How Healthy is John McCain?

RunInRed

For the record, I had looked it up, because I check reliable resources before I make such comments.

As a matter of fact, what Mike posted was one of the first sources I had found.

You can spin it all you want, but you know why you posted that article and it was not for the reasons you stated. That article was about McCain's age and physical health, nothing about the reasons you tried to bring up after the fact.

For the record, I had looked it up, because I check reliable resources before I make such comments.

You can spin it all you want, but you know why you posted that article and it was not for the reasons you stated. That article was about McCain's age and physical health, nothing about the reasons you tried to bring up after the fact.

Ummm no, but if it makes you feel better to think that then OK. Bottom line: He's old, dull and boring and is the equivalent of a lifeless wet noodle - but you guys are stuck with him this election cycle, so I'll try to be nice and stay more on topic. ;)

Ummm no, but if it makes you feel better to think that then OK. Bottom line: He's old, dull and boring and is the equivalent of a lifeless wet noodle - but you guys are stuck with him this election cycle, so I'll try to be nice and stay more on topic. ;)

Dude! Have you heard Obama speak lately? He has to pause in between every 3rd and 4th word. Maybe he has to pause to get his breath from all them cigs he has been smoking.

Not all shiny gifts under the tree are good gifts. I once wrapped a padded toilet seat in beautiful shiny paper for a white elephant party. That reminds me of achmed every time I think about it. With him, this feels like a white elephant election.

May not be as unhealthy as some would have us or want us to believe.

Report: McCain appears cancer-free, healthy

FOUNTAIN HILLS, Ariz. (AP) — Three-time melanoma survivor John McCain appears cancer-free, has a strong heart and is in otherwise general good health, according to eight years of medical records reviewed by The Associated Press. The Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting remains at risk for developing new skin cancers, and gets a thorough check by a Mayo Clinic dermatologist every few months. "I do not see any worrisome lesions," Dr. Suzanne Connolly concluded after McCain's most recent exam, on May 12.

The details of McCain's health are contained in 1,173 pages of medical documents spanning 2000 to 2008 that his campaign made available to the AP to make the case that he's healthy enough to serve as president, as well as to counter the notion that he's too old. The Arizona senator will turn 72 in August and would be the oldest elected president.

Like many aging Americans, McCain takes medicine to keep his cholesterol in check.

But Mayo internist Dr. John Eckstein, his longtime personal physician, lauded McCain's performance on a heart stress test — sweating it out for 10 minutes when Eckstein routinely sees patients decades younger quit at five or seven minutes.

"I think physiologically he is considerably younger than his chronologic age based on his cardiovascular fitness," Eckstein said in an interview Thursday. "I got a call from the cardiologist who said that he had not seen anyone that age exercise for that long in a long time."

McCain's most recent exams show a range of health issues common in aging: He frequently has precancerous skin lesions removed, and in February had an early stage squamous cell carcinoma, an easily cured skin cancer, removed. He had benign colon growths called polyps taken out during a routine colonoscopy in March.

The Vietnam veteran has degenerative arthritis from war injuries that might mean a future joint replacement. His blood pressure and weight were healthy, and his cholesterol good but not optimal — and he switched medication from the controversial Vytorin that made headlines this past winter to a proven standby, simvastatin.

His likely Democratic rival, Barack Obama, will be 47 in August. Obama, lean and agile and a frequent basketball player, says he has quit smoking. Neither he nor Democratic opponent Hillary Rodham Clinton has released health records.

It is McCain's three bouts of melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer, that raise the biggest health concerns. He has had four separate spots of melanoma removed from his head and arm on three occasions — in 1993, 2000 and 2002. Three spots were very early stage, when they were in the uppermost skin surface and easily cut out.

But one, on his left temple in 2000, was invasive melanoma, what doctors call an "intermediate risk" melanoma because of its thickness — 2.2 millimeters. McCain required delicate surgery to remove and examine lymph nodes that showed no sign of spread.

"We don't have a crystal ball, but we have no way to say anything at the present time would preclude him from running for office," said dermatologist Connolly.

The 10-year survival rate for that intermediate melanoma is 65%, said Dr. Stuart Lessin, director of the melanoma risk-assessment program at Philadelphia's Fox Chase Cancer Center, who was not involved in McCain's care.

"He's not cured," Lessin said. Still, the biggest risk of recurrence is in the first few years, so at eight years out, the chances of melanoma returning at that spot and killing him is "in the single digits," he added. "He's pretty much out of the woods."

