2015 Preseason Practice - Day 8

RunInRed

OC Rhett Lashlee

Lashlee: "We're going to have good ideas (about RB)" but won't really know until the Louisville game, and maybe after

Lashlee: Jalen Harris is doing a really, really good job for a freshman. Still has a ways to go.

Is Melvin Ray taking advantage of opportunity with Duke out? Lashlee: "There's no question. ... When he gets opportunities, he produces."

Why does Lashlee believe offense can go even faster this season? "Because that's our expectation."

Lashlee on Austin Golson: "He's doing really well ... I feel really comfortable with Austin right now. Needs to continue getting reps."

Lashlee on Ricardo Louis: As long as he's bringing the approach that he's bringing to practice right now, I feel confident about Ricardo.

@AUBlog

Rhett Lashlee is here. Says Ricardo Louis, Melvin Ray, Darius Slayton and Myron Burton have been working at the X receiver the last week

Peyton Barber has done an "extremely nice job." Jovon Robinson coming along

@Tomas_Verde

He says WR Tony Stevens is "having a really good camp."

Lashlee on Stevens: "The last two days, he's made as many -- or more -- plays than any of our wideouts."

Lashlee on the RBs: "Roc has probably been the most consistent and steadiest" thus far

Lashlee on Kerryon Johnson: "He's had a minimal amount of mistakes" for a true freshman. Impressive job of retaining information.

Lashlee on comparing Kerryon Johnson to Darren McFadden: "There are some resemblances there and he's been really impressive early on."

@RyanABlack

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee says receiver Melvin Ray is "going to play a lot this year. He's a productive guy. He'll help us win a lot of games."

Rhett Lashlee on QB Jeremy Johnson: "He's been good on and off field. He's been very confident. He's been our leader"

CMPgkCEWEAAiIpS.jpg

@AUGoldMine

Lashlee says nobody they have is doing well against Carl Lawson on the other side "he's relentless"d

@ITATJason

Great to hear Tony Stevens getting some early mention as well making some good strides on improving his game.

Didn't recall hearing his name come up much at all during the spring.

Barber might sneak up and get some significant early playing time if Jovon doesn't get this offense down fast enough. Our running back stable is reminding me of the Ole 4 horsemen stable we had in 2003.

There's two sides to everything. I like hearing that Carl Lawson is running full motor and seems healthy. That's great for our defense. But I'm less pleased that nobody on the OL can step up and get in his way. Other teams have good DEs as well. Somebody needs to figure out how to block them. Of course, practicing against Lawson is the best way to learn -- if it doesn't get them so frustrated they lose confidence.

How's that for wanting to have my cake and eat it too?

Jason Smith

Auburn receiver Jason Smith on practice: "I'm just glad I'm around people who like to work hard."

@AUGoldMine

Jason Smith on Duke: "He's a great leader. We still look up to him no matter what goes on off or on the field."

@AUBlog

Jason Smith on Duke: "When he gets back, that's going to boost our confidence and our aggressiveness at receiver."

Jason Smith, who went to MGCCC with Duke Williams, says he talks to Duke. Duke doing "fine" during this time away from practice.

@bmarcello

Jonathan Wallace

Auburn's Jonathan Wallace says QB Jeremy Johnson is comfortable as starter. "He's embraced it so well. Everybody has great faith in him."

Auburn receiver Jonathan Wallace says "everybody is playing with great effort" in preseason camp.

@AUGoldMine

Jonathan Wallace has been spending most of his time at the split 9 receiver spot. Similar to C.J. Uzomah & Jaylon Denson.

@JamesCrepea

There's two sides to everything. I like hearing that Carl Lawson is running full motor and seems healthy. That's great for our defense. But I'm less pleased that nobody on the OL can step up and get in his way. Other teams have good DEs as well. Somebody needs to figure out how to block them. Of course, practicing against Lawson is the best way to learn -- if it doesn't get them so frustrated they lose confidence.

Other teams don't have Lawsons. Only team in our conference that has anyone comparable is OM and Tenn.

