AU vs. Ark

RunInRed

Why do we suck at free throws, no matter who the coach is? It's been this way since the Cliff Ellis years at least. We're frickin' 13 for 24 in this game. And losing by 3.

So we will have to win on the road at Bama or win a first round SEC tourney game just to guarantee a .500 finish overall, of course assuming we can beat LSU at home next Saturday. We suck.

Don't worry....others on this board say in another 2 to 3 years we'll be competitive!

You have to give Barbee two more years before we start passing judgment. Lebo got seven years, Fortner 8 so lets not jump all over the guy when the jury should still be out. He inherited a much bigger mess than the previously named two inherited.

Don't worry....others on this board say in another 2 to 3 years we'll be competitive!

You have to give Barbee two more years before we start passing judgment. Lebo got seven years, Fortner 8 so lets not jump all over the guy when the jury should still be out. He inherited a much bigger mess than the previously named two inherited.

Actually Lebo got 6 years (2004 season - 2009 season) but otherwise, I completely agree.

I am a Barbee fan but you have to call a spade a spade. When you blow a 17 point lead at home, the coach has to look in the mirror. No excuse for it. The inconsistency tells a story too. We beat a good MSU team at home last week then lose to a team no better than we are.

And to pass the blame around, it's partly my fault for not being there,

Giving a coach 3-4 years is fair. But, after basically 2 full seasons we are not getting better. It doesn't take THAT long to show improvement. I'm tired of making excuses, I want to make tournaments.

Not much needs to be said about blowing a 17 point lead at home. But plenty of blame to go around:

1. V Ward and C Denson. WTH, men? Final possesion was tailor made for Ward (and definitely not for Josh Wallace), but oh well . . .

2. 12-24 from the foul line. This is really not about coaching. Any idiot can practice enough to make 7 out of 10. And just 7 out of 10 wins this game, and many others.

3. Coach Barbee. B/c he's the coach, and blowing a 17 point lead AT HOME is inexcusable, under just about any circumstance.

If we finish sub .500 this season and miss postseason play altogether next season as well, Barbee needs to go no questions asked. Now with his new contract I doubt that would happen, but if we were serious about basketball then it would.

This is basketball, where teams can go from suck to good in 1 year. And with our new arena being an outstanding recruiting tool coupled with the fact we are on no sort of probation, three years of sub .500 basketball is absolutely unacceptable even if we are historically one of the worst basketball programs in the SEC.

Good players make a good coach look great. Right now Auburn just doesn't have the caliber of players needed. Lebo put the program in a tailspin, and Barbee is bringing it back around. A good class coming in next year is going to really put the program in the right direction.

How many programs in this country graduate great players or see underclassmen take off for the NBA and they still compete year after year. Basketball isn't football were you have to spend a couple of years putting on muscle to be SEC caliber, you can take a lot of kids out of HS and they are able to make the jump just fine. I know there aren't tons of those kids out there but there are enough. But you have to prepare them for this level and that's what's missing. There's so little maturity and leadership on this team it's ridiculous. This team peaked in late Jan - early Feb and is hitting the late season swoon. I wouldn't call him a failure yet, another year or two of no progress and that seat should be mighty toasty.

Any of my earlier comments should by no means be taken that I feel CTB is out of time or should be on the hot seat!!

It's just frustrating that in 2 years, we've won, what 8(?) SEC games. With play like we saw Saturday, another win this year is unlikely. The team will need to step it up to beat UAT and/or LSU. The SEC tourney will not be kind to a low-seeded AU team.

I guess what I'm missing is that in 2 years, this exciting young coach has not been able to put together a game where he beats a superior team (MSU has hit the skids of late, so I don't count that game). Just not much to get excited about in AU basketball right now.

The SEC West is, at best, below average. Win your home SEC West games, steal one on the road and a couple against the SEC East and you're 8-8 in SEC play.

How many programs in this country graduate great players or see underclassmen take off for the NBA and they still compete year after year. Basketball isn't football were you have to spend a couple of years putting on muscle to be SEC caliber, you can take a lot of kids out of HS and they are able to make the jump just fine. I know there aren't tons of those kids out there but there are enough. But you have to prepare them for this level and that's what's missing. There's so little maturity and leadership on this team it's ridiculous. This team peaked in late Jan - early Feb and is hitting the late season swoon. I wouldn't call him a failure yet, another year or two of no progress and that seat should be mighty toasty.

Exactly, but AU hasn't been recruiting and maybe never able to recruit basketball players like the UKs, Dukes, UNCs, or even Memphis's of the NCAA. Now with a couple of solid classes like what Barbee has coming in and the right team chemistry, they will start winning. I think Barbee is a good coach, but AU just doesn't have the players yet to compete consistently.

Exactly, but AU hasn't been recruiting and maybe never able to recruit basketball players like the UKs, Dukes, UNCs, or even Memphis's of the NCAA. Now with a couple of solid classes like what Barbee has coming in and the right team chemistry, they will start winning. I think Barbee is a good coach, but AU just doesn't have the players yet to compete consistently.

Not yet, wait til next year, we don't have the players yet... I am tired of hearing that crap. It has been 9 years since we made the NCAA tournament. That is frickin sad.

Archived