Anyone in the Jackson, MS area?

AUTigerCourt

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking for some insider info on the areas. My boyfriend got a job, and is planning on going next week to look for a place to live. He'll be moving at the end of the month. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!!

I saw a t-shirt at Mellow Mushroom that said "You couldn't pay me 2 go to starkville either" and thought about getting it for him before the move! haha!

My best friend lived in Pucket MS all his life till moving where we are now in NE Miss. I've been there with him to visit his grandparents on holidays and such and it's a very nice play to live. I don't know where you are from but the people there are very friendly and have that "southern hospitality" to them. The rivalry between the Miss St and Ole Miss isn't as huge as the Iron Bowl because both teams are pretty terrible, so college football isn't as intensified as it is in AL.

Well, I guess it really depends on where you are coming from as to how you will view Jackson. There are some areas to avoid(as with most cities) but is a pretty neat town. I'm sure his employer can probably advise as far as where to live. East of Jackson(Brandon) and North of Jackson(Madison) would be two good places to look for housing. My parents live in Madison after moving out of Jackson 15 years ago. Madison is on the rise with a lot of new development(ie housing, restaurants,shopping, etc). It all just depends on where exactly he is going to be working and how long of a commute he wants. Believe it or not, the traffic can be pretty frustrating. If you need any specific info, let me know, I'll be glad to help if I can.

He will be selling cement for a company that is based out of Kansas. Both of his bosses are out of Arkansas, so they really aren't much help. He won't have an office, he'll mostly be working out of his car. So proximity to work isn't a big player. He's pretty much going to be driving all over the state of Mississippi all week. He's coming from Auburn, but is originally from Birmingham.

Good deal! Well I would definitely look at Madison or Brandon. They are both outside of Jackson. Clinton(west of Jackson) is nice too. Madison has really grown in the last ten years as a lot of people have moved away from Jackson. BTW, he can get an AU themed tag for his car in MS.

Oh yeah, if he likes baseball, the Atlanta Braves AA team is located in Jackson, really cool ballpark(Trustmark Park right next to Bass Pro Shops).

Very nice ballpark!

I know when I played ball (2 years ago) the state championships were held there.

I grew up going to the old ballpark in Jackson(Smith Wills Stadium) watching the NY Mets AA team. They were in the Texas League, changed affiliation with the Astros, bought by N. Ryan and moved to Texas. The new ballpark is a Godsend....there seems to be good support for the team.

Well I'm in Monroe,LA now, I moved over here six years ago. I never spent much time in the NE part of MS. I have been to Pickwick...beautiful lake!

The friend I was talking about earlier in the thread....His grandfather and grandmother are split up. I guess they are wealthy. One has a huge house in Brandon and the other has a house on Pickwick. I've been fishing with him there a couple of times.

I live in Hattiesburg MS...but have several friends who live in the Jackson area...Most of them live in the Brandon and Ridgeland areas. Both are nice places....Clinton is ok and Madison is really nice...little farther north.

I lived there for awhile myself (graduated from HS), live in the Houston, TX area now.

Some places to avoid basically anywhere in Jackson city limits, especially South Jackson, West Jackson, Northeast Jackson is still okay.

Madison, Ridgeland are THE places to live in the Jackson area, Ross Barnett Res is out that way

Clinton and Byram are okay as well

I go back from time to time to see my daughter and grandson, my brother also lives there too.

Got some pretty cool things in Jackson, like the Dixie National Rodeo (biggest East of the Mississippi), not anything like the Houston Livestock & Rodeo, but not bad.

Archived