NCAA asks LSU not to discuss investigation

TitanTiger

BATON ROUGE — For the second time in less than two years, the LSU football program is the subject of NCAA scrutiny.

Just as the NCAA nears a final ruling on its investigation of rules violations by LSU concerning the recruitment, transportation and housing of 2009 signee Akiem Hicks and former assistant coach D.J. McCarthy's role in that as well as improper recruiting phone calls at that time, LSU coach Les Miles' program is in the midst of another investigation by college athletics' governing body.

"We're under a gag order not to discuss anything specifically," LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said Friday during a break in the monthly LSU Board of Supervisors meeting. "That means the NCAA is still looking at us and asking questions."

An NCAA official was on the LSU campus a week ago and interviewed unidentified members of the football coaching staff about LSU's relationship with Houston-based prospect scout/adviser Willie Lyles of Complete Scouting Services, according to an LSU release on Thursday.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said Friday that such gag orders are usually extended to schools under investigation.

"According to NCAA rules, all parties of the investigation must maintain the confidentiality of interviews to protect the integrity of an investigation," she said. "This includes the school and enforcement staff."...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110716/SPORTS0202/107160366/NCAA-asks-LSU-not-discuss-investigation

Notice that part at the end I bolded. Then recall that in recent weeks Auburn athletics compliance director Rich McGlynn has broken his silence on the matter and to a lesser degree, Coach Chizik.

Well, I guess we can now play Judge, Jury, and Executioner to the LSU program the same way the whole SEC has already convicted us, huh?

So, how much probation does LSU get out of this? 3-4 years? I mean they are already automatically GUILTY right?

BATON ROUGE — For the second time in less than two years, the LSU football program is the subject of NCAA scrutiny.

Just as the NCAA nears a final ruling on its investigation of rules violations by LSU concerning the recruitment, transportation and housing of 2009 signee Akiem Hicks and former assistant coach D.J. McCarthy's role in that as well as improper recruiting phone calls at that time, LSU coach Les Miles' program is in the midst of another investigation by college athletics' governing body.

"We're under a gag order not to discuss anything specifically," LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said Friday during a break in the monthly LSU Board of Supervisors meeting. "That means the NCAA is still looking at us and asking questions."

An NCAA official was on the LSU campus a week ago and interviewed unidentified members of the football coaching staff about LSU's relationship with Houston-based prospect scout/adviser Willie Lyles of Complete Scouting Services, according to an LSU release on Thursday.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said Friday that such gag orders are usually extended to schools under investigation.

"According to NCAA rules, all parties of the investigation must maintain the confidentiality of interviews to protect the integrity of an investigation," she said. "This includes the school and enforcement staff."...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110716/SPORTS0202/107160366/NCAA-asks-LSU-not-discuss-investigation

Notice that part at the end I bolded. Then recall that in recent weeks Auburn athletics compliance director Rich McGlynn has broken his silence on the matter and to a lesser degree, Coach Chizik.

The NCAA has specifically issued a "gag order" to LSU on this investigation. Auburn is not under any "gag order."

Quote: ""According to NCAA rules, all parties of the investigation must maintain the confidentiality of interviews to protect the integrity of an investigation," she said. "This includes the school and enforcement staff."...".

The point being that Auburn's part of the Cam Newton investigation is over so there is no longer any gag order in effect. That's why Chizik and McGlynn have openly discussed the situation recently. Also a good indication as to why Chizik got in that woman's face about publicly stating that Auburn is in the clear.

Quote: ""According to NCAA rules, all parties of the investigation must maintain the confidentiality of interviews to protect the integrity of an investigation," she said. "This includes the school and enforcement staff."...".

The point being that Auburn's part of the Cam Newton investigation is over so there is no longer any gag order in effect. That's why Chizik and McGlynn have openly discussed the situation recently. Also a good indication as to why Chizik got in that woman's face about publicly stating that Auburn is in the clear.

That's what I was getting at.

Well, I guess we can now play Judge, Jury, and Executioner to the LSU program the same way the whole SEC has already convicted us, huh?

So, how much probation does LSU get out of this? 3-4 years? I mean they are already automatically GUILTY right?

Where there's smoke,....

LSU fans should get ready to be the focus of half-true reports and half-baked innuendo until this gets settled.

Only if they get off to a 7-0 or 8-0 start and look like they have a Heisman candidate on the team. If they lose 2 or 3, well look at MSU. How much talk has there been about them?

Yes. Upon review, I should have written "Titan's point being", as that was what I was trying to get across.

Yes. Upon review, I should have written "Titan's point being", as that was what I was trying to get across.

Oh, you didn't have to do that. I was just chiming in my agreement. I would have just typed "Bingo" as my response, but that would have set the bammer boards on fire with news that an Auburn board admin was using code words and snubbing his nose at the NCAA because he knows the McGregor rigged slots rumor was true.

Archived