Should Darren Bates Move Back to Safety?

BZ770

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1056069-auburn-football-is-it-time-for-linebacker-daren-bates-to-move-back-to-safety

Auburn's defense has a long way to go heading into the 2012 season, and a position change by Daren Bates from linebacker to his original position, safety, could be greatly beneficial.

Bates played at the safety position as a freshman but was moved to linebacker for his sophomore and junior years. It was somewhat of a boggling decision, but it seemed necessary to make the switch due to depth issues at linebacker.

Daren Bates' play on the field belied his original 2-star rating that Scout.com assigned to him, so it was also a waste to have him ride the bench as a safety.

The linebacker corps in 2011 was fairly lightweight, and Bates was the smallest of the starting linebackers at 5'11" and 205 lbs. Fellow starters Jonathan Evans and Eltoro Freeman also stand at 5'11" but were 225 lbs. and 221 lbs., respectively.

The Tigers run a 4-3 base defensive scheme, so they can get away with some smaller linebackers. But, having all three starters under 6-feet tall can be troubling.

Auburn's defense really can't go anywhere but up.

The Tigers ranked last in the SEC in total yards given up with 5,304 and ranked 11th in yards-per-game given up with 408. That fact could be a blessing in disguise, as the Tigers' defense should come out swinging with a chip on their shoulder in 2012.

The team was young last year. In 2012, they won't be. The defense shows a lot of promise, especially with a star like Corey Lemonier gunning for the quarterback on every play.

Auburn's run defense was decent enough for the SEC, where running games are powerful, but their pass defense left the most to be desired.

Daren Bates loving his coach, Gene Chizik, after beating Virginia in the Chik-Fil-A Bowl.

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images Auburn was last in the SEC in passing defense with 2,844 yards given up, almost 300 more than second-to-last Mississippi State.

Mediocre LSU quarterback Jarrett Lee had one of his best performances of the year against Auburn—he completed 70 percent of his passes and had two touchdowns and no interceptions.

The run defense looks much more promising next year, as the Tigers will have four returning starters on the defensive line—all juniors.

Corey Lemonier and Nosa Eguae return at defensive end and they look extremely promising. They aren't huge bulldozers and are built more like Alabama linebackers, but they do their jobs very well.

Kenneth Carter and Jeffrey Whitaker round out the line at defensive tackle, and they both hover at around 300 lbs.

The defensive line's future looks great, and they should be able to handle the run much better than they did in 2011.

It's the pass defense that needs some help, especially with senior safety Neiko Thorpe graduating. Current freshman Erique Florence looks like he could step in and replace Thorpe, but is that the best option?

Daren Bates could certainly provide more benefit in the passing defense as an almost ideally built safety, as opposed to a sorely undersized linebacker.

Should Daren Bates move back to safety?

Yes, the cornerbacks need his help in pass coverage.

No, the defensive line needs his run-stopping support.

Yes, but only if another linebacker can rack up 100 tackles.

Submit Vote vote to see results Should Daren Bates move back to safety?Yes, the cornerbacks need his help in pass coverage.57.9%No, the defensive line needs his run-stopping support.7.5%Yes, but only if another linebacker can rack up 100 tackles.34.7%Total votes: 577 Smaller linebackers can have success, sure. Pat Tillman, before he became an Army Ranger, was roughly the same size as Bates. But Tillman was a rare player.

Coming out of high school, Bates benched over 300 lbs. and ran a 4.5-second 40-yard dash. That, along with his size, makes him more than capable of playing as a safety.

Though Daren Bates played well as a linebacker in 2011 and led the team in both solo tackles (59) and total tackles (104), I believe that he could benefit the team much more from the safety position.

Straight tackling stats don't always prove true ability.

He could still play the run but could contribute more in the passing game as a safety.

Playing as a linebacker may be severely limiting Bates' potential. Though he did well as a linebacker, I believe he could be a future NFL talent as a safety. But, he has only one more year to prove it.

Another year at linebacker would likely hurt his draft stock, but a successful year at safety could send him into the later rounds or even middle rounds.

At a glance, the future linebacker squad looks pretty strong with future senior Jonathan Evans and future junior Jake Holland. There's also one of the Tiger's most promising players, current freshman Justin Garrett, who, hopefully, will have put on some weight to his 198-pound frame.

It's going to come down to which squad needs Bates more, the safeties or the linebackers. The question still lingers, however, as to whether or not Bates can make a seamless transition back to the safety position.

