed Obama.

All that blubbering and he said NOTHING. Alls you gots to do is feeds the chillin. Alls you gots to do is makes the chillin go to bed. Alls you gots to do is makes the chillin do they homework. But in order to do that, the gubment has gots to gives you free health care.

Yeah. His accent is getting more southern and he is starting to sound like the preacher in "Coming to America."

Please post a valid plan. If he wants better education, get rid of the NEA and allow vouchers. Allow competition in education. And if you are preaching to the poor, then don't act like you are talking to me. I already teach my children, make them go to bed and feed them without free healthcare or the promise of the government to do it.

Thank you for the daily insights into what kind of people are not.

Oh you mean those of us who are already doing the right things and not looking for the government handout? Thank you. You're welcome. It seems he's preaching to the already ignorant and they are lapping it up like stray dogs. The man has nothing to offer but hope? Hope that he can raise my taxes enough so that one day even you can cut back on your work because you don't have ot pay for health care, education, social security. Oh but it's OK because those people like me will still be paying for it. Everything he proposes is me paying for someone else.

Oh you mean those of us who are already doing the right things and not looking for the government handout? Thank you. You're welcome. It seems he's preaching to the already ignorant and they are lapping it up like stray dogs. The man has nothing to offer but hope? Hope that he can raise my taxes enough so that one day even you can cut back on your work because you don't have ot pay for health care, education, social security. Oh but it's OK because those people like me will still be paying for it. Everything he proposes is me paying for someone else.

You have about 5 posts you constantly recycle.

CC, you should be chiming in right along with those women at least on part of the speech. He was all but scolding people for blaming the school and others for their kids not doing well while they don't parent their kids. Chastising them for talking about more money for schools when they let their kids watch TV all night, don't help with homework, don't encourage them to read, let them play video games all the time. He told them to stop cussing the teacher when their kids misbehave at school. He even gives them the business for wanting more diabetes research when they are the ones feeding their kids junk.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you wrote that section for him. I mean, c'mon. No one's gonna make you vote for the guy if you give him props for saying something good.

CC, you should be chiming in right along with those women at least on part of the speech. He was all but scolding people for blaming the school and others for their kids not doing well while they don't parent their kids. Chastising them for talking about more money for schools when they let their kids watch TV all night, don't help with homework, don't encourage them to read, let them play video games all the time. He told them to stop cussing the teacher when their kids misbehave at school. He even gives them the business for wanting more diabetes research when they are the ones feeding their kids junk.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you wrote that section for him. I mean, c'mon. No one's gonna make you vote for the guy if you give him props for saying something good.

Exactly. It's a message about personal responsibility-- ultimately that is where most hope is generated-- we have to make the right choices for good things to happen. And contrary to what CCTAU indicated, it isn't just the poor that aren't holding their kids accountable-- not by a long shot. The problems he cites cut across all demographic lines.

I hesitate to reply as I'm sure I'll be blasted. However, I'd like to point two things out. First of all the kinds of things Mr. Obama talked about in this speech are certainly true and are what all good parents do. However, they are not really about presidential politics and presidential platform. What this man is doing is "feel good" politics in that he's saying what will get the biggest applause in a particular crowd. Talk to women about taking care of kids and you'll get a positive response. And additionally, conservatives have been preaching these same ideas pretty much forever. The difference is that when conservatives say the same things they are accused of berating the poor and downtrodden and not having the proper sympathy for their lot in life.

I hesitate to reply as I'm sure I'll be blasted. However, I'd like to point two things out. First of all the kinds of things Mr. Obama talked about in this speech are certainly true and are what all good parents do. However, they are not really about presidential politics and presidential platform. What this man is doing is "feel good" politics in that he's saying what will get the biggest applause in a particular crowd. Talk to women about taking care of kids and you'll get a positive response. And additionally, conservatives have been preaching these same ideas pretty much forever. The difference is that when conservatives say the same things they are accused of berating the poor and downtrodden and not having the proper sympathy for their lot in life.

The larger point about posting this was that many folks here and elsewhere falsely say that Obama a) just talks about "hope"; b ) just talks about government giveaways, not personal responsibility. Obama is a liberal and he does believe in such things as better teacher pay, but he offers no illusions that merely throwing money on a problem such as education or diabetes research will improve the problem.

As far as telling people what they want to hear, I'm not sure all parents want to hear that the biggest part of the education problem is what they do or don't do. When Obama was in elementary school in Indonesia, his mother was concerned about the quality of the education and got him up at 4am and made him do additional studies for hours before going to school. Also, telling an African-American crowd that being homophobic isn't consistent with Christianity isn't really what that they are clamoring to hear, either.

By the same token, I know we criticize Democrats for not emphasizing these things enough and at least giving the impression that the solution to all the ills of the poor is more money. The fact that he gave it to them straight and said things that most conservatives would heartily agree with (even if we couldn't get away with saying them) is a good step in the right direction. It's not like what he said comes without risk. Bill Cosby and others have gotten blasted by the black community for calling them on the carpet and scolding them for blaming everyone but themselves for their problems.

By the same token, I know we criticize Democrats for not emphasizing these things enough and at least giving the impression that the solution to all the ills of the poor is more money. The fact that he gave it to them straight and said things that most conservatives would heartily agree with (even if we couldn't get away with saying them) is a good step in the right direction. It's not like what he said comes without risk. Bill Cosby and others have gotten blasted by the black community for calling them on the carpet and scolding them for blaming everyone but themselves for their problems.

