Auburn gets commitment

WarTiger

Fairhope, Ala. 6-6, 270 offensive lineman Robert Leff from Fairhope High School. He told Inside the Auburn Tigers on Tuesday night that he will sign with Coach Gene Chizik's Tigers in February. He was committed to Southern Miss. and switched today.

Premium Content

244724.jpg

Robert Leff - OT

Fairhope, AL

6'6 / 270 / 5.0

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y_xEMmQrWxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kid is up to 270 now and still growing and able to put on more weight. Had impressive games against Auburn and Daphne his senior year. It's not like we're expecting him to start right away with Latu coming in and Westerman and Robinson redshirting this season.

I'm glad he likes Auburn and we like him. Now, about that SEC-ready linebacker we so desperately need....

I wouldn't hold your breath on having an SEC ready LB come in. After Bates and Evans are done, we'll have a pretty stout LB corps, in terms of weight at least.

By 2013, we're going to have most every LB about 235 or over - Holland, Landrum, Swain, White, Frost, McKinzy and maybe Kwon Alexander. The only two smaller than that would be Garret and Mitchell, but I think those guys will be pretty dang good even if they are a bit undersized. So, that should be a pretty solid 3 deep come 2013, plus whoever else is a Freshman that year. Hopefully we can hang on to Trey Johnson for that class. That kid looks like he might be real good.

Now, I know talking about two years away doesn't help us next year, but it is what it is right now. I think we'll have a better LB corps this upcoming year, but we still need another year until we have the solid depth we need to compete for the SEC.

I'm glad he likes Auburn and we like him. Now, about that SEC-ready linebacker we so desperately need....

I wouldn't hold your breath on having an SEC ready LB come in. After Bates and Evans are done, we'll have a pretty stout LB corps, in terms of weight at least.

By 2013, we're going to have most every LB about 235 or over - Holland, Landrum, Swain, White, Frost, McKinzy and maybe Kwon Alexander. The only two smaller than that would be Garret and Mitchell, but I think those guys will be pretty dang good even if they are a bit undersized. So, that should be a pretty solid 3 deep come 2013, plus whoever else is a Freshman that year. Hopefully we can hang on to Trey Johnson for that class. That kid looks like he might be real good.

Now, I know talking about two years away doesn't help us next year, but it is what it is right now. I think we'll have a better LB corps this upcoming year, but we still need another year until we have the solid depth we need to compete for the SEC.

You have a long list there with a lot of names on it. Other than Holland, not one of them has started a game. Both Mitchell and Alexander (if we sign him as expected) have had recent major surgery and thus will be unknown factors until after a probable redshirt year.

I'm not impressed by size back there, but to each his own.

McKinzy has the potential to help next year but I'd sure like to see another top LB prospect sign with Auburn.

LSU seems to be fine with kids that range from 205 to 223 at LB as of this date. I'd like to see 215 at outside, and 235 at middle with kids that range 6'1 to 6'3 in height with long wingspans.

LSU seems to be fine with kids that range from 205 to 223 at LB as of this date. I'd like to see 215 at outside, and 235 at middle with kids that range 6'1 to 6'3 in height with long wingspans.

And run 4.5 40's

With Yeldon flipping it opened us up for another OL and that is where his offer came from imo.

LSU's D line also played a lot better than our D line this year, allowing those smaller LB's the opportunity to make plays.

I like a little heavier in the middle. In the 240's and outside I like at least 225 and up. 215 is just too small in this league now to take on OL and TE's, not to mention 225+ lb RB's, especially if they're pushing your DL around, which I hope won't be the case next year. I want our safety's to be 215 and up.

If our starting LB's next year can be Frost at OLB at 235, Holland in the middle at 240 and one of Bates or Evans or White on the other side, I'll feel pretty good about that crew. I know it's a lot of unproven guys, but that's just what we're working with now. Bates and Evans should be in the 225 range next year.

LSU's D line also played a lot better than our D line this year, allowing those smaller LB's the opportunity to make plays.

I like a little heavier in the middle. In the 240's and outside I like at least 225 and up. 215 is just too small in this league now to take on OL and TE's, not to mention 225+ lb RB's, especially if they're pushing your DL around, which I hope won't be the case next year. I want our safety's to be 215 and up.

If our starting LB's next year can be Frost at OLB at 235, Holland in the middle at 240 and one of Bates or Evans or White on the other side, I'll feel pretty good about that crew. I know it's a lot of unproven guys, but that's just what we're working with now. Bates and Evans should be in the 225 range next year.

Asking a 225 LB to cover a TE/H-Back or drop back in middle coverage...........let's just say he had better have very good footwork AND run a 4.45 or so.

Asking a 225 LB to cover a TE/H-Back or drop back in middle coverage...........let's just say he had better have very good footwork AND run a 4.45 or so.

This is a fallacy. Those offensive players are not as small as the LB you want to cover them.

Ever seen the NFL?

Coach: 'He turns into a grown man’

7_284668.jpg

Robert Leff is soft-spoken off the field. He likes to lead by example. But when it’s gametime, something changes inside the big offensive tackle from Fairhope (Ala.) High.

“When he straps those pads on in-between those whistles, he turns into a grown man,” Fairhope offensive coordinator Keith Trimew said.

Leff, 6-foot-6 and 270 pounds, committed to Auburn Tuesday shortly after picking up an offer from the Tigers. Trimew said his journey from scout-teamer to major-college prospect in the last couple of years has been remarkable.

Leff worked mainly with the scout team as a 10th-grader taking a daily beating from seniors like current Vanderbilt starting linebacker Chase Garnham.

“After he took that beating from Chase as a 10th grader, he got bigger as an 11th grader and started working on his technique a little more,” Trimew said. “Everything clicked for him as a senior and the sky’s the limit now that he’s going to Auburn.”

Read More: http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Coach-He-turns-into-a-grown-man-53943 (Free)

Archived