Moving Daren Bates back to his natural safety position would be prudent for the Auburn Tigers.

Bates is an amazing athlete and needs to play where he can flourish more, and I believe that would happen as a safety.

Hard to believe that Daren was only a 2 star recruit. I put 2 r's in his name by accident on the topic can't fix it.

Bates was a 2* recruit because he moved from Memphis to Olive Branch, Miss. for his senior year and scouts, recruiters and others lost track of him. Had he been mainstream, he'd have been more highly rated.

About should he move back to safety, not only no but HELL NO! He was a freshman all SEC safety because about all a frosh has to do is start every game to make that team. Bates is not fast enough to play safety so his pass coverage leaves a lot to be desired. He was our leading tackler last year, leave him alone and let's get the reward of his two years experience at LB.

Bates was a 2* recruit because he moved from Memphis to Olive Branch, Miss. for his senior year and scouts, recruiters and others lost track of him. Had he been mainstream, he'd have been more highly rated.

About should he move back to safety, not only no but HELL NO! He was a freshman all SEC safety because about all a frosh has to do is start every game to make that team. Bates is not fast enough to play safety so his pass coverage leaves a lot to be desired. He was our leading tackler last year, leave him alone and let's get the reward of his two years experience at LB.

100% agree. As usual. :P

I have a love/hate relationship with Darren Bates. When he arrived on campus as a 2 star recruit, he was ready to play. He was young and made some mistakes, but he made them full speed. He laid some great licks on receivers. It's obvious that he loves playing football.

In the past 2 years, though, he has continuously committed bad penalties. Plus, his desire to leave his feet and not lock up has made him a pretty poor tackler.

I hate to say it, but if we are depending on him having a big year for us (at LB or at S), we're in trouble.

Yay! The yearly Darren Bates bashing is back. I have only one question for all of the haters -- Who are we going to replace him with? Is anyone else seriously better than him?

Yay! The yearly Darren Bates bashing is back. I have only one question for all of the haters -- Who are we going to replace him with? Is anyone else seriously better than him?

I totally agree with you. We have no one. The frustration comes when he does things that are either unnecessary or consistent problems. Both are fixable, but he has not changed much. It's pretty obvious that he's the best we have, or he wouldn't be playing.

Absolutely, spot on.

Nice avatar kickerman. :thumbsup: for AU ENGR

I never liked the idea of moving him to LB. I loved having a hard hitting safety. It has been a while. While his pass coverage skills were not that great, he was only a freshman and could have gotten better.That ship has passed. The coaches decided that maybe he could not improve his pass coverage skills but since he hit hard, they moved him to LB.

Moving him back now will not instantly give him pass coverage skills. Leave him where he is. I see this as another coaching blunder.

How in the world does a person write an article stating that Auburn's primary concern and area in need of improvement is pass coverage then argue that a guy who was a liability in pass coverage should be moved back into the secondary after gaining 20-25 pounds? Pure silliness.

Bates is the best LB on the team. He performed game-in, game-out over the second half of the season, and he was the best defender on the field in the bowl game. He's finally coming into his own as a LB on a team that needs bodies, talent, and experience at LB. Plus, he'd be a liability in pass coverage in the back, which would put more strain on the FS, likely Erique Florence. Moving him to Safety also takes either McNeal or Smith out of the rotation or forces one of them to play out of position (since both guys are bascially Strong Safeties). There really is no upside to taking Bates out of his best position and into a position he outgrew two years ago.

Absolutely, spot on.

Nice avatar kickerman. :thumbsup: for AU ENGR

Thanks

:big:

How in the world does a person write an article stating that Auburn's primary concern and area in need of improvement is pass coverage then argue that a guy who was a liability in pass coverage should be moved back into the secondary after gaining 20-25 pounds? Pure silliness.

Bates is the best LB on the team. He performed game-in, game-out over the second half of the season, and he was the best defender on the field in the bowl game. He's finally coming into his own as a LB on a team that needs bodies, talent, and experience at LB. Plus, he'd be a liability in pass coverage in the back, which would put more strain on the FS, likely Erique Florence. Moving him to Safety also takes either McNeal or Smith out of the rotation or forces one of them to play out of position (since both guys are bascially Strong Safeties). There really is no upside to taking Bates out of his best position and into a position he outgrew two years ago.

