Why Chuck Person?

Auhsv

What's the love of Chuck Person?  He was a great player, granted.  But someone told me that he isn't listed on the Laker's Media Guide as an assistant.  He hasn't coached in college, he doesn't have a degree,he hasn't recruited.  There are just way too many negatives about him and I think we should concentrate our efforts elsewhere.

What's the love of Chuck Person?  He was a great player, granted.  But someone told me that he isn't listed on the Laker's Media Guide as an assistant.  He hasn't coached in college, he doesn't have a degree,he hasn't recruited.  There are just way too many negatives about him and I think we should concentrate our efforts elsewhere.

Well said!  I think Person should get a spot at a smaller school and show everyone that he has what it takes to be a College coach.  I am sure there are plenty of small schools that would love to have him.  I just don't think you hand the keys to the program to someone who never has had that experience.

:dunno:

If Person does not get the Auburn job (and no one knows for sure he even wants it), he will be coaching in the NBA soon.

I would think he would but he has been in the NBA a long time. He would definitely have to consider it, but Auburn was a long time ago for him. It is one thing to visit and be loyal to the program and a totally different thing to move back once you have become accustomed to a different life. He has been groomed to be a head coach in the NBA and will get his chance soon. He may or may not want to come back to Auburn...

How old is Chuck Person? What is going on with his brother Wesley?  Does playing in the NBA and doing some coaching there, equate to being able to coach on the collegiate level? Is coaching in the NBA like coaching in the NFL with regard to being able to transfer it to being a success in college? Just a few questions for the Doc.

Lets put it this way.  He has made it clear personally to several people I am in contact with that he wants the job, and very badly at that.

Fair enough then, that is good enough for me. I was just stating that some people prefer the big cities and limelight to the small town living. Personally I was born in Dallas Texas and lives both there and around Phoenix Arizona until I was 16. I was forced to move to a small town in Alabama and hated it for a few years but now would not go back for my life. Each person is different. Personally, I am glad to hear what you said as he is my 2ND choice...

I think Barbee would be my top choice other than Tubby Smith. I honestly don't know whats going on in Jay Jacobs mind. All I (we) can do as fans is just wait it out and see what happens.

I certainly enjoy hearing all of yall opinions... thanks for sharing them. It keeps me on the go all the time with the new information.

I believe that JJ is fortunate enough to be making this search while he has time to make the right choice. I would have to think the longer he takes, the better chance the hire will be.

If he does his homework and gets the right guy... it wont take much to get Auburn back on track.

Seems like Barbee is the one guy we all have on our list somewhere. I do believe he would get it done...

I don't see Barbee as anything better than Marlin, or Johnny Jones.  They are all lower level coaches who have put their teams in the tournament.  Nothing special about Barbee any more than Marlin or Jones to me. 

I am still holding out hope that JJ is still going to reel in a top name like Tubby or Anderson.  I know most of the rumors and interviews mean nothing.  JJ warned that most of what you read and hear will be wrong.

I can hope.

:wedance:

I think Barbee would be my top choice other than Tubby Smith. I honestly don't know whats going on in Jay Jacobs mind. All I (we) can do as fans is just wait it out and see what happens.

I certainly enjoy hearing all of yall opinions... thanks for sharing them. It keeps me on the go all the time with the new information.

I believe that JJ is fortunate enough to be making this search while he has time to make the right choice. I would have to think the longer he takes, the better chance the hire will be.

If he does his homework and gets the right guy... it wont take much to get Auburn back on track.

I don`t know his mind or mindset but can try to appreciate his position. I`m sure he has folks he relies on and I`m personally glad that there doesn`t seem to be, at least from them, a lot of unfounded rumors and speculation. Lord knows there is enough already out there. I`m just glad we have a website like this where mostly just the Auburn family can cuss and discuss as one without a bunch of lurkers and posers around.

WDE

If you don't see Barbee as any better than those guys you need to dial that number on the Lenscrafters commercial brother.He's third on my list and WILL get it done.

If you don't see Barbee as any better than those guys you need to dial that number on the Lenscrafters commercial brother.He's third on my list and WILL get it done.

Enlighten me why he is better?

Barbee.jpg

I am not slamming you.  I am curious as to why everyone is so high on Barbee?  What I have seen is ST mentioned that he was a favorite of his and a bunch of members automatically jumped on the Barbee bandwagon.  I don't see where his record makes him any better than Marlin or Jones.  I don't want either, and I am not pulling for any of them.  I just don't see the infatuation for Barbee other than ST said he liked him early on in the search.