But every bout of cancer increases the risk of another new cancer. Given McCain's fair skin and history of sunburns, mostly from the 5 1/2 years he was held outdoors while in Vietnamese prison camps, he has a 5% to 8% chance of developing a fifth melanoma, Lessin calculated. Good checkups, however, mean any future melanoma should be caught in time to treat successfully, he said.

Early on in the primaries, a number of voters said McCain's age was a problem, but recent surveys suggest it may not be as big an issue. An ABC News-Washington Post poll conducted in April found 70% saying McCain's age would not make any difference to their vote. Other recent polls found similar results, with two-thirds or more saying his age doesn't matter.

McCain has shrugged off the issue by highlighting his stamina and strong genes. He has recalled his "rim-to-rim" Grand Canyon hike in 2006; he has campaigned with his energetic mother, age 96.

During his first presidential run, eight years ago, McCain disclosed hundreds of pages of records to reporters as he sought then to counter what aides called a "whisper campaign" questioning his mental fitness. In those records, medical personnel concluded that his years in prison, including solitary confinement, left him with no psychological wounds. Aides said McCain has had no mental evaluations in the past eight years and none was included in the documents.

This time, the AP examined the documents over several hours Thursday in a conference room of a resort just outside of Phoenix and a few miles from the posh Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, where McCain receives most of his medical care under a pseudonym — which the AP was asked not to disclose. Coincidentally, the release came the same week that McCain's close friend, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, revealed that he had a cancerous brain tumor.

The documents include very personal details, such as the fact that he had earwax removed earlier this year and the dermatologist showed McCain's wife, Cindy, how to monitor possibly suspicious skin spots hidden by his waistband. Though he's known as temperamental, the doctors made a point of repeatedly writing in the documents that McCain was "pleasant."

Also revealed: He has occasional momentary episodes of dizziness, when he gets up suddenly. McCain first told a doctor about them in 2000 — a visit that also uncovered the melanoma — and intense testing concluded they were harmless vertigo. He didn't report any episodes at his most recent exam.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Link

Also here

Last but not least!

Healthy? Yes. Old, dull and boring? Yes.

But, your original post stated How Healthy is John McCain. So if you knew that he was healthy, then why ask that question other than to put doubt in someones mind about his age and health?

But, your original post stated How Healthy is John McCain. So if you knew that he was healthy, then why ask that question other than to put doubt in someones mind about his age and health?

As I pointed out numerous times above:

I'm much more concerned about his policies than his health. And more concerned about his age than his skin cancer. To state the obvious, he's old, dull, and boring. He could not inspire an eager college graduate who just consumed a case of red bull.

As for VP, some youth would certainly help him. I don't see how he appeals to any one under 50.

So it's not about his physical "health" so-to-speak, as much as it is about his ability to meet the demands of the job and his ability to inspire the nation and rally the world.

I know you like this guy, but I just think he's going up against history here. He's going to have an uphill battle and his age will be an issue (especially when contrasted against some one 30yrs younger) whether I bring it up or not. Just imagine for a second Obama's convention speech and the energy in Denver - now think about McCain's. Any questions?

I hope the Obama campaign keeps hammering him about his age. It would help McCain steal votes away from the older crowd as they will feel snubbed by the remarks, much as Mondale did with Reagan in the 80's. Walter paid dearly for that in the election.

I'm much more concerned about his policies than his health. And more concerned about his age than his skin cancer. To state the obvious, he's old, dull, and boring. He could not inspire an eager college graduate who just consumed a case of red bull.

As for VP, some youth would certainly help him. I don't see how he appeals to any one under 50.

So it's not about his "health" so-to-speak, as much as it is about his ability to meet the demands of the job and his ability to inspire the nation and rally the world.

I know you like this guy, but I just think he's going up against history here. He's going to have an uphill battle and his age will be an issue (especially when contrasted against some one 30yrs younger) whether I bring it up or not. Just imagine for a second Obama's convention speech and the energy in Denver - now think about McCain's. Any questions?

SWALLOW MUCH?

I hope the Obama campaign keeps hammering him about his age. It would help McCain steal votes away from the older crowd as they will feel snubbed by the remarks, much as Mondale did with Reagan in the 80's. Walter paid dearly for that in the election.

The Obama campaign isn't.

So it's not about his "health" so-to-speak, as much as it is about his ability to meet the demands of the job and his ability to inspire the nation and rally the world.

