RunInRed

His hat says "Nick Who?"

Is that referring to Saban or Fairley?

He was asked, it's Fairley...as a shout-out. He has nothing but respect for NF

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wright's words:

Sure, players like Nick Fairley leave their legacy, but when they leave, you know, someone else has to step in.

Nice. I take his comments as a tribute to Nick Fairley and also a realization that next season's team cannot just sit back and rely on the success of this season's team. Every year they have to go out there and earn it again, and Gabe is going to work hard to make that happen. :cheer:

Unfortunate the drama created by jilted Bammers re. Cyrus' is taking some focus from the Wright LOI to AU b/c getting Gabe is a HUGE recruting victory for AU and one we will look back on...a lot.

Unfortunate the drama created by jilted Bammers re. Cyrus' is taking some focus from the Wright LOI to AU b/c getting Gabe is a HUGE recruting victory for AU and one we will look back on...a lot.

agreed. Future Lombardi award winner here...

Video:

Gabe Wright Picks AuburnPosted by Auburn Football Recruiting on Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I think of all the uncommitted targets going into today, Gabe Wright was the most important. Yes, Cyrus is a big name but our O-line class is going to be the nation's #1 with or without Cyrus. We NEEDED a DT that can come in and play next year and Wright is "SEC ready" according to coaches and others.

We have only two returning freshmen, K. Carter and J. Whitaker that played at all last year and no DT's redshirted. Gabe was a must! :thumbsup:

I'm not writing off the other DTs on the roster. I have a sneaking suspicion that we're going to hear from Derrick Lykes this year. Jamar Travis is an unknown, and LaDarious Phillips is a possibility (he did practice with the defense in bowl practice).

I agree with you that Wright was the biggest need in this class. I think he's the biggest home run we hit when you look at need and talent, but I expect our rotation to include only two freshman this year (same as last year). We know Whitaker will start. Carter will definitely be in the rotation since he was the fifth guy this year. Angelo Blackson (who has to get used to playing with a hand on the ground), JaBrian Niles (who has the size if we shift him inside), and Gabe will all have a shot at cracking the rotation. Gabe is almost a guarantee to make the five-man.

I think the fact that we only signed one true RB means that at least for this season, LaDarious Philips is going to be working to get his weight down a little and play RB. Just to give Dyer a breather here and there and for short yardage stuff, but a RB nonetheless. He may finish his AU career on the D-line, but I seriously doubt it will start in 2011.

I think the fact that we only signed one true RB means that at least for this season, LaDarious Philips is going to be working to get his weight down a little and play RB. Just to give Dyer a breather here and there and for short yardage stuff, but a RB nonetheless. He may finish his AU career on the D-line, but I seriously doubt it will start in 2011.

I wouldn't be surpised to see Bray line up in the backfield. He is a very skilled and elusive runner...watch some of his punt and kickoff return highlights. :au:

I seriously doubt that Phillips will ever see the field on offense as anything more than a big blocker. If I were ranking guys in the order of carries for our RBs on the roster next year, I'd bet: Dyer, McCalebb, Mason, Smith. That order wouldn't change if Phillips were a RB or DT. If I'm including everyone, I'll put Trotter, Bray, and Reed ahead of Smith and well ahead of Phillips in number of carries.

I seriously doubt that Phillips will ever see the field on offense as anything more than a big blocker. If I were ranking guys in the order of carries for our RBs on the roster next year, I'd bet: Dyer, McCalebb, Mason, Smith. That order wouldn't change if Phillips were a RB or DT. If I'm including everyone, I'll put Trotter, Bray, and Reed ahead of Smith and well ahead of Phillips in number of carries.

I agree, I know most were excited to hear of a 280-290 lbs RB who could do a standing back flip, but LP just isn't cut out to be a RB in the SEC. His best shot will be at DT. He couldn't drop the weight during this season. What makes you think he can do it for next? If anything, Yox will put more muscle mass on him.

Archived