Saban announces the hiring of his' AD

WAR-MATT

He's not a control freak? Right...... B)

link

ALABAMA HIRES MIKE VOLLMAR AS ASSOCIATE ATHLETICS DIRECTOR FOR FOOTBALL

Per UA Media Relations

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Alabama head coach Nick Saban announced the hiring of Mike Vollmar as associate athletics director for football on Thursday. Vollmar comes to Alabama after spending 12 years as an assistant athletics director and director of football operations at Michigan State. His primary role at UA will be to oversee the administration and operation of the football program.

“We are pleased and happy to add someone the caliber of Mike Vollmar to our football staff,” said head coach Nick Saban. “When we worked together at Michigan State, Mike did an outstanding job as an administrator and was a tremendous asset to the overall success of our football program. Mike is one of the most well respected leaders in the field of football operations nationally and we are very fortunate to bring Mike on board at Alabama.”

Vollmar’s duties at Michigan State included internal and external operations of the football program. He also managed the football budget, team travel, scheduling, camps, and the construction of a new $12 million football facility. Vollmar served as the liaison between Michigan State and NFL scouts as well as high school coaches. He also served on the AFCA National Committee for Directors of Football Operations and the Board of Directors for the MSU Football Players Association, Duffy Daugherty Memorial Award and Mid-Michigan Touchdown Club.

“My family and I are very excited about joining an institution with the excellent academic and athletic reputation the University Alabama carries nationally,” said Vollmar. “It is special to be a part of a program that has one of the greatest traditions in all of college football. I am looking forward to being back with Nick and working with an outstanding staff of coaches and administrators at Alabama.”

Prior to joining MSU, Vollmar spent five years at Syracuse where the Orangemen posted a record of 42-15-1. He served as recruiting and personnel coordinator from 1991-93 and director of football and recruiting operations from 1994-96 under Paul Pasqualoni. Four players recruited during that time were named to Syracuse’s All-Century team, including Donovan McNabb, Donovan Darius, Kevin Johnson and Kevin Abrams. Syracuse won three bowl games in his five years (’92 Hall of Fame, ’93 Fiesta and ’96 Gator Bowls).

Vollmar spent three seasons as assistant recruiting coordinator and in athletic administration under the late Bo Schembechler and Gary Moeller at Michigan (1988-90). The Wolverines went 28-7-1 during his stint in Ann Arbor, winning three Big Ten championships, with two Rose Bowl appearances and a Gator Bowl appearance. Mike’s father, James, was a running back at Michigan from 1956-58.

Vollmar participated in track and field as a pole-vaulter at Siena Heights College in Adrian, Mich., where he received a bachelor’s degree in history with a minor in speech communications in 1988. He earned a master’s degree in sports management from the United States Sports Academy in Daphne, Ala. in 1989.

Vollmar is married to the former Tami Schneck and the couple has a daughter, Bailey Lauren.

Don't kid yourself............he did. He made the hire and the announcement both. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be? Just don't tell admm.

you know that mal moore hired mike shula right? He made his the hire of his career with Nick Saban. I wouldn't be surprised if Moore even knows what is going on anymore

Doesn't the athletic director usually make these hires?

Didn't you get the memo? Only $abun speaks to the press. Every other football employee has to agree to a voluntary gag order as a condition of employment. It's part of the "process."

What will be his role in recruiting?

Manning the video for the teleconference. The last guy set the camera too high...

What will be his role in recruiting?

Manning the video for the teleconference. The last guy set the camera too high...

Now, that's just plain funny.

My guess is that this is yet another dodge of NCAA rules. Rules state you can only have a certain number of people with direct responsibilities to football. Well, then, call him an Athletic Department Administrator.

Why did Saban introduce this guy?

Doesn't the AD usually do this type of stuff?

Not at UAT. B)

I saw something else mentioned when this topic was brought up. Guess who is no longer listed on the UAT football support staff? Our good ole former Hoover asst. coach Jeremy Pruitt. <_<

Why did Saban introduce this guy?

Doesn't the AD usually do this type of stuff?

Not at UAT. B)

I saw something else mentioned when this topic was brought up. Guess who is no longer listed on the UAT football support staff? Our good ole former Hoover asst. coach Jeremy Pruitt. <_<

maybe because Mal Moore told him to? or do you really REALLY think that CNS:

A. went off on his own to announce this without anybody knowing

B. told Mal Moore that he was going to announce it because he enjoys speaking with the media so much

its funny watching some of you try and spin something to death to try and make it look horrible on somebody.

quick name another coach that announces the hiring of an AAD? :no:

What happened to Pruitt? B)

Another way to skirt the rules....that just somehow seems like...........EXACTLY WHAT CN$ WOULD TRY TO DO!