Other teams don't have Lawsons. Only team in our conference that has anyone comparable is OM and Tenn.

Scratch OM and make it aTm.

One on one, its kind of unfair to expect anyone on our offensive line to stop him. Probably not many guys in the NFL who could handle him 1 on 1 consistently, if any.

One on one, its kind of unfair to expect anyone on our offensive line to stop him. Probably not many guys in the NFL who could handle him 1 on 1 consistently, if any.

You dont think fully grown men could block a 19 year old kid? I love hearing that Lawson is wrecking it in practice but that type of praise is reserved for, like, JJ Watt IMO. Let's just wait to see it first in a game is all I'm saying.

You dont think fully grown men could block a 19 year old kid? I love hearing that Lawson is wrecking it in practice but that type of praise is reserved for, like, JJ Watt IMO. Let's just wait to see it first in a game is all I'm saying.

Always remember, Kool-Aid is best served in August.

Barber might sneak up and get some significant early playing time if Jovon doesn't get this offense down fast enough. Our running back stable is reminding me of the Ole 4 horsemen stable we had in 2003.

***Clears throat*** I sure hope so. Keep saying people are forgetting Barber way too much. I don't question Javon's talent but Barber has been in this system for two years. Either way like Rhett stated...we're not likely to have a feature back but i still see Roc starting.

Oline is just going to need time to gel. The more reps they get together the better. I'm honestly more concerned about the Oline than defense. No doubt there is very good talent on the Oline but those guys still have to gel.

Exactly. If I can't block him, no body can. But seriously, my comment about the NFL was probably overzealous, but my point is that there is an inherent mismatch between defensive ends and linemen. Just like at receiver. There aren't many defensive backs who can stop Julio Jones one on one consistently, as an example. Most of those guys are in the NFL and there aren't many.

I'm definitely making Carl bigger and badder than he might be, but there just aren't too many elite tackles out there, just like there aren't many elite CBs. The "if any" qualifier was too much, I agree, but at least in the college game I think we could consider Carl to be elite based on what we already know and what we are hearing. And, for a linemen to be able to block elite players consistently, those guys are extremely rare, more rare than elite DEs IMO. So, what I'm saying is that it would take someone even more talented at the tackle position than Carl is at DE to block him consistently. I don't think we have anyone like that.

Watt is in a class all by himself. I don't think anyone on the planet can block him.

Cowart and Lawson will be the deadliest DE combination in the SEC and beyond. This will be fun to watch unfold in the early part of the season. The red-headed *****wood bird will go home minus 95% of its feathers.

This is funny.

Exactly. If I can't block him, no body can. But seriously, my comment about the NFL was probably overzealous, but my point is that there is an inherent mismatch between defensive ends and linemen. Just like at receiver. There aren't many defensive backs who can stop Julio Jones one on one consistently, as an example. Most of those guys are in the NFL and there aren't many.

I'm definitely making Carl bigger and badder than he might be, but there just aren't too many elite tackles out there, just like there aren't many elite CBs. The "if any" qualifier was too much, I agree, but at least in the college game I think we could consider Carl to be elite based on what we already know and what we are hearing. And, for a linemen to be able to block elite players consistently, those guys are extremely rare, more rare than elite DEs IMO. So, what I'm saying is that it would take someone even more talented at the tackle position than Carl is at DE to block him consistently. I don't think we have anyone like that.

Watt is in a class all by himself. I don't think anyone on the planet can block him.

Yeah, it kinda overreached a tad on the NFL so, a little sauce for the ribbing.

True enough, Lawson is an elite talent. That reckless abandon he brings turned heads as a freshman. A year plus older, healthier and healed hopefully he can refine his technique in conjunction with that reckless abandon. I remember Garner was emphasizing that to him in '13. More will be asked of him this season in this new role in Muschamp's system.

So while I agree that Carl is elite at the semi-pro level, he is not yet a polished product for NFL comparison. At least another full season under his belt to have a decent body-of-work measurement.

And A&M, more than likely south c and Missouri from how they're talking, Georgia but yeah basically nobody....

Archived