Braveheart

Dumb And Dumber (or any comedy ever...)

Seven

Con Air

Face Off

Bad Boys

Bad Boys 2

shall I go on?

And IMHO none were worth seeing except Braveheart and it was marginal. Different strokes for different folks as they say :D

And if i listened to movie critics...I would have never gone to see:

Independence Day

Braveheart

Seven

Con Air

Face Off

Bad Boys

Bad Boys 2

shall I go on?

And IMHO none were worth seeing except Braveheart and it was marginal. Different strokes for different folks as they say :D

Any comedy ever...not worth seeing? ;)

And if i listened to movie critics...I would have never gone to see:

Independence Day

Braveheart

Seven

Con Air

Face Off

Bad Boys

Bad Boys 2

shall I go on?

Braveheart and Seven are great movies!

This movie looks like it has a horrible plot, but the CGI is drawing me to it for some reason. I saw a brief trailer on a DVD (I believe it was BASIC?) looked awesome. The TV spots look decent, the plot seems to be filled with holes though.

And for the person that stated every comedy got bad reviews...Elf got amazing reviews.

Ok, you are silly... ;)

ID4, Seven, and BraveHeart are good to great film. The rest are wastes of my time.

Guest AuNuma1

I'll catch it at Blockbuster. To be honest, I'd rather pay the money to see Shrek 2...heard it was better than the first one.

Most of the rest of the nation is being evacuated to Mexico, a plot point that caused a lot of laughter in the theater: Americans crashing the Mexican border instead of the other way around.

CNN.com

Now that's funny! :P

I think it would be a cool movie to watch as long as you take the premise with a large dose of salt.

Exactly, watch it like you watch Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings, or even the simpler adventure Indiana Jones movies; it is simply Fiction like most every other movie ever made.

If anything, it trivializes the radical environmental movement by being such outrageous science fiction. Kind of like AlGore trivialized the anti-Bush movement with his outrageous speech.

Just saw this one over the weekend. It was ok but nothing special at all. I should have seen Troy instead.

Troy was...hands down...the worst movie ive seen all year.

But its not just me...everyone I know who saw it said it was garbage.

okay first off, critics loved braveheart (it won an academy award... how much more love can you get?) and seven. no one will ever accuse bad boys or id4 for being anything more than action comedies (both are great, and i own them. but not really praise worthy on a film critic level. they are to action comedy what notting hill is to the romantic comedy: some of the best formula movies ever). as for face off and conair, i wish i'd never seen either (hate nick cage).

on the comedy thing, the really good critics will have a good rating for a good comedy. ebert and roper are terrible at that, but some (like the ny times) recognize comic brilliance like dumb and dumber or coming to america as great films.

and troy wasn't that bad. it just lacked heart. all period pieces from that time have to live up to gladiator first then for true perfection, ben hur. troy fell short b/c you don't care about the characters. when they die, they're just dead. no feelings lost, kinda like another war movie thin red line. it could've been great, but it didn't have a connection with the characters. that doesn't make either movie trash; just means they aren't as good as they could be.

and shriek 2 was great (i still take one, but two was great).

I read reviews for Braveheart, Patriot, and Gladiator (all similar type movies) that said they were terrible.

Just because a movie wins an academy award doesn't mean snob movie critics liked it.

Troy had horrible direction, the score was down right HOKEY, and you are right...they character development was poor.

What about SCI-FI movies that get slammed like alien/aliens? Predator? Bad reviews...awesome movies.

Yes Bad Boys is an action comedy...why does that mean it has to fall short of any critical merit? still a great movie.

What this thread proves is some people like movies that others don't. Kind of like schools and their football teams :D:D

I read reviews for Braveheart, Patriot, and Gladiator (all similar type movies) that said they were terrible.

I didn't read one bad review for Gladiator. It was a critical and commercial success.

Troy had horrible direction, the score was down right HOKEY, and you are right...they character development was poor.
Yes Bad Boys is an action comedy...why does that mean it has to fall short of any critical merit? still a great movie.

Troy had horrible direction and Bad Boys was a great movie? Dude, you just lost all credibility on the subject of film.

Troy had horrible direction and Bad Boys was a great movie? Dude, you just lost all credibility on the subject of film.

Again, I'm not the only person who thought Troy was a load of doo doo.

The movie was just plain bad.

Why no credibility? Because I like action movies? I'm sure you like a few movies that aren't loved by the masses. But when action movies (TROY) are billed as great ACTION movies...or EPICS :rolleyes: ...i like them to have actual ACTION in them. Hell id even settle for a good story. Or decent character development.

Hell id even settle for a good story.

Homer's Iliad is not a good story? :roll:

Not the way it was presented in Troy.

Just saw this one over the weekend. It was ok but nothing special at all. I should have seen Troy instead.

Troy was...hands down...the worst movie ive seen all year.

But its not just me...everyone I know who saw it said it was garbage.

Thanks for the heads up on Troy. Guess I'll wait and rent it.

I don't recall Troy being billed as an ACTION movie.. yes it was billed as an epic, because thats exactly what it is. I have read a few reviews on it, and they all say not to expect a lot of action. It is old fashioned story telling. It doesn't have all sorts of fancy camera tricks like many are used to. It doesn't have the big explosions and pyro-technics that Bad Boys has. It is told in the same vein as say Lawrence of Arabia, epic in scale, but not in action. I believe it was a good story, no charater development? Achilles a cold blooded killer at the beginning, develops a heart and dies for love instead of fame. I believe that is character development. Not to mention Peter O'Toole as Priam. I'm not saying its a perfect film at all, it has its flaws.. but I and a lot of people would say its a much better film(direction, acting, writing, editing) than Bad Boys. You were right, I'm sure there are a lot of movies I like that people would shake their head at(MI:2, Unbreakable for example) but I dont try and convince others that they are GREAT films.

That being said, I do want to see The Day After Tomorrow. I think it will be a fun film, a nice pop corn flick.

the reason i think say action comedies like bad boys and id4 or romantic comedies like notting hill don't really deserve critical acclaim is because they don't bring anything new to the table. annie hall is a romantic comedy that is enjoyable, but its distinctiveness made it great. while i might watch notting hill more frequently, it's just a formula film at its best. same can be said for bad boys.

i'm not a huge sci-fi/monster flick guy so i'd give any aliens movie beyond the original a decent review.

as for troy, i still say there was verrrrry little there on the character side. priam was a real highlight for me. so was the performance by hector's wife (dunno her name). but the best roles were not given enough beef for me. achilles didn't start the movie as a cold blooded killer to me; he just did what would get him fame. the same reason he goes to troy. the same reason he backed out of the fight (in the illiad he backs out to prove they can't win without him). the only change was too fast. the last 30 minutes of a 3 hour movie he grows a heart and loads up in the horse to get his girl? not enough for me. it was good; just not all it could have been. and don't compare that movie to lawrence of arabia... that's losing more credibility than anything else in this discussion.

Killing for fame isn't being cold blooded? He did it with no remorse. In my opinion that is cold blooded. I agree it was too fast, like I said I didn't think it was a perfect movie. People complain about the movie being too long already, so if they added another 20 - 30 minutes to show his change more in depth that would turn even more people off of it. I'm not saying its a classic like Lawrence of Arabia, but it was shot very similarly. An epic film, that isn't action packed. I too think the best roles weren't used enough. Sean Bean, Brian Cox, Brendan Gleeson and Peter O'Toole are really great character actors. Obviously Brad Pitt wasn't the best actor, but I don't think he was chosen for his acting ability. I would say the same for Orlando Bloom.

Did anyone else notice Eric Bana's Australian accent coming through?

Archived