ESPN

rexbo

My gut, and these 2 most recent articles below, tells me ESPN is going to have an attitude change about Auburn now that we are in the BCS Championship game. They are broadcasting it this year and they are going to be very careful about pushing the idea that Auburn isn't worthy or deserving of playing in the game. Don't get me wrong, they are going to keep the controversy alive because they want people tuning in for that reason too, but I think they are going to be careful about claims or innuendo that Auburn has cheated to get there. If they went too far pushing this angle they would put themselves in the position of broadcasting an illegitimate game.

There's also the fact that the media jumped Auburn to #1 in the AP Poll, that should show ESPN and the rest of the country that the majority out there are not buying into the hate and cheating claims regarding Auburn.

From Pat Forde, only a minor mention of the Cam Newton story, and ends it implying that Cam playing is a good thing. (Of course it is for them, better ratings.)

Tigers, Ducks set for BCS introductions

From Chris Lowe, not a single mention of the MSU pay-for-play controversy; he blasted Auburn with some horrible insinuations just a few days ago...

No more living on the edge for Tigers

Should have heard "Sports Reporters" this morning - pretty vicious.

Elaborate?

Well it was Albom, Lupica, etc. basically just rehashing stuff they've read on the internet, making the obligatory comparisons to the Reggie Bush case, yada yada yada.

Per the Sports Reporters, it took all of 15 seconds for me to turn the channel.

The story they're pushing, that Cam was 'shopped' , and that, by logical deduction, Auburn is guilty. No evidence, of course, but they're incredulous that anyone could think Cecil would 'shop' Cam at one school, not get the asking price, and that he'd end up at another school, scott free.

Problem is, it wasn't Cecil who was doing the shopping. It was Kenny Rogers. He had the connection w/ Miss State. HE's the one who came up w/ the idea that $$ could be had for Cam, not Cecil.

Oklahoma says they weren't approached by Cecil for any money. Why not ? They have deeper pockets, I'm sure. And if they were, why not come out , show a pattern of behavior on Cecil, and support MSU's case ? Or are we to believe that we're paying off OU too ?

There's no evidence that AU was even approached , by anyone, to get Cam for a price.

This starts and ends w/ Kenny Rogers, and when MSU didn't bite, that was all Cecil needed to know. Rogers had played him, and the game didn't pan out, so Cecil wisely packed up and broke off ties w/ him.

Per the Sports Reporters, it took all of 15 seconds for me to turn the channel.

The story they're pushing, that Cam was 'shopped' , and that, by logical deduction, Auburn is guilty. No evidence, of course, but they're incredulous that anyone could think Cecil would 'shop' Cam at one school, not get the asking price, and that he'd end up at another school, scott free.

Problem is, it wasn't Cecil who was doing the shopping. It was Kenny Rogers. He had the connection w/ Miss State. HE's the one who came up w/ the idea that $$ could be had for Cam, not Cecil.

Oklahoma says they weren't approached by Cecil for any money. Why not ? They have deeper pockets, I'm sure. And if they were, why not come out , show a pattern of behavior on Cecil, and support MSU's case ? Or are we to believe that we're paying off OU too ?

There's no evidence that AU was even approached , by anyone, to get Cam for a price.

This starts and ends w/ Kenny Rogers, and when MSU didn't bite, that was all Cecil needed to know. Rogers had played him, and the game didn't pan out, so Cecil wisely packed up and broke off ties w/ him.

You are spot-on, of course. I don't think these [people are too stupid to see that. However, something that simple won't increase controversy or add hits to their websites. So they act like crooks instead of honest reporters.

Archived