Week 8 (Bye) - Sunday Updates

RunInRed

Auburn DC Ellis Johnson: "We played very average in some spots, and against a really balanced football team, that's what you got."
Johnson on the defense: "I didn't think our players played within themselves. … You just can't make the number of mistakes that we made."
Johnson: "I thought for the most part, our defensive backs did a good job. … I thought our guys competed."
Johnson on CB Jonathan Jones: "I think he played pretty good, and I really think he was in good position on the (PI) call he got."
Johnson on defending Prescott: It's hard. … That's the philosophy guys are looking for" a RB that "can throw it 40 yards."
Johnson: "We never went into the game we could stop them, we went into the game thinking we could make critical stops."
Johnson says star Justin Garrett has been moved "inside" to LB, freshman Nick Ruffin is backing up Robenson Therezie at star.
Johnson: "I think we're playing pretty well except for mental mistakes. We're a little better football team than the way we're playing."
Johnson on the progress of DE Carl Lawson: "They just keep talking about how remarkably well he doing. … He's weeks ahead of most people."

@AUBlog

Ellis Johnson says lack of 4-man pass rush is still a concern, "it looks like pass (skeleton)."

@JamesCrepea

Auburn O-coordinator Rhett Lashlee: "You can't have three turnovers on the road in an environment like that."
Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on Roc Thomas: "I can definitely can see his role expanding."
Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on bye week: "Allows us to slow down…and really look at ourselves. 'Here's the direction we really need to focus on'"
Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on national picture: "All we can do is try to win. Winning takes care of everything."

@AUGoldMine

Rhett Lashlee on 3rd & goal at 5 C.J. Uzomah reverse pass: "Looking back, would love to have a different call."

@JamesCrepea

OC Rhett Lashlee on RZ issues: "A couple of it was things where we didn't execute. … Probably couple of calls we could put them in better position
Lashlee on Nick Marshall tipped passes: "It's been an issue more than it has been. That's something this week we'll take a look at."
Lashlee on using Roc Thomas more: "Our plan was to play him more. … We feel like he's getting to where he's ready."
Lashlee on Thomas and the bye week: "Definitely will expect it to help him."
Lashlee on Corey Grant's lack of touches: "You know with Corey, he's like a lightning rod, … we've got to get creative and get him touches."
Lashlee on using LT Braden Smith as a TE: "We felt like it was good to incorporate him more in third down situations."
Lashlee on Nick Marshall vs. MSU: "I don't think he had a phenomenal game, but I don't think he played bad."
Lashlee on Marshall's completion percentage: "I think there's 2 things, he's got to get better especially on the short passes."

@AUBlog

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on Roc Thomas: "I can definitely can see his role expanding."

Lashlee on using Roc Thomas more: "Our plan was to play him more. … We feel like he's getting to where he's ready."

Not saying Roc should start but he needs to be getting half the RB touches...he looked really good on Saturday against a very good front 7

Not saying Roc should start but he needs to be getting half the RB touches...he looked really good on Saturday against a very good front 7

Just want to pump the brakes a tad. When Rock was in and basically ran us down the field, did Danielson not say that he was running again MSU's #2 on the D-line? Then when we got down near the goal line, MSU put back in their #1s on D-line and we switched to passing. Did Roc have any big plays besides this series? (couldnt watch parts of 3rd & 4th qtr) I was was like "woah!", but then i heard danielson say, "MSU is putting there #1s back in. That tempered may expectations a tad.

Not arguing over ROC vs CAP, just wondering if anyone else heard Danielson say that?

Just want to pump the brakes a tad. When Rock was in and basically ran us down the field, did Danielson not say that he was running again MSU's #2 on the D-line? Then when we got down near the goal line, MSU put back in their #1s on D-line and we switched to passing. Did Roc have any big plays besides this series? (couldnt watch parts of 3rd & 4th qtr) I was was like "woah!", but then i heard danielson say, "MSU is putting there #1s back in. That tempered may expectations a tad.

Not arguing over ROC vs CAP, just wondering if anyone else heard Danielson say that?

I thought I heard this as well but wasnt sure, Im glad you heard it too. That said it does appear Roc has the ability to set up blocks and dodge tackles like Tre did.

I heard the same thing, so not sure we can judge how well Roc would do against their #1. He did get in for another series, but not sure against which defense it was.

I am really surprised that Corey Grant hasn't been getting touches the past two weeks. I wonder if he is in the doghouse or something. He was getting a lot of touches until recently.

