Strange "joke" by Clemson's DC

quietfan

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/08/clemso...t_about_ju.html

As if this heavily anticipated game was lacking juice, how about some more?

Check out these comments from Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning. He recruits the South, so he was asked fairly generically about if he's run into new starter Julio Jones?

"I actually ran into Julio in the spring recruiting," Koenning told six reporters who cover Clemson today. "I said hello to him. I said, 'Well, I guess I'll be seeing you at the end of August.' And then he got out and got in his Escalade and drove off. That's (being) serious. And then I went over and watched Burton Scott at Vigor High School at the track over there, and Burton Scott was running around. He went and got in his Escalade out at track practice and drove off. So I'm familiar with those two guys."

Wow, huh? I mean... wow.

Read the CU accounts here (http://pstrelow.thestateonline.com/?p=115 ) and here. It's worth noting that Koenning sought out The State's reporter Paul Strelow later to make sure the media knew he was kidding around. Noted.

Not that it matters, but I do know that Scott drives a funny looking orange sedan. Whatever.

Does this become significant locker room material in Tuscaloosa? Why would an opposing coach say this? How many eyebrows does this raise at NCAA offices, or does it at all?

Just seems like a strange way for a coach to go when talking to reporters. (Although not as dumb as making "coonass/'F'd my wife'"" jokes, I suppose. :rolleyes: )

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out these comments from Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning. He recruits the South, so he was asked fairly generically about if he's run into new starter Julio Jones?

"I actually ran into Julio in the spring recruiting," Koenning told six reporters who cover Clemson today. "I said hello to him. I said, 'Well, I guess I'll be seeing you at the end of August.' And then he got out and got in his Escalade and drove off. That's (being) serious. And then I went over and watched Burton Scott at Vigor High School at the track over there, and Burton Scott was running around. He went and got in his Escalade out at track practice and drove off. So I'm familiar with those two guys."

Wow, huh? I mean... wow.

Read the CU accounts here (http://pstrelow.thestateonline.com/?p=115 ) and here. It's worth noting that Koenning sought out The State's reporter Paul Strelow later to make sure the media knew he was kidding around. Noted.

Not that it matters, but I do know that Scott drives a funny looking orange sedan. Whatever.

Does this become significant locker room material in Tuscaloosa? Why would an opposing coach say this? How many eyebrows does this raise at NCAA offices, or does it at all?

Just seems like a strange way for a coach to go when talking to reporters. (Although not as dumb as making "coonass/'F'd my wife'"" jokes, I suppose. :rolleyes: )

who was the guy Clemson recruited that had the pic on his myspace holding like $20K with the caption "the reason i picked Clemson"? you would think jokes like that would be fairly taboo around Clemson these days....

I have heard from too many sources that Hoolio does indeed drive a crimson escalade. Scott, I dont have a clue.

I have heard from too many sources that Hoolio does indeed drive a crimson escalade. Scott, I dont have a clue.

nope, the white T-ho went with him. i could just as easily say Joe Blow on AU's team is driving an orange Navigator. the escalade rumor has been going around since i don't know when. it was going around that he had a red escalade with Oklahoma plates in his driveway because his mom was dating an OU booster. that was untrue also.

nope, the white T-ho went with him. i could just as easily say Joe Blow on AU's team is driving an orange Navigator. the escalade rumor has been going around since i don't know when. it was going around that he had a red escalade with Oklahoma plates in his driveway because his mom was dating an OU booster. that was untrue also.

Not so fast my friend...

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010&t=2857413

Both of them have accident reports driving Escalades in Mobile that they did not own. It's a matter of public record.

Having read that poster for a while, I would bet that the stories are true. BTW, I KNOW from Finebaum that Jones and a friend arrived at the L'Arch Event in Mobile in a white stretch limo. They were the only attendees to arrive in a limo. Sore thumbs and such...

this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black..... either way, it's another good opportunity to post this pic. B)

n7022171_38024925_7365.jpg

So, Saban has to offer Caddies now to get the guys to come play there. Offering a free Tahoe is not enough?

Not so fast my friend...

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010&t=2857413

Both of them have accident reports driving Escalades in Mobile that they did not own. It's a matter of public record.

Having read that poster for a while, I would bet that the stories are true. BTW, I KNOW from Finebaum that Jones and a friend arrived at the L'Arch Event in Mobile in a white stretch limo. They were the only attendees to arrive in a limo. Sore thumbs and such...

lol this person just happens to know that two guys miraculously both had accidents, both in Mobile, and both were driving Escalades. well, it was on a message board, so it HAS to be the truth. thats pretty odd, the accident report must have just *POOF* disappeared because through the resources i have access to, a report including that name could not be found. since apparently he knows everything about the situation, perhaps he could include the exact date of the report. darn REC at work once again.....making accident reports just go away. who is the other guy he is talking about and i will search that name out also.

I don't know a dang thing about Bama giving these cats free cars, but I do know that Freddie Milons got a new ride. I went to SHS at the time. He went from a standard high school car to a red (not crimson) SUV about a week after committing. So Bama at least USED TO do this kind of thing. I seriously doubt they'd do anything so blatant now though.

I don't know a dang thing about Bama giving these cats free cars, but I do know that Freddie Milons got a new ride. I went to SHS at the time. He went from a standard high school car to a red (not crimson) SUV about a week after committing. So Bama at least USED TO do this kind of thing. I seriously doubt they'd do anything so blatant now though.

