Cameron Newton QB

eagletiger

Don't really understand this move... From what I understand he is all but signed with Auburn... I can't see a 5 star QB from Junior College going to a team unless he knows he is going to be the starter (or at least have a great chance to be a starter)... Love this staffs go and get em attitude but WOW what a slap in the face to Caudle, Burns, trotter, Rollison, and Mosley...

What do you all Think?

Newton wanted to sign with Auburn back under the old staff but didn't get an offer (we signed Kodi instead). Now he's back with another opportunity and we just so happen to have one slot left that can count toward last year's class. I think if a 5-star athlete, especially a QB, wants to come to your school you don't turn him down unless you have an extremely good reason, no matter who else you have on the roster.

The competition will be open. I know Caudle and the others can't be thrilled, but if you're the coaches, you can't pass him up.

I think this staff realizes what the rest of us have known for a while and that is that Auburn's QB situation is not bright. Auburn, or any team for that matter, will not win Championships unless it has a good QB and unfortunately Auburn does not have that yet. Mine as well give this kid a shot and see how it goes. I know I would personally happily risk a scholarship for a stronger QB situation. If the kid is a bust, I think it would have still been worth it. If the kid turns out to be great, then that is what the program needed. You can't just hand it over to Caudle because he "deserved it" for lasting 4 or 5 years. Trotter isn't a college QB in my opinion. Burns lost his duties already. Rollison, who knows what will happen with him. Mosley, I don't feel is a legit QB. I feel like Tuberville's staff put all of their eggs into one basket with Kodi Burns. I will admit that I thought he would've been fantastic and would lead Auburn to the crystal in 2010. That gamble did not pay off and we are stuck with a bunch of back ups and scout team quarterbacks. I think Chizik understands that he needs a QB and he needs one now. He can't wait 2 years for one to develop and that is why he is going after a JUCO, hoping that this kid can not only play, but pick it up right away, similar to how Todd did. He may or may not be as good as Todd. He may or may not be a lot better than Todd. But I think it is the right move and I hope the kid signs with Auburn.

Oh! Don't get me wrong we need a QB that is going to be a super star, and we absolutely take him. but I can't help feeling for the others especially for Caudle, this would be so demoralizing... Maybe he can go into coaching? :)

This is a great pick up, Period. If any of the "quarterbacks" have a problem with it, then they are free to do as they please. I never liked the old CTT way of always playing players based on seniority and favors. If the kid is as good as advertised, give him the ball. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!! This should bump us up to around 5th in recruiting.

The way you coach a team, you get the best talent you can get at every position and let them fight it out to see who will start. Whoever was going to be Auburn's starting QB next season was going to have to win a battle. If Newton signs with Auburn, and I hope he does, it will just add one more talented dog to the fight.

May the best QB win!

I think this staff realizes what the rest of us have known for a while and that is that Auburn's QB situation is not bright. Auburn, or any team for that matter, will not win Championships unless it has a good QB and unfortunately Auburn does not have that yet. Mine as well give this kid a shot and see how it goes. I know I would personally happily risk a scholarship for a stronger QB situation. If the kid is a bust, I think it would have still been worth it. If the kid turns out to be great, then that is what the program needed. You can't just hand it over to Caudle because he "deserved it" for lasting 4 or 5 years. Trotter isn't a college QB in my opinion. Burns lost his duties already. Rollison, who knows what will happen with him. Mosley, I don't feel is a legit QB. I feel like Tuberville's staff put all of their eggs into one basket with Kodi Burns. I will admit that I thought he would've been fantastic and would lead Auburn to the crystal in 2010. That gamble did not pay off and we are stuck with a bunch of back ups and scout team quarterbacks. I think Chizik understands that he needs a QB and he needs one now. He can't wait 2 years for one to develop and that is why he is going after a JUCO, hoping that this kid can not only play, but pick it up right away, similar to how Todd did. He may or may not be as good as Todd. He may or may not be a lot better than Todd. But I think it is the right move and I hope the kid signs with Auburn.

Little soon to write Trotter, Rollison and Mosley off, but I think I agree that you take a 5 star QB in such a scenario and let them all compete for the job.

Throwing CN into the mix will only improve every other QB's game, regardless. I believe the competition would be great for all of the potential QBs at Auburn. It will help develop the offense into a great group with the potential of having an undefeated season in the near future. The more play makers you have, the better your chances of winning games and championships. I trust our coaches to manage and coach, they deserve that from me and have earned it too. I trust Chizik and company to do the right thing. WDE!

I agree with bottomfeeder, competition at QB is a what we need. Do we want a QB who is afraid of competition? I love Caudle, Rollison and Moseley but if they can't beat out Cam Newton or Barrett Trotter for that matter, they don't need to play.

