2015 Preseason Practice - Day 8

RunInRed

Barber might sneak up and get some significant early playing time if Jovon doesn't get this offense down fast enough. Our running back stable is reminding me of the Ole 4 horsemen stable we had in 2003.

***Clears throat*** I sure hope so. Keep saying people are forgetting Barber way too much. I don't question Javon's talent but Barber has been in this system for two years. Either way like Rhett stated...we're not likely to have a feature back but i still see Roc starting.

Exactly.. I think its a battle between Barber and Robinson for the #2 spot. I'm hoping we see some two back sets like we did with Grant and CAP. Those wheel routes can be deadly if your running backs have decent hands.

Every year we hear Gus and Rhett say we will go faster, yet it doesn't seem like we ever move as fast as they claim we will. We seem to move a pace that is just ever so slightly faster than most teams. We seem to come to the line and stand around looking at the sideline and snap the ball with 8 to 10 seconds on the game clock most plays. I wouldn't classify our play the last couple years as fast, more like ramped up. Anybody else believe we play fast? I look at the Oregons and some of the other "fast" teams, and we are way behind their speed of play.

I think a good coach will apply 'fast' when it makes sense. Usually, we increase the pace after we get our first 1st down. Obviously, there are situations where going faster can be detrimental to your team.

I think NM's limitations in the passing game (entire areas of the field being off limits for him to throw/decision making) caused Gus to make sure the offense was in the exact right call before snapping the ball. We could potentially see the O go faster this year due to the playbook being a bit more open this year. Just my opinion.

Every year we hear Gus and Rhett say we will go faster, yet it doesn't seem like we ever move as fast as they claim we will. We seem to move a pace that is just ever so slightly faster than most teams. We seem to come to the line and stand around looking at the sideline and snap the ball with 8 to 10 seconds on the game clock most plays. I wouldn't classify our play the last couple years as fast, more like ramped up. Anybody else believe we play fast? I look at the Oregons and some of the other "fast" teams, and we are way behind their speed of play.

I agree that we don't usually play as fast as advertised. "Auburn Fast"? Uhhh...

Does it bother me? Nope.

To me our fast play is do to the down and distance. If we get first downs then our play is fast. If we dont get first downs then its not.

To me our fast play is do to the down abd distance. If we get first downs then our play is fast. If we dont get first downs then its more amped up.

Yep, that's exactly how it works. I don't think that's the only factor- maybe at times Gus realized he could run for first downs at will and therefore the best thing was to keep the ball for a 9 minute drive and leave our terrible defense on the sideline- but you're right, you have to get first downs to run the HUNH. That's why I don't buy the notion that a HUNH and a good defense can't coexist. 1) 3-and-outs put the defense back on the field too soon, not fast first downs and scores, and 2) a lead is a defense's best friend. I suppose it might lower us ever so slightly statistically... but if having a defense that's "really, really good" instead of "dominant" is the difference between hardware or no hardware, then it's not the fact that we're running a HUNH that's the problem. It's the fact that we're not running it correctly. Which might've been au81bs's point all along.

Sincerely,

Mr. Overly Opinionated

Cowart and Lawson will be the deadliest DE combination in the SEC and beyond. This will be fun to watch unfold in the early part of the season. The red-headed *****wood bird will go home minus 95% of its feathers.

Doc getting fired up for Louisville.

I think NM's limitations in the passing game (entire areas of the field being off limits for him to throw/decision making) caused Gus to make sure the offense was in the exact right call before snapping the ball. We could potentially see the O go faster this year due to the playbook being a bit more open this year. Just my opinion.

I think you are right on....I think the offense was "somewhat" hamstrung by NMs limited passing ability, thus the issues at times. RARELY, did you see NM throw crossing routes, or out routes, or curls, and I don't think a lot of reads, except in the read-option.

I have just had the feeling that with JJ, CGM and Lashlee are going to be able to REALLY and TRULY open up the playbook for JJ. He can make ANY throw on the field. If he can handle the pressure and stay as consistent as what we've seen in his limited playing time, we will see the best offense in the country and one of, if not the best in the past decade potentially. I can't wait for football to start to see how this plays out!!!

If I'm not mistaken, she is Jonathan Wallace's girlfriend. Former AU soccer player.

I hear ya, JWall.

Didn't watch video, but Ashley Kotero is his GF and yes former soccer player for AU and youth Mexico national team. Is that who is doing the interview?

If I'm not mistaken, she is Jonathan Wallace's girlfriend. Former AU soccer player.

I hear ya, JWall.

Didn't watch video, but Ashley Kotero is his GF and yes former soccer player for AU and youth Mexico national team. Is that who is doing the interview?

Yup.

I hear ya, JWall.

Yup.

Learn something new everyday.

As said previously, nice catch

Cowart and Lawson will be the deadliest DE combination in the SEC and beyond. This will be fun to watch unfold in the early part of the season. The red-headed *****wood bird will go home minus 95% of its feathers.

This sounds like the old Leonard's Losers. I miss them during the season.

Archived