French: No to Passion

DKW 86

Wasn't the same thing done here in America with 'The Last Temptation of Christ?' We had most theatres refusing to play it because it was offensive to many Christians. Were you opposed to that censorship?

There is a difference between censorship and a business decision.

I know. It depends on what you think about the subject in question whether you call it 'censorship' or a 'business decision.'

Wasn't the same thing done here in America with 'The Last Temptation of Christ?' We had most theatres refusing to play it because it was offensive to many Christians. Were you opposed to that censorship?

The problem with your argument is that "The Passion of the Christ" is based on a historical point of reference that has been studied and written about for around 2000+ years. It's fact! "The Last Temptation" was a story based on someone's imagination. "The Last Temptation of Christ" was a slap in the face to Christians. "The Passion of The Christ" is a slap in the face to no-one. Those events actually happened! The death of Christ was performed physically by the Roman Government. Spiritually he was crucified by all of us. In the end his death was a good thing.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever beleives in himshall not perish but have eternal life.

Al, if you know the French, if this movie was Anti-Semitic, the French would have it in every theatre in the country. They said NO, reportedly, because it was Anti-Jew.

Remember that this is the country that just outlawed the wearing of headcovers, even yamulkes, for religious expression. The outlawed crosses according to some. Evidently any religious garb is offensive to someone. Wonder what they will do with the Nuns, Rabbis, Preists etc?

The idea that the French are so sensitive to the anti-Semitic content is completely foolish. I bet they are against the movie because it is simply American.

Al, if you know the French, if this movie was Anti-Semitic, the French would have it in every theatre in the country. They said NO, reportedly, because it was Anti-Jew.

Remember that this is the country that just outlawed the wearing of headcovers, even yamulkes, for religious expression. The outlawed crosses according to some. Evidently any religious garb is offensive to someone. Wonder what they will do with the Nuns, Rabbis, Preists etc?

The idea that the French are so sensitive to the anti-Semitic content is completely foolish. I bet they are against the movie because it is simply American.

David, I'm sorry. I thought you might've read the article that YOU posted. The French aren't claiming that the movie is anti-Semitic but that it may spark anti-Semitism.

French cinema chains are refusing to distribute or screen Mel Gibson's controversial film "The Passion of the Christ" because of fears it will spark a new outbreak of anti-Semitism.

The debate over the film is highly sensitive in France, where a spate of firebombings of synagogues and Jewish schools and attacks on rabbis over the last year has led Israel to denounce it as the most anti-Semitic country in Europe.

Anger with Israel among France's large and growing Muslim population, combined with the strength of right-wing parties in some French districts, have contributed to an atmosphere that has alarmed political and Jewish leaders.

Last year, Paris police were forced to set up a dedicated unit to deal with anti-Semitic crimes. Schoolteachers complain they face a hostile reaction among Muslim students when trying to teach the history of the Holocaust, which some equate with Israel's actions against Palestinians in the occupied territories.

The film was released in America last week, but French distributors are wary of its impact on audiences and want to gauge its reception elsewhere in Europe, where it is due to open next month.

Looks to me like they might be just a little justified in being the boogeyman right now. I also realize that in some circles it's quite fashionable to criticize the French at every opportunity.

Do you think their suppression of religious icons might be likened in theory to having school kids in America wear uniforms because of gang affiliations? Just a thought.

Also, France is very heavily affiliated with the Catholic Church, so I think the nuns and priests will be alright.

No Al, I read it. I just wonder why when we clash with the French, the Left is always there to defend them. I personally have always thought "France is the most Anti-Semitic european country." But then again, my point is that the left thinks we should abandon the Jews who are fighting for their lives in Isrel, outnumbered, etc. and we should force Israel to give the Palestinians a state.

That would suit the French just fine, so would dealing with Saddam, etc.

I dont think the movie would spark, ANY MORE anti-Semitism in France. My question is: Could France be anymore anti-Semitic? :no:

Another reason the French are probably doing this is to not antagonize the Muslims living in France.

January 28, 2004

France: Becoming an Islamic State?

In all of the discussion about whether it is or is not a good idea for France to ban large religious displays in public schools, especially veils for Muslim girls, one issue that often gets lost is the future of religious demographics in France. According to some estimates, as much as 20-30 per cent of the population under 25 is now Muslim.

Barbara Amiel writes for the Telegraph:

Given current birth rates, it is not impossible that in 25 years France will have a Muslim majority. The consequences are dynamic: is it possible that secular France might become an Islamic state? ... In theory, the cultural and legal assimilation of Europe's Muslims would be the ideal. This was supposed to be the notion behind the vision of the French interior minister, Nicolas Sarkozy, of a "French church of Islam" with homegrown imams. But knowledgeable observers say his "moderate" Council of Muslims has made radical Islam the government-sanctioned norm for all Muslims.

LINK

It appears someone in France woke up and smelled the money:

Speculation ends as 'Passion' finds French distributor

Associated Press

PARIS -- Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ will screen in France in April, a distributor said, quashing speculation the movie might not be shown on French screens. 

Tarak ben Ammar, who manages Carthago Films, said he would distribute the film. It will be shown in French theaters "in April, over the Easter period," he told TF1 television Monday night. Easter is on April 11... 

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/ae/2429788

Archived