Another name as possible replacement

Tiger Growlin

Reality check -- No active HC is going to look at AUBURN due to our strong football program.  We must work with talented individuals from the Mid-major programs or pull an assistant coach out of the woods and give him a shot at building the program back to a level of respectability, while he starts to build his HC resume.  From that standpoint, Manning could be an excellent fit.  I don't know the Butler coach, but that program seems to make it to the tournament for a round or two each year.  Simply another opinion.

:dunno:

Reality check -- No active HC is going to look at AUBURN due to our strong football program.

1. Florida

2. Texas

3. Oklahoma

4. Tennessee

These are just a few examples of schools with strong football programs and strong basketball programs. Auburn has made the investment into the basketball facilities. I don't see why we couldn't have a strong football program and at the very least a decent basketball program.

:we:

Reality check -- No active HC is going to look at AUBURN due to our strong football program.

1. Florida

2. Texas

3. Oklahoma

4. Tennessee

These are just a few examples of schools with strong football programs and strong basketball programs. Auburn has made the investment into the basketball facilities. I don't see why we couldn't have a strong football program and at the very least a decent basketball program.

Although, those are traditional football powers, they have always had pretty good basketball programs too. 

1. Florida

2. Texas

3. Oklahoma

4. Tennessee

Although, those are traditional football powers, they have always had pretty good basketball programs too. 

exactly. well said a4e

AU has been to the NCAA tournament eight times

Florida has been to the tournament 14 times- all since 1987- Lates 80's Norm Sloan- B. Donnavon

Tennessee has been 17 times- 14 of those are since 1980

Texas has been to the tournament 27 times-  19 times since 1989. Pender and Barnes era

Oklahoma started having success in the 80"s when Billy Tubbs arrived

These programs have had recent success, but they do not have a long history of success. Auburn has made the investment in facilities. I believe that with the correct coach (go get a good one and pay him) AU can be successful in basketball. If we are to SEC basketball what South Carolina is to SEC football, why did we spend 92-93 million in facilities? I believe that AU has made a committment to be competetive in basketball, but we have to land a successful coach. That means putting up the money, as did Forida, to hire a great coach.

Anyone who thinks we are going to hire someone like Izzo is living on fantasy island. There is not enough money to get him to take that big of a downward step. Any "big name" would be taking a step down. That is not going to happen. Please explain why Person keeps getting mentioned. He has zero head coaching experience and no coaching experience at all on the college level. The next coach will be someone who is either 1. an assistant at a school in a major conference (provided he can't get a better job than Auburn) or 2. a head coach at the mid-major level. That's the reality of the situation that we know as Auburn basketball.

Anyone who thinks we are going to hire someone like Izzo is living on fantasy island. There is not enough money to get him to take that big of a downward step. Any "big name" would be taking a step down. That is not going to happen. Please explain why Person keeps getting mentioned. He has zero head coaching experience and no coaching experience at all on the college level. The next coach will be someone who is either 1. an assistant at a school in a major conference (provided he can't get a better job than Auburn) or 2. a head coach at the mid-major level. That's the reality of the situation that we know as Auburn basketball.

I agree with everything you said. There are several good coaches at the mid- major level, if there is a change made let's go get the best one out there.

you guys are nuts talking about  danny manning just because of a basketball school staff! jeff lebo came from north carolina under dean smith! just because someone is associated with greatness doesn't mean they'll be good too. my one name is mike anderson. he's been successfull everywhere he's been, and i love his style of play.

you guys are nuts talking about  danny manning just because of a basketball school staff! jeff lebo came from north carolina under dean smith! just because someone is associated with greatness doesn't mean they'll be good too. my one name is mike anderson. he's been successfull everywhere he's been, and i love his style of play.

I agree, Mike Anderson would bring excitement to Auburn. Along with the new arena and his style of play, it would be fun to watch and kids would want to play for him. If you put a good product on the floor, people will come to see it, ex. Chris Porter and co. The gym was packed for those games. We should support our team regardless but it is what it is. Auburn is a long drive for alot of people to make, and a two to three hour basketball game is a hard one to make it to, but if we had an exciting team to watch, then alot of fans would make the drive.

We need to bring someone in if we have an opening that is young and aggressive as a coach and a recruiter. Talking about guys from the pro`s amazes me. The ones being mentioned have never been a head coach or have ever done any recruiting at all. Recruiting is the life blood for any program. Lebo appears to have a decent class for next year but it may be too little, too late. I have no favorites. I`m not a big fan of Anderson and lord knows we won`t get a Petino or someone like that. Anderson wouldn`t come Auburn to interview when we hired Lebo; what would change that now.

Even though people Manning, Person have never been a head coach, well I would say what we have isn't isn't much of head coach now. After watching his 6 years on the Plains, one would never believe he's been a head coach before.

I just want a coach that knows and loves the college game. The reason I would choose Manning over Anderson right know is because I want a coach that can attract NBA talent. I don't believe Anderson's system will attract those type of players. Yes he would put a competitive product on the floor capable of winning the West but I want more than that. The only way we have real success and have any shot at competing for Final Fours is to get NBA talent. As long as Coach Cal is at Kentucky, we have to step our program up in a major way. That being said, there's no way we can pull a high level coach from they're current team. We must look at the next level to accomplish this and that is the assistant route or the mid major route. I don't know if a mid major coach out there right now has the juice to go head up with Coach Cal. Manning may not have what it takes either but who knows. Another thing we don't know is how much he's had to do with the current NBA talent on the Jayhawk roster.

Just to throw another name in the grab bag; Ernie Kent. He's seems to be under fire at Oregon and could be fired at the end of this season. He's been at that school 13 yrs and it's been kinda up and down, the last two years have been down. But he has taken Oregon to two Elite Eights, 2002 and 2007. That's farther than we've ever been. He knows he may not make to next season but still wants to coach. He's in a similar situation as our own HC. Oregon is set to move into a new arena next year as well. He a very good coach who may have just run his course at his current school or a coach on the downside of his career. One can never know at this point but if Lebo is fired and he is fired there there would be at least one coach out there who's had some success and has been deep in the tournament. And I doubt it would break the bank to get him. Just a thought.

Just to throw another name in the grab bag; Ernie Kent. He's seems to be under fire at Oregon and could be fired at the end of this season. He's been at that school 13 yrs and it's been kinda up and down, the last two years have been down. But he has taken Oregon to two Elite Eights, 2002 and 2007. That's farther than we've ever been. He knows he may not make to next season but still wants to coach. He's in a similar situation as our own HC. Oregon is set to move into a new arena next year as well. He a very good coach who may have just run his course at his current school or a coach on the downside of his career. One can never know at this point but if Lebo is fired and he is fired there there would be at least one coach out there who's had some success and has been deep in the tournament. And I doubt it would break the bank to get him. Just a thought.

His career record coming into the season is 308-237. 5 NCAA tournaments, 2 Elite 8s, 1 Pac 10 title and 2 NIT Final Fours. Not overly impressive but some good moments along the way.

I wouldn't mind getting him at all. I still say my coachingg search would start with, continue with, and end with Brad Stevens of Butler University. He is young, would probably stay here awhile with us moving into the new arena, and his teams are always good. Take a blank check with you on the plane ride and come back with an extra passenger. That extra person being Stevens of course.  :wedance:

Stevens will not leave Butler anytime soon, especially for Auburn.

Archived