:roflol:

Apparently you have never read any of my post, I am not fan of McCain, just a bigger fan of McCain than Obama or Hillary.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23749867/

Candidates' health can decide an election

Contenders' disclosure of medical history has often been partial at best

By Tom Curry

National affairs writer

updated 9:37 a.m. CT, Fri., May. 23, 2008

WASHINGTON - According to eight years of Sen. John McCain’s medical records reviewed by The Associated Press, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee appears to be cancer-free and is generally in good health.

On Friday, other news media organizations get their chance to examine McCain's medical records.

Since the start of the primary season, McCain's age, 71, and his earlier melanoma diagnosis have been the subject of great debate.

If elected, the Arizona legislator would be the oldest person to ever be inaugurated as president.

Whether age or illness will affect McCain's chances of victory in November is uncertain.

But there are historical precedents — sometimes, a candidate's health can help decide an election.

Bruise bruises Nixon campaign

Republican nominee Richard Nixon didn’t know it on that day in August of 1960, but when he whacked his kneecap on a car door in Greensboro, N.C., it may have cost him the election.

Nixon’s knee bump seemed like just an everyday bruise.

But the pain persisted and after a test for infection, his doctor called him and said, “You better get out to the hospital or you will be campaigning on one leg.”

Nixon had a staph infection. His doctor ordered him to remain in the hospital for two weeks and receive massive doses of antibiotics.

From his hospital bed Nixon watched as his opponent, Democrat John F. Kennedy, charmed the voters. The pain in Nixon’s knee was bad, but he wrote later “the mental suffering was infinitely worse.”

As soon he was released from the hospital, he threw himself into frenetic campaigning, became exhausted and ill and arrived in Chicago on the night of his first debate with Kennedy, as his biographer Stephen Ambrose wrote, “about ten pounds underweight, his shirt collar loose around his neck… his face wan.”

An hour before the debate when the two candidates entered the TV studio in Chicago, "It was apparent to Nixon that he had made a mistake" in agreeing to debate Kennedy, said the debate moderator Howard K. Smith in his memoirs. Nixon "was downcast; he knew it was a mistake."

Nixon decided to not wear makeup. On the television screen, he looked, according to journalist Theodore H. White in The Making of the President 1960, “tense, almost frightened, at turns glowering and occasionally haggard-looking to the point of sickness.”

Those listening to the debate on radio thought that Nixon and Kennedy had performed equally well; those watching on television deemed Kennedy the winner.

Kennedy "later told me he won the election that night," Smith wrote.

Illness can decide the outcome

Nixon’s knee illustrates how a candidate’s illnesses and injuries may help determine the outcome of an election. That truth applies both to candidates and their running mates.

Having won the 1968 election, Nixon was up for a second term in 1972.

The 1972 Democratic convention chose Sen. George McGovern as its presidential nominee and confirmed his choice of Sen. Thomas Eagleton as his running mate.

Two weeks after the convention, Eagleton told McGovern that he’d been hospitalized for “nervous exhaustion and fatigue” three times from 1960 to 1966.

The Knight newspaper chain was about to run the story, so Eagleton summoned a press conference and uttered frightening words: He’d had electric shock treatments after periods of exhaustion.

A reporter asked, “Did you find during these periods of exhaustion that it affected your ability to make rational judgments?”

No, Eagleton explained. “I was depressed. My spirits were depressed.”

Today, with ample advertising for anti-depression drugs, many Americans are familiar with depression as a condition that affects them or people they know. But in 1972, depression was more politically explosive.

McGovern’s aides had not thought to ask Eagleton during their vetting of him whether he’d been treated for depression. And Eagleton said years later that it didn't occur to him to mention his three hospitalizations to McGovern. The McGovern aides did ask if he had ever used drugs or had drunk alcohol to excess.

After the story broke, McGovern stood by Eagleton, telling reporters the Missouri senator was “fully qualified in mind, body and spirit” to “take on the presidency on a moment’s notice.” McGovern added, “I don’t have the slightest doubt about the wisdom of my judgment in selecting him as my running mate.”

Why Eagleton had to go

But after six days, McGovern decided Eagleton had to go. “Continued debate between those who oppose his candidacy and those who favor it will serve to further divide the party and the nation,” McGovern told reporters.

The Eagleton affair did nothing for McGovern's credibility, but it was only one of his many problems in the 1972 campaign. He lost to Nixon in a landslide.

After Eagleton’s death in 2007, McGovern said that he'd erred in dumping him from the ticket. "My first reaction was to say I was going to stay with him," McGovern told the AP. "But gosh, the outcry across the country was pretty intense. We felt that since we were starting a new campaign we needed to get that off the front page and we needed to get Tom to step down.”

