Gabe Wright

RunInRed

He's a must-get type of player in a huge position of need for AU.

179888_184529361578983_100000657627053_490433_3635699_n.jpg

Gabe Wright, DT

Columbus, GA (Carver -- yes, Dell McGee)

6'4 / 270 / 4.98

Offers (15+):

Alabama, Auburn, California, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Nebraska, North Carolina, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Tennessee and UCLA among others.

Rankings:

Rivals: 4-star (5.8), No. 13 rated DT, No. 13 in the state of Georgia, No. 141 overall prospect (Rivals250 member)

247Sports: 4-star (94), No. 11 rated DT, No. 12 in the state of Georgia, No. 132 overall prospect (The 247 member)

Scout: 4-star, No. 11 rated DT

Wright needs to play with better pad level and work on the use of his hands. If his hands are more active and he shows better punch, then he will be able to disengage better. He has the physical tools and athleticism to be an elite 2011 defensive tackle. He is quick enough to be a big defensive end in high school, but he is an interior guy on the next level. He still has a lot of room to improve with a lot of potential.

http://auburn.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=8&c=1&nid=4191923

Wright is a defender who is capable of being a menace in the trenches. He has good size with the frame to add more bulk and he also brings some versatility to the table. He could fit as a defensive tackle / "three"-technique in a 4-3 defense and could also fit well at the end spot in 3-4. You like the energy he plays with and at this point he can seem a little like a 'bull in a china shop' at times. He can be explosive off the ball, but you would like to see him be more consistent in his get-off. He does have good strength and can generate power and deliver a serious blow on contact that can knock blockers on their heels and at times their butt. He does a solid job of using his hands and creating some separation. Displays the ability to be engage blockers, separate, and hold his ground. Locates the ball well and can get penetration and be disruptive in the backfield. He has a good motor and will pursue to the ball. As a pass rusher he will flash the ability to use his weapons and attack half-a-man and quickly get by. He does though need to be careful to not attack the whole man at times and get caught up. You do like that he displays the smarts to get his hands up when he realizes he can not get to the quarterback. Wright is a high motor kid who needs to channel some of his energy into better technique at times to maximize his abilities, but you like the way he plays the game with a violent nature and could be a productive college defender.

http://football.uaallamerica.com/pub/All-Stars/Gabe-Wright

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we need you Gabe!!! I know T-Rock would love to have another beast like DT clogging up the middle in the upcoming years with Whittaker and Carter!

I think he's one of the more important recruits for us this year. Not only is he a great player, we've somehow GOT to break back into the Columbus schools and resume getting players from there.

I think he's one of the more important recruits for us this year. Not only is he a great player, we've somehow GOT to break back into the Columbus schools and resume getting players from there.

I agree. Dell McGee has really turned the Carver program into the premier football school in Columbus (an area known for its "athletics satellite" schools) over Shaw High. Carver OT prospect Quincy McKinney is looking for an AU offer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With Wright visiting this weekend, any chance we get a commit out of him in the near future? I believe we are the last stop on his summer trips and he's stated a few times now we are his #1.

I don't think he'll make a decision until late in the process (The Under Armour All-American game has been mentioned).

A free article from Scout...

Wright Visits Auburn, Talks Leader

By Jason Caldwell, Inside The Auburn Tigers

Columbus, Ga.--Carver defensive lineman Gabe Wright has made several trips to Auburn to check out Gene Chizik’s Tigers. On Saturday he took another visit to the Plains as the Tigers practiced late into the night under the lights. Enjoying the opportunity to watch the coaches and players in action, Wright said he’s still very much favoring Auburn at the moment while looking at a host of other schools including Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee.

“Auburn definitely,” Wright said when asked if anyone was on top for him at the moment. “It’s overall comfortableness. I could sit here and say family, family, family, but if you really want me to get in depth it’s just that bond. When I went through the building it was the O-Line coach, wide receiver coach, safety coach telling me to backpedal.

“When we had a camp at Auburn I was down there playing offensive guard and coach (Jeff) Grimes was dead serious about switching me to offensive guard if I keep gaining weight. It’s just all about feel. I go to Alabama. They are the national champs. They have a high popularity about them like ‘hey we’re on top and if you’re going to come you’re going to come’. At Auburn it’s ‘Going Good To Great’. That’s their motto and I live by it.”

Read more...

• 3 months later...
Great interview with Gabe Wright. #Auburn still leads.Said Isaiah Crowell needs to come here, I don't want to play against him

@BMatt247

• 2 weeks later...

Gabe's comments after the Bama game..........

"Auburn won. We won. It was a great day for me."- Four-star DT Gabe Wright."

Quote courtesy of Rivals.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd take that with a grain of salt - especially coming from a UGA site. Again, unless some thing crazy happens, Wright is AU bound.

I read the AJC sports almost every day. You can get some information there but you CAN NOT accept what that recruiting writer posts as truth. Really, his column is more wishful thinking than anything else.

Wright may take an official visit to some other schools, but if he winds up signing with someone other than Auburn I'll be shocked.

So, there's an article on the Clempson rivals site that says Gabe's mom now all of a sudden doesn't like Auburn and like's their co-DC alot more than Rocker now.

Anybody? Bueller?

http://clemson.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1164463&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Clemson would love to have him, be he's heading this direction. At least that's what I think, which is slightly better than no one, but less than any one. :P

Archived