*ahem*bleacherreport*ahem*

Leave him at LB, but he has to improve his tackling. But that wasn't just a Bates problem, we had that problem throughout the defense the past couple years. I love big hits, but let's wrap them up and get them on the ground! I hope BVG gets back to some of that fundamental work...the stuff we did all the time growing up!

I have a problem with post that calls out a current players ability or performance. Thankfully most of posts on this thread are not of that ilk. If I were a AU player I would be PO to read negative posts, especially from people that had not played at the SEC level. I don't have a problem with speculation, but if we are going to offer advice to the current coaching staff then I want to see your resume in order to decide if your opinion is worth merit. Please state your highest level of academic and athletic acheivement, your current occupation, salary, net worth and a photo of your wife, kids and boyfriend if applicable.

Little doc

I didn't realize that you have to work in a profession to have any level of expertise. I suppose we should do away with the political forum. I have a feeling very few of those posters have any experience in crafting legislation on a state or local level, and I almost can guarantee no one on this board has experience adjudicating legal challenges to state and federal laws.

Seriously, you don't need to be a coach or player to have a valid, informed opinion on football performances, strategy, or personnel.

Bates need to stay where he is. As others have indicated, it looks more and more like he has LB figured out, so why change back? Some will argue we lack depth at safety, but we've got plenty of DBs we can shuffle around if needed. Talent is not an issue.

And since when do we have the bodies at LB to afford to move our BEST LB to safety? LB is the thinnest position on the team.

I have a problem with post that calls out a current players ability or performance. Thankfully most of posts on this thread are not of that ilk. If I were a AU player I would be PO to read negative posts, especially from people that had not played at the SEC level. I don't have a problem with speculation, but if we are going to offer advice to the current coaching staff then I want to see your resume in order to decide if your opinion is worth merit. Please state your highest level of academic and athletic acheivement, your current occupation, salary, net worth and a photo of your wife, kids and boyfriend if applicable.

Little doc

C'mon man: Following your logic here would shut the internet down. Only former SEC players and coaches are allowed to express an opinion about their favorite team? Would that be enough creds to comment on pro football, or would it be necessary to have experience as a pro player or coach in order to comment on the Falcons?

Gentlemen, what I am saying is that you should not make a negative comment about an AU player on this forum. General statements about the play of the linebackers or how they are coached are different. Making a negative comment about how a highly paid coach performs is fine, just like the legislature. Our players read these forums as do their friends and families. Our posts should respect the sacrifices they make.

Rule #4

4) "Leave the Players Alone. They are 18-22 year old kids. If they sometime act like kids, hey, that's what they do. If they have an off day, give them some grace. Saying that "the WRs underperformed" or "Joe Smith had a bad game" is very different from saying "Joe Smith sucks!""

The more critcal the testimony, the more critical the cross examination of expert witness credentials.

Little doc

Gentlemen, what I am saying is that you should not make a negative comment about an AU player on this forum. General statements about the play of the linebackers or how they are coached are different. Making a negative comment about how a highly paid coach performs is fine, just like the legislature. Our players read these forums as do their friends and families. Our posts should respect the sacrifices they make.

Rule #4

4) "Leave the Players Alone. They are 18-22 year old kids. If they sometime act like kids, hey, that's what they do. If they have an off day, give them some grace. Saying that "the WRs underperformed" or "Joe Smith had a bad game" is very different from saying "Joe Smith sucks!""

The more critcal the testimony, the more critical the cross examination of expert witness credentials.

Little doc

So you think saying that Bates' pass coverage skills are weak and therefore he's a better linebacker than safety is a negative comment? You think that's saying something bad about the guy? I don't agree at all.

"Erique Florence should play safety because he's not big enough to play linebbacker." Does that sound like Florence is being insulted? I think NOT.

"Erique Florence should play safety because he's not big enough to play linebbacker." Does that sound like Florence is being insulted? I think NOT.

No I don't, nor do I have an issue with any of your posts.

Most of the thread posts are deserving of the Auburn Family. Think if you sat down with a player in a friendly situation (say Julio on yacht in the gulf or a player picking up a few suits from TTown Menswear)and discussed a frank opinion that is factual most players would not have an issue. If I said something in that situation that would provoked an Eric Smith response then I would not post it online. Bet most of us didn't tolerate being disrespected by our brothers, either.

In strong families you work hard all day and enjoy the time afforded to relaxing in the warmth of being together. Think that is what CGC is trying to build upon on the plains. Are our forums are an extention of that vision? If not then finescum beckons.

Little doc (pardon me for not quoting threads)

Archived