Games before school started

SLAG-91

The Carl Stephens thread and the "will Otis Mounds please report to the Auburn locker room" announcement brought back some memories...

Back when AU was on the quarter system, we used to have at least one and sometimes two home games before school began in late September. I was 3.5 hours away and I always picked one of those home games as a "move-in" weekend into my apartment (furniture, etc.)...spend a few hours putting stuff together, then the rest of the weekend was strictly football geared. Those games were a different kind of fun because there was no school to think about yet.

Anyone else with fond memories of those carefree games?

1983. I returned to campus a couple weeks before school started to catch the game against Texas @ home (our only loss of that season) when both teams were ranked if I remember in or near the top 5. The JH stands weren't close to full (esp. the greek sections in the student section) and I remember something funky about our band for that game (it was half-size, the band section was different or something like that). That game was closer than the 20-7 final score would suggest. I remember having Blondies Pizza after the game when you could get I think a large single topping and 2 large cokes for $4.99. Maybe why they're not in business any more?

Maybe not a good memory but SW La. (I think) game in 1985. Managed to sneek a bottle of Evan Williams in. 1:00 kickoff...hot as Hades. The bottle was gone by the end of the 3rd quarter and so was I! The ONLY time I've ever left an AU game early! Fortunately, my apartment was a block off campus on W Glenn. Stumbled home and layed in agony on the floor for the rest of the day/evening. Still felt bad 2 days later! I have NEVER done anything close to that since! I even stay away from hard liquor to this day!

Auburn won something like 49-7...No Blondies for me that day!

I remember going with friends to the '92 game at Ole Miss about a week or 2 before classes started. That was my first AU game as an official AU student!! AU won of course.

I remember going with friends to the '92 game at Ole Miss about a week or 2 before classes started. That was my first AU game as an official AU student!! AU won of course.

My first quarter down at AU move in weekend was AU at LSU in 97. AU won late and we rolled Toomer's Corner. Arkansas also beat Alabama that day.

Off topic but I dont get why AU went to the semester system. I would take the quarter system any day over the semester system.

I loved the qtr system except for the late September start. In 1988 we has 3 home games before school started. I did not know why we could not start earlier and break at thanksgiving until new years.

I never was on a quarter system, but do remember comments on why schools got off the later in September class start dates. There were complaints that starting late meant finishing late in the spring which made it difficult for students to find summer job sometimes.

I became a football fan because of the early games. I hate to admit it, but I didn't go to a single game my fresman year. I got to campus early my second year and went to a game because I had noting better to do. I don't remember much about that particular game on the field, but the atmosphere was amazing (even in the Doug Barfield years). I was instantly hooked, and never missed another home game while at AU.

1983. I returned to campus a couple weeks before school started to catch the game against Texas @ home (our only loss of that season) when both teams were ranked if I remember in or near the top 5. The JH stands weren't close to full (esp. the greek sections in the student section) and I remember something funky about our band for that game (it was half-size, the band section was different or something like that). That game was closer than the 20-7 final score would suggest. I remember having Blondies Pizza after the game when you could get I think a large single topping and 2 large cokes for $4.99. Maybe why they're not in business any more?

I was there, too. The way I remember it, we were never in that game. Our TD was a late, cosmetic add-on.

Archived