Darvin Adams

RunInRed

Whether he gets picked or not, at this point, that was clearly a bad decision. I feel badly for him. He's good enough to play in the League though. Once the labor situation clears up, I think he'll land on his feet.

Yep, sucks to see guys leave early and not get drafted (hello Robert Johnson). I know Darvin's got a tough family situation but I really think he could have benefitted from sticking around one more year.

A lot of lessor receivers got drafted. Who ever picks him up will get a steal. I wished he'd stayed though.

I wish the NCAA would let guys that don't get drafted have an opportunity to come back and play another year in college.

I wish the NCAA would let guys that don't get drafted have an opportunity to come back and play another year in college.

The thing they need to do is set up some sort of post-season game or something where juniors are allowed to compete. The live-practices at the SR Bowl really help show which guys can play and which guys cant, while the Combine and Pro Days are nice, you're not going to see real one-on-one battles like you do at the SR Bowl or the other post-season All-Star games (none of which Juniors can attend).

I assume darvin hired and agent? If he did not, he could come back. UK had several basketball players declare for the NBA draft, but they did not hire agents so they have the option of going back to UK.

Even if he hired an agent have the NCAA ever accepted an appeal to return?

I assume darvin hired and agent? If he did not, he could come back. UK had several basketball players declare for the NBA draft, but they did not hire agents so they have the option of going back to UK.

I believe that rule only applies to basketball. I've never heard of a football player doing it

I believe that rule only applies to basketball. I've never heard of a football player doing it

That doesn't seem fair. Why wouldn't it apply to all NCAA athletes in any sport with the possibility of the athlete going pro? And yes, I realize that not every NCAA sport has a corresponding pro option, but the rules should apply across the board, IMO.

That doesn't seem fair. Why wouldn't it apply to all NCAA athletes in any sport with the possibility of the athlete going pro? And yes, I realize that not every NCAA sport has a corresponding pro option, but the rules should apply across the board, IMO.

Sheer hypocrisy rooted in the English class system to maintain the power of the aristocracy. Later carried over to Olympic sports. NCAA uses it to protect its low cost manpower to generate 6.5b in earnings from D1 football.

Look up the Jack Kelly story re rowing. Treat the football players the same as a music major on a band scholarship or quit yapping about "student athletes".

Little Doc

As I read it, Darvin could still come back, if he did not sign with an agent............

NCAA Operating Bylaws

12.2.4 Draft and Inquiry.

12.2.4.2.3 Exception—Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, an enrolled student-athlete (as opposed to a

prospective student-athlete) may enter the National Football League draft one time during his collegiate

career without jeopardizing eligibility in that sport, provided the student-athlete is not drafted by any team

in that league and the student-athlete declares his intention to resume intercollegiate participation within

72 hours following the National Football League draft declaration date. The student-athlete’s declaration

of intent shall be in writing to the institution’s director of athletics. (Adopted: 10/31/02, Revised: 4/14/03,

12/15/06)

12.3 USE OF AGENTS

12.3.1 General Rule. An individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if he or she

ever has agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by an agent for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics

ability or reputation in that sport. Further, an agency contract not specifically limited in writing to a sport or

particular sports shall be deemed applicable to all sports, and the individual shall be ineligible to participate in

any sport.

You read that wrong. It specifically states that it applies to the DECLARATION DATE. In the NFL there is a deadline by which juniors must declare for the draft...after that date they have a 72-hour window in which they can change their minds and pull out. That doesn't apply at all after the draft, and in no way does it state that he can change his mind after he went undrafted.

Still think he should have declared. A third 1k season wouldn't have moved him in the draft. He just doesn't have the measurables for the NFL for the draft. Still has a chance.

No. That's not true. Once he declares for the nfl draft, his college career is over. Basketball and Baseball have different rules in regards to the draft and pro leagues. Not sure why the rules are different, but they are. It would make sense to make the same rules apply to athletes in all sports, but that's not the way it is right now.

He just doesn't have the measurables for the NFL for the draft.

Thats simply not true. There are a ton of guys that were shorter or slower than he was that got drafted. Darvin needed to get bigger and stronger, he also had some lapses in concentration. I also think that NFL teams seem to question the mental aspect for guys that come out early when the consensus is that they shouldn't come out. Theres really no telling how Darvin did in team interviews.

I think it's true to an extent. He has a slight frame. No matter how much he lifts, he's never going to be a thick guy. That said, he absolutely could've put on 5 or 10 pounds and worked on concentration. That would've helped more than any weight or strength. If you're already limited by your body (and he is), you can't add an extra obstacle like have the dropsies. He can play in the NFL, but I don't think you need hindsight to say declaring was a mistake.

DA will get somewhere. He's a better WR than JJ, aka Dropsy. Still can't believe he went top 10. He drops way too many easy passes, imo.

Someone might want to let HBO know that there is an Auburn player who didn't get his cash handshake or a sack of money to help with his family situation and now he's undrafted.

Unrelated, I noticed the Stanley McLover painting at Auburn Art had a big "50% off" sign on it yesterday.

He's a better WR than JJ, aka Dropsy. Still can't believe he went top 10. He drops way too many easy passes, imo.

:rolleyes::roflol:

Adams based his decision on...

1) He wasn't going to get any faster.

2) He might have added a few pounds to his frame but it would not have made a huge decision.

3) The crop of receivers for the 2012 draft is expected to be better than 2011 so now was the time to go.

4) He knew he was a 5-7 round selection at best.

Adams based his decision on...

1) He wasn't going to get any faster.

2) He might have added a few pounds to his frame but it would not have made a huge decision.

3) The crop of receivers for the 2012 draft is expected to be better than 2011 so now was the time to go.

4) He knew he was a 5-7 round selection at best.

He was wrong on a lot of that.

The NFL seems to really punish guys that they think left college early when they shouldn't have.

The WR group is better next year? Really? There will be more than 2 Top Ten WRs next year? This year seemed like a deeeeeep group at his spot. I mean, Randall Cobb went late second. That's a statement.

Reps would've helped Adams, and showing more consistency (read: a season with less drops) would've improved his draft stock as much or more than adding weight. He would've gotten drafted next year. Regardless, I hope he lands a job somewhere. He's a solid WR.

He's a better WR than JJ, aka Dropsy. Still can't believe he went top 10. He drops way too many easy passes, imo.

:rolleyes::roflol:

JJ has the size and speed to be an excellent NFL receiver. Personally I would have taken him ahead of AJ Green. DA had alligator arms, at times, and is currently too slight of build to be able to release at the line in the NFL. DA would definitely be a slot receiver due to size lack of build in the NFL. A team would have to scheme to get him open, I don't see that happening for a FA long shot.

DA will get somewhere. He's a better WR than JJ, aka Dropsy. Still can't believe he went top 10. He drops way too many easy passes, imo.

Really?

Archived