Clark Hoyt, one of the correspondents for The Miami Herald who broke the story in 1972, wrote after Eagleton’s death, “I believe that Eagleton's mental health history was relevant to his fitness for the office he was seeking, a heartbeat away from control of the nation's military and nuclear arsenal, perhaps in a moment of international crisis."

He added, "We don't know how well Eagleton might have stood up under such stress because he never authorized any of his doctors to talk to the press or [authorized] the release of his medical records.”

While a candidate’s belated disclosure of his medical history can be disastrous, no disclosure at all sometimes has helped a candidate skate past Election Day successfully.

Kennedy's disease in 1960

At the 1960 Democratic convention in Los Angeles, Kennedy, 43, sought to portray himself as more physically fit than his rival Sen. Lyndon Johnson, 52, who’d suffered a heart attack in 1955.

In an implied contrast with both Johnson and with President Eisenhower, who himself had suffered a heart attack in 1955 and a stroke in 1957, Kennedy said the next president needed to have “the strength and health and vigor” of a young man.

In a last-ditch effort to block Kennedy from winning the nomination, two Johnson supporters called a press conference to reveal that Kennedy had long suffered from Addison’s disease, an ailment that, left untreated, could have killed him.

(One of those Johnson allies was John Connolly. In a twist of history, Connolly was in the limousine with Kennedy in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963 and was wounded in the assassination that killed the president.)

Kennedy’s campaign manager, his brother Robert, devised a statement from his doctors which denied that Kennedy had Addison’s disease, but instead suffered only from an “adrenal insufficiency.” It was “a remarkable piece of political double talk,” said Kenneth Crispell and Carlos Gomez in their book "Hidden Illness in the White House." But it helped muffle the controversy.

Even more successful than Kennedy in 1960 in keeping his medical condition secret was President Franklin Roosevelt in 1944.

Roosevelt's ill health in 1944

A cardiologist diagnosed FDR with extreme hypertension and heart disease eight months before the 1944 election. But this was known by only a few people in the White House.

In the fall campaign, Roosevelt's Republican opponent, Gov. Thomas Dewey of New York, made jabbing references to “the tired old men” in the White House.

And voters who watched Roosevelt on newsreels at their movie theaters could see he was thin and tired, not the ebullient crusader he had been in 1940, when he won his third term. But they did not know how sick he was. Roosevelt won a fourth term on Nov. 7, 1944, and died just five months later.

In 1992, Democratic presidential contender Paul Tsongas opted for partial disclosure.

The former Massachusetts senator told voters that he had recovered from the lymphatic cancer that he’d had seven years earlier. Tsongas invited the news media to photograph him swimming laps in a pool to demonstrate his good health. He accused his rivals of “trying to spread (false) stories” about his health.

"I don't believe even if it came back it would kill me in a four-year period," he said in March of 1992, a few weeks after beating Bill Clinton in the New Hampshire primary.

Belated disclosure about Tsongas

Tsongas soon ran out of money and dropped out of the race. Shortly after his exit, his doctors admitted that he had suffered a recurrence of cancer in 1987, less than a year after undergoing a bone marrow transplant.

Tsongas had another recurrence of cancer in November 1992 and died of pneumonia on Jan. 18, 1997.

The episode raised questions: What if Tsongas had beaten Clinton in ’92 and gone on to win the presidency? How would a fatally ill president have functioned? Could he have done his job while undergoing chemotherapy?

The 25th Amendment to the Constitution, ratified in 1967, sets up a procedure for a president to temporarily step aside and have the vice president serve as acting president.

It also allows for a two-thirds vote by Congress to decide who should serve when there's a dispute between the president, on the one hand, and his vice president and cabinet officers, on the other, on whether the president is able to serve.

Reagan's mental acuity questioned

In 1984, the issue wasn't so much physical fitness as mental acuity.

At age 73, Ronald Reagan was running for a second term against Democrat Walter Mondale, a man 17 years younger than he. Reagan's mental sharpness became a concern after his answers in their first debate came across as muddled.

Two days after the debate, the Wall Street Journal reported, “Until Sunday night's debate, age hadn't been much of an issue in the election campaign. That may now be changing. The president's rambling responses and occasional apparent confusion injected an unpredictable new element into the race.”

But Reagan defused the controversy by using humor in his second debate with Mondale: “I will not make age an issue in this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent’s youth and inexperience.”

Reagan ended up winning 49 out of 50 states.

and be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the CNN special about health and the presidency!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/05/23/mccai...ords/index.html

McCain in 'excellent health,' doctor says

FOUNTAIN HILLS, Arizona (CNN) -- -- There's no medical reason to prevent Sen. John McCain from being president, the doctor for the presumptive GOP nominee said in a statement the McCain campaign released Friday.

