Why we struggled on O

Guest jojo1515

Guest jojo1515

Hate to start another thread, but very few are discussing what I believe truly slowed our running game down. LOW QUALITY ARTIFICIAL TURF!

Go back and watch the beginning of the game. Every time someone tried to make a quick cut with speed, they instead slipped or slid to the ground. Our offense is set up on speed and power. NM is more of a speed guy that outruns people to the edge and cuts up field, as is Corey Grant and Ricardo. When these guys have to intentionally slow down to try and turn, they are ineffective. Those three guys are 3/4 of our rushing attack.

Also, CAP seems to specialize in coming to the line and bouncing sideways into a hole. When your ability to make quick cuts is erased, you end up looking for holes that don't require cuts (especially ineffective against a well disciplined defense).

K States field is intentionally set up to even the playing field between quick players and slower hard working players. In an open air stadium, there is no excuse for having turf unless it gives you an advantage. While we can practice on turf to prepare, K State plays on it all year. IMO, turf should be outlawed just like blue fields with blue jerseys were. It is no coincidence that K State is widely considered such a tough place to play. It is certainly not due to filling a team with walk-ons.

Interesting point. I did notice quite a few losses of footing by Auburn players last. I wasn't sure what that was about - thought it might have had something to do with our cleats - but the turf easily coming loose would explain it too.

Hmm. I agree that OP has a valid point. I don't have recording to go back and watch but I do remember a lot of slippage going on by our players.

Maybe that is why we went north/south on the run more in the second half r seemed that way... Maybe our lack of success on the running plays was not because KState was that great.

I don't think that was the main reason (that was a combo of us not executing and Kansas State being a well coached, disciplined defensive ball club), but the playing surface was odd and slick and made it hard to cut. Certainly negated some of our speed advantage.

Guest jojo1515

Borrowed from "https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CAwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fplasticfieldsfornever.org%2FArtificialTurfBooklet.pdf&ei=__QcVKG_LILjsATV9oKYDA&usg=AFQjCNGeAGuxLvUMh8ktGidqk_hkkZtdUQ&sig2=3BhrVyXskXKZtVQ78R1_Iw"

Correcting Problems, Creating New Ones

Static cling is also a nuisance for synthetic turf fields and requires diluted fabric softener to be sprayed on the field. The softener also serves to retard the odor – described by some as the smell of “old tires and locker rooms” – that comes from the rubber infill. However, the application of softener can make the field slippery for players.

While an artificial surface may seem smoother, lines are not easier to apply and remove. Painting lines has been found to create problems because the paint soon spreads, leading to messy lines and unsafe, slippery conditions. Other methods for creating lines on artificial turf is to “tuft-in” colored pieces, glue in sections or stitching during manufacturing. These efforts all come at a cost to accommodate various sports such as lacrosse, soccer and football.

Hate to start another thread, but very few are discussing what I believe truly slowed our running game down. LOW QUALITY ARTIFICIAL TURF!

Go back and watch the beginning of the game. Every time someone tried to make a quick cut with speed, they instead slipped or slid to the ground. Our offense is set up on speed and power. NM is more of a speed guy that outruns people to the edge and cuts up field, as is Corey Grant and Ricardo. When these guys have to intentionally slow down to try and turn, they are ineffective. Those three guys are 3/4 of our rushing attack.

Also, CAP seems to specialize in coming to the line and bouncing sideways into a hole. When your ability to make quick cuts is erased, you end up looking for holes that don't require cuts (especially ineffective against a well disciplined defense).

K States field is intentionally set up to even the playing field between quick players and slower hard working players. In an open air stadium, there is no excuse for having turf unless it gives you an advantage. While we can practice on turf to prepare, K State plays on it all year. IMO, turf should be outlawed just like blue fields with blue jerseys were. It is no coincidence that K State is widely considered such a tough place to play. It is certainly not due to filling a team with walk-ons.

^^^^ This... I hardly ever post, but wanted to ask about this very thing as I thought it was a bigger deal than most realized...

I remember the bad turf (real grass) they had to replace in the 2010 National Championship that I thought really affected both Auburn and Oregon especially on offense.