Please, Freddie Milons was never good enough to deserve a new ride. If you had proof of him having a vehicle provided by the University of Alabama, prove it. If not you should not say such things.

I used to not feel that people should not lose their jobs just because they made a stupid mistake and opened their mouth and said something stupid. I have changed my mind. There are so many people out there that are losing their jobs, because of remarks that can be considered racial, and previously these remarks would not have been taken seriously, but now they are.

People should not be allowed to just go around and say remarks about football programs/players such as this. If you have proof, fine then report it and be a man, don't say little silly remarks, and then run someone down to say "I was just kidding". Perhaps if it cost him his living, he would think before he made such remarks. Clemson had people saying the same thing about some of their players, and so did Arkansas with Darren Mcfadden.

You think it's a rumor Jones was driving an Escalade? I choose to believe the Clemson coach who associated his name with it and said he saw it with his own eyes.

You think it's a rumor Jones was driving an Escalade? I choose to believe the Clemson coach who associated his name with it and said he saw it with his own eyes.

.....and said he was joking.

Do you think that had something to do with being told to? CTB has put a gag order on all his assistants from here on out. This isn't some Joe-schmoo on an internet message board it's a coach that recruits against the mighty Tahd. Remember when Spurrier made the comment about UAT scholarships being worth more than UF's? He said he was joking as well at the time. How’d that turn out for you?

You believe this coach. Would you be willing to testify in a court of law that you know this to be true, or you just want to say that you just happen to believe a coach whose team we will be playing this week-end(funny how timing is everything). You still put your faith in someone that after thinking about what he just did goes running after reporters saying "I was just kidding". If you have facts, be a man and prove it, and quit hiding behind "oh I was just kidding" remarks, and think that makes it ok, because it doesn't.

Nothing new here. This is standard operational procedure for west vance. Has been for decades. You think it will stop or INCREASE with the $4mil boy at the helm?

I haven't seen anywhere he said he was joking. link?

All I know is what I read in today's Huntsville Times in an article by Gentry Ellis.....the bama beatwriter

He quotes Koenning as saying (after he finished talking with Jones) "and then he got out and got in his Caddilac Escalade and drove off. That's serious."

Nothing new here. This is standard operational procedure for west vance. Has been for decades. You think it will stop or INCREASE with the $4mil boy at the helm?

Prove it. It is so easy to go on one of these boards and accuse people of things, but it is a little harder to prove. The tables could be turned ya know.

You believe this coach. Would you be willing to testify in a court of law that you know this to be true, or you just want to say that you just happen to believe a coach whose team we will be playing this week-end(funny how timing is everything). You still put your faith in someone that after thinking about what he just did goes running after reporters saying "I was just kidding". If you have facts, be a man and prove it, and quit hiding behind "oh I was just kidding" remarks, and think that makes it ok, because it doesn't.

I am saying YES I would believe a coach that is quoted by name in an article written by the Huntsville Times bama beatwriter (Gentry Ellis) before I would someone called runswithscissors who is a bam fan on an Auburn board. And if you say otherwise then you aren't even half as smart as I have given you credit for.Was Koenning kidding? I don't know. I said I was going on what I read.

Prove it. It is so easy to go on one of these boards and accuse people of things, but it is a little harder to prove. The tables could be turned ya know.

He does drive an expensive new Escalade.

Where he got it we don't know, we only can guess.

Don't have to prove anything. The NCAA has done a nice job of proving it "officially" for us in 1995, 1999 and again in 2002, and will very likely come calling again....eventually.

Coaches know once that toothpaste is out of the tube, there's no such thing as putting it back in, right?

Somebody help me here, because I'm starting to wonder if Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning got that memo.

While talking to a group of reporters on Monday, Koenning was asked a generic question about Alabama freshman receiver Julio Jones by Paul Strelow of The State newspaper in Columbia. Jones is from Foley, Ala., and Koenning has recruited the Mobile area for the Tigers and done so successfully.

Koenning's response was, well, not your typical coach-speak. Check this out and let me know where it registers on your "Wow" scale:

"Julio? You know what, I actually ran into Julio in the spring recruiting. I said 'hello' to him and said, 'I guess I'll be seeing you at the end of August.' Then he got out and got in his Escalade and drove off. That's [being] serious. And then I went over and watched (Alabama freshman) Burton Scott at Vigor High School at the track over there, and Burton Scott was running around. He went and got in his Escalade out at track practice and drove off. So I'm familiar with those two guys."

Again, there were some six reporters standing around listening to Koenning make these comments and most, if not all, had tape recorders running.

About 10 minutes later, Koenning drops the biggest bomb of all. He wanders over to Strelow to make sure the media knew he was kidding around.

Too late, coach. Those comments had already made their way back to Alabama by that time and probably were already on Nick Saban's desk.

Speaking of Jones, whose legend is growing by the day in Tuscaloosa, he's listed as a starter on the depth chart released Monday. Freshman linebacker Don'ta Hightower is also listed as a starter. Only nine freshmen in Alabama history have started a season opener.

Alabama Crimson Tide

He stated that he sought the media out to make sure they knew he was kidding!!!!!!!

Wow, huh? I mean... wow.

PT, it is right there in the original post.

Archived