McCain has had five skin cancers, including a growth that was removed in February of this year, but there is no sign any of the cancers have recurred.

Still, each incidence of cancer increases the likelihood he will have a new tumor, CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta said.

But his doctor on Friday said he is currently in "excellent health and displays extraordinary energy."

"While it is impossible to predict any person's future health, today I can find no medical reason or problems that would preclude Sen. McCain from fulfilling all the duties and obligations of president of the United States," said Dr. John D. Eckstein, an internal medicine specialist at the Mayo Clinic.

McCain, who turns 72 in August, would be the oldest person to be elected to a first term as president if he wins in November. He has been treated for skin cancer three times and was a prisoner of war in the Vietnam War for 5½ years.

McCain has had no recurrence of skin cancer since it was surgically removed in 2000, Eckstein said.

"We continue to find no evidence of metastasis or recurrence of the invasive melanoma as we approach the eighth anniversary of that operation," he said.

"This was most recently confirmed with his comprehensive examination and tests" in March, he noted, and with Dr. Suzanne M. Connolly's skin examination on May 12.

"The prognosis for Sen. McCain is good because the time of greatest risk for recurrence of invasive melanoma is within the first few years after the surgery."

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent who reviewed the medical records, found new details about the 2000 operation.

The surgeon, Dr. Michael Hinni, wrote in the records that "through an abundance of caution," the surgery was aggressive, removing some of the senator's lymph nodes as well as the tumor.

McCain developed swelling beneath the skin and had to be taken back for a second operation.

Hinni said the prominence of the senator's left jaw is not a sign of cancer.

"This is a result of an absence of soft tissue on the face in front of his ear that makes the masseter (the chewing muscle) over the jaw appear more prominent," he said in the statement the campaign issued. "To be clear, the swelling is not due to any evidence of cancer."

McCain is checked for skin cancer every three to four months, Connolly said in the statement.

He has been treated for bladder stones and has kidney stones, the clinic said, but they do not affect urologic function. He has no evidence of cardiovascular disease.

The senator has used the Mayo Clinic in Arizona since 1992. He checks in under a pseudonym.

McCain's cholesterol levels are potentially worrying, Gupta found, but his blood pressure is good.

Heart disease, the leading cause of death in America, could be a risk factor for McCain because of his age and family history, making his blood pressure and cholesterol levels relevant.

His father, Adm. John S. McCain Jr., died of a heart attack at age 70.

The statement listed the medications McCain takes:

• Simvastatin, a cholesterol-lowering medicine

• Hydrochlorothiazide, for kidney stone prevention

• Amiloride, which preserves potassium in the bloodstream

• Aspirin, for blood clot prevention

• Zyrtec, an antihistamine, which he uses as necessary for nasal allergies

• Ambien CR, used as necessary to help him sleep when traveling

• A multiple-vitamin tablet

That is "about average for a man his age," Gupta said.

He does not take pain medication to deal with the after-effects of his Vietnam injuries, which resulted after his ejection from a plane in 1967 and torture as a POW, the clinic said.

But he has badly damaged joints as a result of his experience in Vietnam -- to this day he cannot fully raise his arms -- and he may someday need to need to have both shoulders replaced, depending on how bad his joints get.

He was a two-pack-a-day smoker for 25 years, but quit in 1980.

McCain is releasing his medical records voluntarily. He did the same when he ran for president in 2000.

The two Democratic presidential candidates, Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, haven't released their doctors' files.

Based on the report just released, he's pretty damn healthy.

Where are Barack and Hillary's medical records ?

Obama in 'excellent health,' doctor says

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Democratic presidential front-runner Sen. Barack Obama is in excellent health, according to a statement from his doctor released by the campaign.

Obama, 46, last saw Dr. David Scheiner in January 2007, shortly before he declared he was running for president.

Scheiner, who has been Obama's primary doctor since 1987, observed that the Illinois senator's diet, weight, blood pressure and cholesterol were all healthy.

"In short, his examination showed him to be in excellent health," Scheiner said.

The Illinois senator has been an "intermittent" cigarette smoker who has "quit on several occasions and is currently using Nicorette gum with success."

Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee for president, released his own health records last week.

A team of doctors from the Mayo Clinic declared that there appears to be no physical reason why the 71-year-old candidate could not carry out the duties of the office.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/29/oba...ords/index.html

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05...iner.letter.pdf

Archived