I agree. I don't see a downside. He either comes in and produces at a high level or pushes the QBs in spring/summer camp and they improve their games. Either way, we could end up being a much better football team if we pull him to The Plains.

Caudle will still have his shot, all he has to do is win it. Rollison didn't have much of a prayer of being the starter next year before Cameron came into the picture and Kodi has long since ruined his shot of playing QB at Auburn. Rollison will benefit greatly by sitting a year behind a guy with a similar skill set.

I mean I feel bad for the others b/c I would feel like poo if I was in thier position but I mean all of them are getting free rides at a major college so even if they never play full time they will walk out of there with a degree, really that's why they are there anyway. I hope we sign Cam, a kid that size and that big, WOW he would actually be able to see over his lineman. :cheer:

I mean I feel bad for the others b/c I would feel like poo if I was in thier position but I mean all of them are getting free rides at a major college so even if they never play full time they will walk out of there with a degree, really that's why they are there anyway. I hope we sign Cam, a kid that size and that big, WOW he would actually be able to see over his lineman. :cheer:

I feel bad for Caudle and Trotter too, but they've had their chance. Caudle has been around for a few years now and hasn't been able to get onto the field in a meaningful role and was either unwilling or unable to make the best of his time the last few years to be prepared for next season. No need in punishing the rest of the team by putting an inadequate QB on the field because he's been around and it's the nice thing to do.

I realize you aren't saying he should start just because, I'm just adding to your point.

I feel bad for Caudle and Trotter too, but they've had their chance. Caudle has been around for a few years now and hasn't been able to get onto the field in a meaningful role and was either unwilling or unable to make the best of his time the last few years to be prepared for next season. No need in punishing the rest of the team by putting an inadequate QB on the field because he's been around and it's the nice thing to do.

I realize you aren't saying he should start just because, I'm just adding to your point.

Oh I totally agree! We HAVE to put the best man on the field. It's been a long time since we had a productive QB for more than 1 season or one that hasn't been spotty for more than 1 season. This kid is a beast and I will assume that the coaches know WAAAAYYYY more than I do, so I trust what they are doing. He has been playing for what 2 yrs in a similar offense so maybe he can come in and be an immidiate help. I know the level is different BUT with his size and speed he could very well be what we have been looking for.

One of these things is not like the other:

Rollison, Freshman 6'2" 190lbs 4.5 forty Experience: none.

Mosley, Freshman... 6'3" 197lbs 4.7 forty. Experience: none.

Trotter, Sophomore 6'3" 203lbs. 4.8 forty. Experience: none.

Caudle, Senior.... 6'3" 200lbs 4.7 forty. Experience: Mop-up (Beat out by Todd and Burns)

Newton, Junior.... 6'6" 247lbs 4.5 forty. Experience: Won Number 2 Spot behind Tebow, JUCO National Championship,

Passing - 22 TDs, 5 INTs, 2,888yds / Rushing: 655yds, 108 attempts, 16 TDs.

Newton has Vince Young measurables (actually, a little bigger and faster). You can't pass that up. Potential wise, he's a once in a generation type guy.

Newton will only be in O&B 1 or 2 years, If Rollison/Mosely/Trotter are worried about PT, they should be looking over their shoulders at Kiehl Frazier, rather than Newton. As for Caudle, I always liked Neil. He is an Auburn Man through and through, but he's just one of those guys who never quite panned out. I have a feeling he will be getting along just fine in life after his time in Auburn is up, regardless of how much PT he sees this year.

Can't hardly understand the logic of the old staff not offering this kid when they had the chance -- unless they made one of those stupid promises not-to-recruit-another-QB-if-you-sign-first. The more the merrier, I say. First off, you never really know who's going to pan out no matter how many stars they're rated. Secondly, attrition always seems to rear it's ugle head in one form or another: injuries, transfers, academic casualties, etc.

I hope Newton signs with AU. He looks like a legit dual-threat QB that AU has long been after.

Cameron Newton had some problems while a Florida. He was red-shirted during his Sophomore year but wan't he arrested for burglary with the charges being drop as a youthful offender?

Cameron Newton had some problems while a Florida. He was red-shirted during his Sophomore year but wan't he arrested for burglary with the charges being drop as a youthful offender?

Not burglary. Go to the recruiting forum and all will be revealed there. His position coach at Florida, Dan Mullin, doesn't seem to have a problem with Newton's past. Mullin is trying awfully hard to get Newton to join him at MSU.

Well, let's just imagine this kid was going to UGA.....this is what I would say to that

Can the kid play?

If so, will he stay out of trouble while at UGA?

Anything else.....couldn't care less.....then again, I am one of those "Just win, baby" fans.

Archived