Barbee.jpg

I am not slamming you.  I am curious as to why everyone is so high on Barbee?  What I have seen is ST mentioned that he was a favorite of his and a bunch of members automatically jumped on the Barbee bandwagon.  I don't see where his record makes him any better than Marlin or Jones.  I don't want either, and I am not pulling for any of them.  I just don't see the infatuation for Barbee other than ST said he liked him early on in the search.

The fact is none of us know for sure who the best next coach will be. I sure don`t. If I did I might try to bet someone. We all have our thoughts and opinions and so far I haven`t even decided who if any one particular coach I support. Just because a coach is great or average at one school doesn`t guarantee anything somewhere else. I just hope whomever JJ picks turns out to be the right fit at Auburn and can make us competitive again on a conference and national level.

WDE

Barbee is a trendy pick just like Turner Gill was in football. To slam Chuck Person's potential and then tout Barbee is crazy to me. You gonna tell me Barbee coaching at UTEP for 4 years makes him so much more qualified than Chuck freakin Person? Come on guys, don't throw out coaching names just because you think it makes you sound smarter or to be going along with the crowd. I'm not saying Barbee couldn't be huge here (or Person for that matter), but unless you hire a proven, big-time coach, it's all a crapshoot.

Barbee.jpg

The fact is none of us know for sure who the best next coach will be. I sure don`t. If I did I might try to bet someone. We all have our thoughts and opinions and so far I haven`t even decided who if any one particular coach I support. Just because a coach is great or average at one school does not guarantee anything somewhere else. I just hope whomever JJ picks turns out to be the right fit at Auburn and can make us competitive again on a conference and national level.

WDE

I am in agreement with you on that.  I do think one should note that some candidates have won where ever they have coached, (Tubby, and Anderson).   My thoughts and opinions are that we need a proven winner at the major level to come in and change the face of AU basketball.  Other people see people like Barbee or Person being the answer.  I can not say that they are wrong.  I just go with the highest percentage of success on someone's resume.  

One thing I find odd, is that several on here have screamed bloody murder that Marlin or Jones are being interviewed and that is well below what we should be looking at, but then say that Barbee is the man to get.  I don't see where he is any better than those two.

Barbee.jpg

The fact is none of us know for sure who the best next coach will be. I sure don`t. If I did I might try to bet someone. We all have our thoughts and opinions and so far I haven`t even decided who if any one particular coach I support. Just because a coach is great or average at one school does not guarantee anything somewhere else. I just hope whomever JJ picks turns out to be the right fit at Auburn and can make us competitive again on a conference and national level.

WDE

I am in agreement with you on that.  I do think one should note that some candidates have won where ever they have coached, (Tubby, and Anderson).   My thoughts and If stories are true, we don`t have a chance on Smith and not much of one on Anderson but to me a lot of that isn`t coach speak maybe.Again I`m glad it isn`t my decision; opinions are that we need a proven winner at the major level to come in and change the face of AU basketball.  Other people see people like Barbee or Person being the answer.  I can not say that they are wrong.  I just go with the highest percentage of success on someone's resume.  

One thing I find odd, is that several on here have screamed bloody murder that Marlin or Jones are being interviewed and that is well below what we should be looking at, but then say that Barbee is the man to get.  I don't see where he is any better than those two.

I agree that a proven track record does give some validity and history to some of these coaches. But then again, if we went strictly by head coaching track records we wouldn`t have Chizik either. I`m afraid sometimes it just boils down to a crap shoot and see where it leads. I think a lot of these choices you could throw all of them in a hat and choose one.

Barbee.jpg

WDE

I am in agreement with you on that.  I do think one should note that some candidates have won where ever they have coached, (Tubby, and Anderson).   My thoughts and If stories are true, we don`t have a chance on Smith and not much of one on Anderson but to me a lot of that isn`t coach speak maybe.Again I`m glad it isn`t my decision; opinions are that we need a proven winner at the major level to come in and change the face of AU basketball.  Other people see people like Barbee or Person being the answer.  I can not say that they are wrong.  I just go with the highest percentage of success on someone's resume.  

I agree that a proven track record does give some validity and history to some of these coaches. But then again, if we went strictly by head coaching track records we wouldn`t have Chizik either. I`m afraid sometimes it just boils down to a crap shoot and see where it leads. I think a lot of these choices you could throw all of them in a hat and choose one.

Yes, that was my point.  I don't see any difference in any of the mid major candidates that I have heard, yet some on here are clamoring for Barbee like he is on the same level as Tubby or Anderson.  He may be a good coach, and he might succeed here.  I just do not see him as anything better than Jones or Marlin.

Archived