Gotta agree with pretty much everything the coaches said. Outside of some turnovers, nobody really had a bad game. We just shot ourselves in the foot, didn't execute at times, and MSU seized opportunities (opportunities that also came Auburn's way that they did not capitalize on).

IMO, I knew we were beat after the first two plays. It's HARD to overcome those obstacles on the road. After The first two plays all the momentum went to MSU and it seemed like we never could fully get it back.

I'm really impressed with our defense. Getting better each week. They kept us in the game. There is always something to improve on but overall if we can get our offense worked out and play a complete game on O and D like the LSU game we have a great chance. Hopefully with a bye week we're able to get those things worked out. We're NOT out of it yet. WDE!

What could go wrong, did go wrong.

Indeed it did. The really bad thing is I thought the game started as best as it could with our D forcing a three and out on MSU and quieting the crowd a bit. Then the very first offensive play we have the pick and it was a totally different game from then on. Just like LSU last year if we dont have the turnovers early we played toe to toe with them and it could have been a different outcome.

Agree. It doesn't matter if he starts...just get him more carries.

Agree. It doesn't matter if he starts...just get him more carries.

I think we will all be amazed at what the week off does for the whole team. Roc will get more touches and the offense will look more like the LSU game than MSU. If Auburn doesnt come out and look great on both sides of the ball I will be surprised and then I will worry....

1 carry for Corey Grant on Saturday. Now that just blows my mind. I've seen people saying that MSU (as well as other teams) have really focused on shutting down the outside runs but 1 carry? How do we know something is really shut down when we aren't even attempting it?

I think Corey Grant got few carries against MSU because their defense was shutting down the outside. Roc will be a very good RB, but he's still learning the system and will need to become an effective blocker in order to get more playing time.

I'll be interested to see what changes the coaches make in the offense during this bye week -- if any.

Shouldn't Gus have the ability to keep defenses honest if they are shutting down the outside? Wouldn't having Grant as one option, CAP another option, Marshal keeping it a 3rd option, Marshal passing as a 4th option keep them honest? I'm just not buying that the MSU defense kept Grant out of the entire game from start to finish. This is two weeks in a row. When MSU stopped CAP up the middle we didn't say, "well I guess we won't even try." That is why I am not buying the reasons for Grant not playing. I truly feel it is something beyond Xs and Os.

I also don't understand the 1 carry for Grant. He says he wants to run inside and has shown power to hit people. So what if they shut down the outside runs. Let him have a few runs up the middle. Lord knows if he breaks through the line, no one is going to catch him down the middle of the field.

Well, there are other possible explanations for not running Grant at RB more often. Maybe he is not doing a very good job of blocking, so he's not in the game as much. Maybe he doesn't see holes as well inside so they use him mostly outside or as backup. I'm sure the coaches have their reasons. They say the same words about using JJ more.

1 carry for Corey Grant on Saturday. Now that just blows my mind. I've seen people saying that MSU (as well as other teams) have really focused on shutting down the outside runs but 1 carry? How do we know something is really shut down when we aren't even attempting it?

I guess Gus just forgot how to coach. Really sad. I wonder if we can get mike Shula....unbelievable ...

"Lashlee on Marshall's completion percentage: "I think there's 2 things, he's got to get better especially on the short passes."

Is that the motto of the season?

uh oh Rhett isn't an Auburn man. I bet he thinks he can do better. ...

"Lashlee on Marshall's completion percentage: "I think there's 2 things, he's got to get better especially on the short passes."

uh oh Rhett isn't an Auburn man. I bet he thinks he can do better. ...

They were pretty wrong for setting a 65-70% for Marshall though. Marshall can't hit that in a single game (unless he's throwing 6 passes in one half against Arkansas) much less do that for an entire season.

I don't think people are giving the ref's enough credit for their role in the game .Nick hit a couple of big plays that were called back by the ref's that would have changed the game.

I know I'm wrong but i just don't remember many short passes being thrown against State. Did he throw a bubble screen? or dump one off to a tailback?

I remember him missing two badly that were short towards the sideline. I also remember Sammie catching one but it was a pretty bad throw, he had to go to his knees and stretch out to grab it

I remember him missing two badly that were short towards the sideline. I also remember Sammie catching one but it was a pretty bad throw, he had to go to his knees and stretch out to grab it

Are you saying that a throw from the middle(25-30 yards??) of the field to the sideline is a short pass? Not flaming, just wanting some clarification of what you call a short pass.

Archived