QUESTION ABOUT GOLF CLUB LENGTH

I have a question for our golfers in the know, I have recently started choking down on my driver and 3wood about an inch and a half and have noticed that I can swing as hard as I want to and have actually gained distance, accuracy, and confidence as well. Also, I have started to choke down an inch on my 6-3 irons and can stripe these clubs down the middle with no loss of distance. My question is, if I cut my driver and 3wood down an inch and a half and cut my 6-3 irons down an inch, will this mess my game up? I know swingweight will have to be adjusted, but I can do that with tape. 

Guest Autiger88

I have a question for our golfers in the know, I have recently started choking down on my driver and 3wood about an inch and a half and have noticed that I can swing as hard as I want to and have actually gained distance, accuracy, and confidence as well. Also, I have started to choke down an inch on my 6-3 irons and can stripe these clubs down the middle with no loss of distance. My question is, if I cut my driver and 3wood down an inch and a half and cut my 6-3 irons down an inch, will this mess my game up? I know swingweight will have to be adjusted, but I can do that with tape. 

:laugh::-X:laugh::-X

Be very careful doing this yourself unless your an expert at it. Cutting down or shorten your clubs can change alot of things, ex. clubhead lie minus or plus., weight like you mention. My advice would be if it works why shorten your clubs? If your serious get fitted by a professional. 

Well, I was told that my clubs should be standard length and my lie angles should be standard, but when I choke down, I seem to hit the ball with much more accuracy. That's why I was considering doing this. What I may do is cut my 4 iron down an inch, since it's the club I hit the least, and see what happens. If it changes the feel of the club too dramatically, I can always fix it back.

Well, I was told that my clubs should be standard length and my lie angles should be standard, but when I choke down, I seem to hit the ball with much more accuracy. That's why I was considering doing this. What I may do is cut my 4 iron down an inch, since it's the club I hit the least, and see what happens. If it changes the feel of the club too dramatically, I can always fix it back.

Sounds good. Let me know how it works.

I choke down on all my clubs . I tried a shorter length driver but didnt have the same results, so i went back to standard length. I wouldn't mess with them. Should have no reason to

Cutting clubs down aka "tipping or tipped clubs" changes the stiffness and kick-point of the shafts. It also changes the swing weight of the club. My guess is you're striping it right now b/c you're hitting the sweet spot even though in theory your club head speed should be slower. BTW, watch some youtube videos of Anthony Kim. He's won several times on tour and chokes down on all his clubs.

Thanks guys, I will just start choking down on all my clubs. I would rather do that than take a chance on ruining my clubs.

Weegs, just remember, if you go with a shorter shaft, to keep your wood polished at all times. That is the most important thing

I usually keep a wet towel in my bag to clean my shaft on the course and to keep my balls clean because you don't want to play with dirty balls, just sayin'.

I usually keep a wet towel in my bag to clean my shaft on the course and to keep my balls clean because you don't want to play with dirty balls, just sayin'.

Did you learn that from Barry Manilow? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :'( :laugh: :laugh: :'( :laugh: Where are my meds?

:laugh: :laugh: :'( :laugh: :laugh: :'( :laugh: Where are my meds?

Sorry weegs, the set was just too dang easy :dunno:

:laugh: :laugh:

you are a sick man weegle

I think I am going to stick with my longer shaft because it would seem to me if you have a shorter shaft, then you couldn't get enough penetration into the rough if your ball gets stuck. Also if you have a long putter shaft then it would be easier around the hole to prevent injury to the back. Just sayin'.

I think I am going to stick with my longer shaft because it would seem to me if you have a shorter shaft, then you couldn't get enough penetration into the rough if your ball gets stuck. Also if you have a long putter shaft then it would be easier around the hole to prevent injury to the back. Just sayin'.

Since you're not really a player it doesn't matter in your case ;)

Since you're not really a player it doesn't matter in your case ;)

I take a "stab" at the hole every once in a while.  ;D

Archived