The turf at K state intintionally being slick to slow down quicker teams makes sense, and I think affected some of our aggresive Defenders too... Theresie made it clean through on a play and normally would have made that sack but could not adjust, make a cut or stay on his feet... Grants lack of cutting ability was immediately noticed, and it really hurt nick and cap too.

Now I don't think they should outlaw the turf and actually if they have intentinally set up their home field this way to make it a more even playing field... I say good for them and WAY more effective than stealing signals (which I don't believe we did but is also legal) so more power to em...

If there was a "plan" to be gleened from this game for other teams to use against Auburn... it would be like what one of our rival High Schools did in the state playoffs a few years ago to our local school to slow our quicker players down... I guess they let the grass grow a bit longer, turned on the sprinklers for a few days before the game and made it soggy muddy mess to run in and leveled the playing field regarding our teams speed. Not sure if that was legal or not... but it sure worked.

So I wouldn't be surprised if we never see another "complete" lack of offensive production like Thursday again this year... unless we have another 2013 LSU type Monsoon game in the rain, or Miss State turns on the sprinklers for a week.

I don't get this premise. How is it the slower players are not affected? I mean there were some very fast guys for KSU. Or has KSU developed a secret spray they put on the bottom of their cleats that counteracts the turf conditions. Maybe they went back to wearing PF flyers ( run faster and jump higher for those that are older and remember those commercials).

In all honesty conditions always affect both teams. Take off the tinfoil hats.

I don't get this premise. How is it the slower players are not affected? I mean there were some very fast guys for KSU. Or has KSU developed a secret spray they put on the bottom of their cleats that counteracts the turf conditions. Maybe they went back to wearing PF flyers ( run faster and jump higher for those that are older and remember those commercials).

It does but it effected us more because it brought a strength to a weakness and leveled the playing field for the other team. As for the field who cares really what we seem to forget is: First road game in a hostile environment against a good team.

No it's not tinfoil. That sort of thing does work and has been done numerous times in the past. I don't know if that actually played a role or not but it is a real thing.

It was a small deal, we had to adjust. They did keep Baylor close there last year. But I don't think stats indicate it's a factor (unlike say Eugene).

Wrs playing tight and overlooked calls on one side created the close game. Don't think Sammie feels 100% an it may effected him mentally. Others the pressure of lofty expectations. Hopefully experience will put it behind us.

Small factor: not calling holds and block in the backs, when the official is standing 6 feet from the infraction and looking right at it! (big 12 officials)

Grant tried to plant his foot on his first run play and it literally looked like he was on skis. Dude slide like laterally for what looked like 8 yards and was tackled for no gain. Im sure the turf negated some of our team speed but it looked like something else was going on with this team. They looked as mentally disconnected as Ive ever seen a Malzahn team look. I just hope we can fix it before it costs us some games.

Grant tried to plant his foot on his first run play and it literally looked like he was on skis. Dude slide like laterally for what looked like 8 yards and was tackled for no gain. Im sure the turf negated some of our team speed but it looked like something else was going on with this team. They looked as mentally disconnected as Ive ever seen a Malzahn team look. I just hope we can fix it before it costs us some games.

there did seem to be some disconnect. I don't like to sound like an excuse maker but I think we are a lot better on offense than this game. I must give ksu defense credit too but that was not the "Gus bus" that we will see the rest of the season. We coming back.

there did seem to be some disconnect. I don't like to sound like an excuse maker but I think we are a lot better on offense than this game. I must give ksu defense credit too but that was not the "Gus bus" that we will see the rest of the season. We coming back.

Oh there is no question that Auburn is a better offensive team than what they showed Thursday night. We've seen what they can do and they just looked out of sorts pretty much all game long. When this offense is clicking it is a beautiful sight.

Small factor: not calling holds and block in the backs, when the official is standing 6 feet from the infraction and looking right at it! (big 12 officials)

Also not calling picks on KSU pass plays and our team missing several key blocks that could turned in big plays.

Honestly looked like we were looking past KSU. We were not up for the game. The turf did suck. But were we not very physical on offense. defense played great and over came poor officials

I saw a lot of what has already been mentioned here. However, what stood out to me the most was that it appeared that KSU came to play ball and prove the naysayers wrong and we showed up like we had already won the game and looking to the next one.. Wasn't there but that's what it appeared like from my couch.

Archived