2015 Preseason Practice - Day 6

RunInRed

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus Malzahn's post-practice presser ...

Gus Malzahn said Auburn went 90 plays in its first scrimmage and the defense dominated the offense

Malzahn said Carl Lawson was just about unblockable today in the first scrimmage

Malzahn said they had the scoreboard on for the scrimmage so the players can get used to it "It's a factor, it's a big factor"

@ITATJason

Scrimmage was run-oriented. Also did some live special teams.

Gus: Duke was not out there today. Reiterates that he will tell us when he returns to the team.

Gus on positives: It really confirmed that we're going to have a lot of young guys that are going to help us.

Center Austin Golson did not scrimmage today, but Malzahn hopes to have him back soon.

Malzahn says this was the best he's seen from a defense in a scrimmage.

Malzahn also notes that Lawson is 100 percent and looking better than before.

Team practiced with scoreboard on. Only had a still screen today, but will simulate game-type things on the scoreboard on Saturday

@AUBlog

Malzahn said the scrimmage confirmed that "a lot of young guys have chance to help us" this season.

Malzahn on the scoreboard: "It definitely caught our attention." Says it's important to get the players used to it.

@RyanABlack

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on the Monday scrimmage: "It was a real football today. The defense did a good job."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on receiver Ricardo Louis: "He's off to a great start. He's in a good spot."

@AUGoldMine

No offensive touchdowns and three turnovers today in Auburn scrimmage ...Gus Malzahn says offense got "whipped"

Auburn will scrimmage again Saturday

@bmarcello

A lot can be speculated either way from most of those comments, but really like Lawson turning beast mode on.

I second this.

The defense should be ahead of the offense. The offense will improve but I hope this is the first of many big steps forward for the D.

Ricardo Louis

Auburn receiver Ricardo Louis on defense winning Monday's scrimmage: "It's definitely different… They bring energy."

@AUGoldMine

Ricardo Louis on Jeremy Johnson: "He definitely is (as good as everyone is saying." Says he makes throws he has never seen a QB make

Louis on Duke's absence: "We just keep going. We don't skip a beat." Says they can't let distractions hold them back.

@AUBlog

Senior Ricardo Louis, stepping up with Duke Williams out: "That's my responsibility. Nobody has to tell me" to step up.

@bmarcello

I don't doubt the D is improved, but Gus would be crazy not to take every opportunity to overplay the progress (or downplay O as it may be).

Turnovers. Hmmm ... good to know that the defense was playing hard and forcing turnovers and covering them! But I really don't like hearing about Auburn having 3 offensive turnovers. Whatever, it sounds like CWM and his coaching staff have got the defense cranked.

"Unstoppable" Carl Lawson. That's what I want to hear! Except, uh, blocking?

Life is so conflicting :beat up:

And is a big pink screen a thing? Or did the picture change during the practice?

I don't know whether to be concerned with the offense, or really happy that the defense is this far along this early.

"Should we be concerned about the offense?"

"Gus."

Jeremy Johnson

JJ: The defense "just beat us today."

Johnson says today was about seeing how the four RBs did, but he's looking forward to Saturday's scrimmage and passing more

Jeremy Johnson: Ricardo "is going to be a big factor in the offense" -- not just deep plays, but as a possession receiver.

Johnson on last 3-4 days without Duke: "That's not my responsibility. I just leave that to him and coach. I believe in our other receivers."

Johnson echoes what Malzahn said: Carl Lawson "has been unblockable all fall camp. ... He's probably one of the best DEs in the country."

@AUBlog

Jeremy Johnson on RBs: "They all had a couple big runs." Lawyer Tillman had the lone fumble by an RB.

@bmarcello

Auburn QB Jeremy Johnson on Duke Williams' suspension: This hasn't been a distraction and we won't let it be a distraction.

@jzenor

Auburn starting QB Jeremy Johnson says backup Sean White has "an amazing arm. He's one of my best friends. We all feel good about Sean."

@AUGoldMine

Jonathan Jones

Says the DB hairstyle ain't gonna happen with him.

Jones feels like he's back to his normal self after his foot injury. "I'm back ready to go this year."

Jones: "Carl was great--the whole front, honestly, they dominated today. ... It started today with the front."

Jones on freshmen DBs: "They're eager to learn." Believes they're going to help out the secondary a lot this season.

@AUBlog

Auburn DB Jonathan Jones on Monday's work: "For a first scrimmage, you can't beat how physical we were."

@AUGoldMine

My biggest concern from the report are the turnovers, not that the defense spanked the O. The D needs all the confidence it can get. I look at it as a win-win. D gets confidence and O learns that they just can show up b/c there's a lot talent and expect to run over anybody. Getting a small reality check and making sure the focus is always there.

I'm so glad to hear that the DL brought the fight. And they apparently outplayed the OL. It shouldn't be a surprise, I guess, since it takes an OL time to gel. But we have not been used to the DL stopping much. That said, if all the RBs had some big gains, then there were some breakdowns. Still some things for the coaches to yell about. Don't want them getting a big head!

DaVonte Lambert

DaVonte Lambert up now. Said it's great to be back out there with the guys after his knee surgery. Says he got about 20 snaps today

@ITATJason

DaVonte Lambert up now. Said it's great to be back out there with the guys after his knee surgery. Says he got about 20 snaps today

Lambert said freshman DE Byron Cowart looked good today. "Freshmen, usually when they come in, they aren't as strong as him." Fast and quick

Lambert on goal moving forward: "All 11 did fly around today, but we all need to get in game shape."

@AUBlog

If only one turnover was by a RB, Lawyer Tillman, who wasn't even on my depth chart, that means the other two turnovers occurred in the passing game? Or special teams? And by the way, I think the reference must actually be to Lawyer Tillman Jr, because, well .....

Archived