I couldn't agree with these two posts anymore. I love what Bill Cosby has been doing for many years now. I have always been a huge Bill Cosby fan, way back to his early standup comedy days and commend him for taking a unpopular stand for what is right. But I have to agree with p'cola tiger here, Obama said what was popular to hear and did not offer a plan, only some popular comments ("hope" I guess). Obama did not say anything that I am not already doing at home now. These are family values, and certainly not part of "it takes a village..." (I know, other candidate!).

It is a little funny. Cosby got crucufied for saying the same thing. I guess Cos just blazed a path for Obama. For that I will thank Dr. Cosby.

Right now, I do not agree with Obama on Iraq. He is getting his cheap shots in with the extreme Left crowd. I am not going to tell you that I will vote for McCain either. Heck I just might not vote. My POV is nowhere to be found in this election. But between Obama and McCain, I really feel the difference for me might just be the "Inside the Beltway" thinking of McCain. I am just too tired and too sick of business as usual in Washington. There is no difference between the parties these days. They both spend like a bunch of drunks on the silliest projects around. They cant get anything they really want because the other party has just enough control to stop the other one. Gridlock and ITB thinking is not going to accomplish anything I want.

I want to see what his plans are????? I'm truly interested in seeing how he will make things better.

And I'm not being sarcastic. I want to see what his plans are and how he intends to get things done. I'm becoming very skeptical about his intentions as a candidate.

It is a little funny. Cosby got crucufied for saying the same thing. I guess Cos just blazed a path for Obama. For that I will thank Dr. Cosby.

Right now, I do not agree with Obama on Iraq. He is getting his cheap shots in with the extreme Left crowd. I am not going to tell you that I will vote for McCain either. Heck I just might not vote. My POV is nowhere to be found in this election. But between Obama and McCain, I really feel the difference for me might just be the "Inside the Beltway" thinking of McCain. I am just too tired and too sick of business as usual in Washington. There is no difference between the parties these days. They both spend like a bunch of drunks on the silliest projects around. They cant get anything they really want because the other party has just enough control to stop the other one. Gridlock and ITB thinking is not going to accomplish anything I want.

Well.....I hope you like higher taxes and socialism, because that's the direction we will be headed if the Dems control both Congress and the White House. They will also control the Supreme Court with the placement of judges in the next four year cycle.

I figure McCain will be a little bit of a balancing in Washington compared to Obama, but if Obama get's elected, then I will support the office much the same way I did an officer as a soldier. You may not respect the person wearing the uniform, but you better respect the rank.

I don't want to see my brothers and sisters effort in Iraq go to waste, and Obama will do that if elected.

Well.....I hope you like higher taxes and socialism, because that's the direction we will be headed if the Dems control both Congress and the White House. They will also control the Supreme Court with the placement of judges in the next four year cycle.

I figure McCain will be a little bit of a balancing in Washington compared to Obama, but if Obama get's elected, then I will support the office much the same way I did an officer as a soldier. You may not respect the person wearing the uniform, but you better respect the rank.

I don't want to see my brothers and sisters effort in Iraq go to waste, and Obama will do that if elected.

I just dont see that big a difference between A Dem or a Rep candidate these days. Used to be Reps were for smaller govt and controlled spending. I dont believe that after the Bush years anymore. Reps act like Dems, why not just vote for the Dems?

Obama and his get out of Iraq is where I do not see eye to eye with him. We are about to accomplish a lot there if we dont retreat.

Oh no. Achmed Obama was the first and only one to think of this. And my post was in disbelief that these ignorant followers whooped and hollered as if they had heard this for the first time. It's not the point of what he said, it's how he says it and how you idiots act like it's all revolutionary.

And yes, Cosby did say this exact same thing, but he wasn'tthe black messiah. The way folks are swooning all over achmed, you'd think he was the second coming. So when you post bull$hit like this as some great minded proposal, I and others tend to see it for what its worth.....empty political rhetoric.

And all this can be ours if achmed just gives us free health care.

Wonder what great insight he'll give to world next.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?

Dear Mr. CCTAU,

Please read my post again. I believe that I was not being approving of Mr. Obama but rather saying pretty much what you did, just in perhaps a nicer and more rational way. And I resent being called an idiot. I am no more of an idiot than you. You have a way of always calling people with whom you disagree nasty names and it only makes you look bad. Grow up and have a reasonable discussion and you'll get farther toward making people see your viewpoint. I thank you for your time. Anne

Dear Mr. CCTAU,

Please read my post again. I believe that I was not being approving of Mr. Obama but rather saying pretty much what you did, just in perhaps a nicer and more rational way. And I resent being called an idiot. I am no more of an idiot than you. You have a way of always calling people with whom you disagree nasty names and it only makes you look bad. Grow up and have a reasonable discussion and you'll get farther toward making people see your viewpoint. I thank you for your time. Anne

It wasn't aimed at you. The first part was sarcasm. The second was aimed at the folks who support achmed. Now if you support achmed, what was said may just apply to you.

I just used your post because I agreed with it.

Oh no. Achmed Obama was the first and only one to think of this. And my post was in disbelief that these ignorant followers whooped and hollered as if they had heard this for the first time. It's not the point of what he said, it's how he says it and how you idiots act like it's all revolutionary.

And yes, Cosby did say this exact same thing, but he wasn'tthe black messiah. The way folks are swooning all over achmed, you'd think he was the second coming. So when you post bull$hit like this as some great minded proposal, I and others tend to see it for what its worth.....empty political rhetoric.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?

I'll end my prayer for you with an "Amen."

CAN I GET AN AMEN?

I'll end my prayer for you with an "Amen."

I don't mind you praying for me, I just prefer that someone God actually listens to pray for me. :blink:

Archived