I thought all of this feel under the head coach's responsibilities?

Link

Motivator another part of 'process'

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Nick Saban has a new recruit arriving on campus later this summer and he might be more important than Julio Jones.

He wasn't a five-star on the Rivals.com list. He didn't make ESPN's 150, either. But he may help Alabama win a national championship.

He is Kevin Elko, a 49-year-old former teacher from Brownsville, Pa. He has no recorded time in the 40. Nor is he much to write home about in the weight room.

However, Saban hopes Elko can do in 2008 at Alabama what he did at LSU in 2003 — get the Tide in position to go for all the marbles.

Elko is a motivational speaker, a team shrink, another coach on the field all wrapped into one. He is an author and guiding light to several sports teams — including the Philadelphia Eagles and the University of Pittsburgh. He consults with Fortune 500 companies. He turns losers into winners.

He's also the No. 1 fan of Nick Saban. Saban is pretty high on Elko, too.

On the back cover of Elko's recent book, "The Pep Talk, A Football Story About the Business of Winning," Saban says the following: "I've been there when Elko has given one of his famous talks and he really fires everyone up. I'll never let anyone else speak to my team."

Later this summer, Elko will head to Tuscaloosa to work with the entire Alabama football organization. His plan is simple.

"What I do is put in a step-by-step process for winning," Elko said.

Elko's philosophy is about delivering a simple message and then reinforcing the point. In fact, Saban tapes Elko's sessions with his coaches and players, then breaks it down like game film.

"It's repetition," Elko said. "A great coach won't say 500 different things once. He'll say one thing 500 times."

Elko did this with LSU in 2003. The Tigers were coming off a difficult season, one which ended with a bad bowl loss which followed a late collapse against Arkansas. The final regular-season shocker cost LSU a trip to Atlanta.

"We start with a picture," Elko said. He backs this point up by painting an image of what happened at the Sugar Bowl moments after LSU won the national title in 2003. A television reporter congratulated Skyler Green, the star LSU wide receiver, for having won the game.

"Congratulation for winning tonight," he said.

"We didn't win tonight," Green said. "We dreamed this for a long, long time."

Another one of Elko's sayings is "no mental clutter."

Elko said a reporter asked Saban the night before the championship game what his main goal against Oklahoma would be the next day.

"No mental clutter," said the head coach.

To say the least, Saban and Elko have a mutual admiration society.

"He stands alone," Elko said. "In terms of talent and execution, I think he is without peer. Where he is special is in the execution of a plan, his ability to stay on process."

Elko points to Saban's organization in every facet of the game — particularly recruiting.

"A lot of people that think in winning you have to add something on," Elko said. "What I tell people is get rid of all things in your life that aren't winning and winning will find you. Mental clutter. Get rid of the garbage, the gossip. Get rid of everything on your mind that won't get you what you want."

Elko believes big things are in store for Alabama fans. "I think you guys will have a lot of fun ahead," Elko said.

He may be right. If so, what took Saban so long to get him down there? Or, as Saban likes to say, "It's just part of the process."

Contact Paul Finebaum at:

finebaumnet@yahoo.com

His column appears Tuesdays and Saturdays in the Press-Register.

Is this guy full time or part time?

I don't know. It's just hard to believe a football "god" like Saban has to hire someone to motivate his' team for him... B)

I don't know. It's just hard to believe a football "god" like Saban has to hire someone to motivate his' team for him... B)

I guess if you don't have personality, you have to buy $ome.

NFL teams and Fortune 500 companies also use him, so don't act like UA is the only team doing it. i think alot of teams have sports psychiatrists. if it helps the kids develop as a person and it helps the team, then so be it. i guess CTT is a horrible coach and has no personality because he has Brother Chette around?

NFL teams and Fortune 500 companies also use him, so don't act like UA is the only team doing it. i think alot of teams have sports psychiatrists. if it helps the kids develop as a person and it helps the team, then so be it. i guess CTT is a horrible coach and has no personality because he has Brother Chette around?

Shut it, stupid bammer. Shouldn't you be off hacking into computers to fix Thugio Jones and Gangsterell Harris's grades to get into school. Psssst, bammer, I got knews for you, it's not gonna matter, cuz we're puttin up 7, 8, 9, and 10 on those thugs bammer! High character men over those stupid, cheating thugs, same as it ever was! :au:

Archived