8 30 15 Practice Notes

RunInRed

Will Muschamp

Muschamp, when asked who his starting LBs would be today: Those decisions will be made later in the week.

Muschamp: All four inside linebackers will play against Louisville.

Muschamp on Lawson: He's not just a really good pass rusher. ... His most gifted talent is his work ethic

Cowart a situational pass-rusher? CWM: "Byron's going to play. Doesn't matter if it's 1st down, 2nd down or 3rd down. He's gonna play a lot"

@AUBlog

Muschamp: Cowart, Jeff Holland, Carlton Davis, Jeremiah Dinson, Montavious Atkinson among freshmen that will play.

"It's not about elaborate plays, it's about execution of the plays they do have."

Muschamp: Petrino's offense "attacks you in the same route concepts a lot of different ways".

Will: Carl Lawson really enjoys the game of football. "He's always up in our office watching film."

@_sam_butler

Rudy Ford

Ford on mentality now: It was intense. We're ready for game week.

Ford: "Me and (Tray Matthews), we need to stay together more than anybody." Emphasized importance of the two safeties being on same page

Rudy Ford outchea talking about the "eye candy" Louisville likes to throw around pre-snap

@AUBlog

Auburn DB Rudy Ford on defensive coordinator Will Muschamp: "He wants the best out of us… and that's what we're going to give him."

@AUGoldMine

Rudy: Carlton Davis and Jeremiah Dinson stand out in the secondary as far as freshmen go.

On Muschamp's intensity: If you don't give effort, "you'll hear about it from him"

Rudy: Blake Countess has been doing "great things" in practice. "He's been there at the college level"

Rudy: The key to winning is "when we all play together"

@_sam_butler

Ford on Louisville: "They have a couple different formational sets." Says he'll need to make the right calls before the snap.

Ford says Louisville's "eye candy" in their pre-snap motions is what impresses him about Louisville's offense.

@matthewcstevens

Montravius Adams

Adams: "It's been a long preseason. It feels like we've been practicing for a year."

Adams on Byron Cowart: "I think he's ready to play." ... Has been particularly impressed w/ Cowart's physique and get-off on the ball.

Adams: "We've been watching like four different QBs. We've got it all set up with what they're good at and what we're watching out for."

@AUBlog

I asked Adams about the Auburn d-lineman wearing single-digit numbers: "It was a long process.....just something different." Okay then...

@matthewcstevens

Marcus Davis

Davis: "I think we're really ready. I felt the urgency."

Davis: "I think the timing (with Jeremy Johnson) is pretty good. ... I feel like we're at a good stage right now and everyone is clicking"

Marcus Davis says coaches told him he will be taking the first punt return of the season.

Davis clarifies: He won't only get the first punt return -- but he'll be the starter.

@AUBlog

Only saw a snippet of practice today (maybe 10

Mins), Mostly formations and schemes. Saw a few things from the defense in term of presnap movement.

I should mention this since it's the only thing I can really attest to: the team looks healthier this year pre-season with one week to go than I can remember. While I would like to credit our medical team and trainers (they deserve some love) I think the strength and conditioning program is absolutely the main reason we were able to go so physical for practices but still have stamina and healthy knees and ankles at this point.

Besides some bruises everybody seems to have their legs under them ready to go for Saturday. The team looks hungry but ready to be tested.

Likely to play this year:

Kerryon Johnson

Chandler Cox

Jalen Harris

Byron Cowart

Jeff Holland

Darrell Williams

Jeremiah Dinson

Carlton Davis

Javaris Davis

Tim Irvin

Montravius Atkinson

Unsure:

Mike Horton

Darius Slayton

Ryan Davis

Ian Shannon

Likely to redshirt this year:

Tyler Queen

Tyler Carr

Bailey Sharp

Kaleb Kim

Marquel Harrell

Jaunta'vius Johnson

Prince Tega Wanogho

Richard McBryde

Jamel Dean (transfer)

Jordan Colbert

I think we will be amazed when we see our defense on the field do things that we have not seen done in many seasons. I am talking about a defense that has something to prove, and is ready to take it to the next level. They will be a fun group to watch, and will be intent on making Louisville wish they had never scheduled us.

I think CWM and his staff will keep Petrino and his minions in check. This is not wishful thinking, but the reality of fielding a defense that can contain any team on our schedule.

I think our offense will play at a level that dwarfs what we saw in 2014. We have the talent and coaching to be the best team in the SEC and the nation. As I said, this is not a pipe dream, but the reality of having one of the fiercest teams in the country that will make life miserable for all foes that dare cross our path.

Kerryon Johnson

Chandler Cox

Jalen Harris

Byron Cowart

Jeff Holland

Darrell Williams

Jeremiah Dinson

Carlton Davis

Javaris Davis

Tim Irvin

Montravius Atkinson

Unsure:

Mike Horton

Darius Slayton

Ryan Davis

Ian Shannon

Tyler Queen

Tyler Carr

Bailey Sharp

Kaleb Kim

Marquel Harrell

Jaunta'vius Johnson

Prince Tega Wanogho

Richard McBryde

Jamel Dean (transfer)

Jordan Colbert

jauntavius Johnson surprises me. I figured d tackles would have to go.

Kerryon Johnson

Chandler Cox

Jalen Harris

Byron Cowart

Jeff Holland

Darrell Williams

Jeremiah Dinson

Carlton Davis

Javaris Davis

Tim Irvin

Montravius Atkinson

Unsure:

Mike Horton

Darius Slayton

Ryan Davis

Ian Shannon

Tyler Queen

Tyler Carr

Bailey Sharp

Kaleb Kim

Marquel Harrell

Jaunta'vius Johnson

Prince Tega Wanogho

Richard McBryde

Jamel Dean (transfer)

Jordan Colbert

He had an ACL injury during his HS senior season. They just moved Andrew Williams from outside to inside (5th DT).

I'm surprised Colbert didn't make an impact at safety

I'm surprised Muschamp didn't mention his name. Agreed with you tho.

Kerryon Johnson

Chandler Cox

Jalen Harris

Byron Cowart

Jeff Holland

Darrell Williams

Jeremiah Dinson

Carlton Davis

Javaris Davis

Tim Irvin

Montravius Atkinson

Unsure:

Mike Horton

Darius Slayton

Ryan Davis

Ian Shannon

Tyler Queen

Tyler Carr

Bailey Sharp

Kaleb Kim

Marquel Harrell

Jaunta'vius Johnson

Prince Tega Wanogho

Richard McBryde

Jamel Dean (transfer)

Jordan Colbert

He had an ACL injury during his HS senior season. They just moved Andrew Williams from outside to inside (5th DT).

ah

Muschamp is years wiser than even the fine DC we enjoyed way back when and it will be interesting IMO to see his product this go around. Reputation for crafting astute schemes on D for the opponent du jour and firing up young guys, his first AU stint nevertheless wasn't exactly known for textbook fundamentals like tackling. His schtick was get the sack, get the interception or risk giving up the big play. His UF defenses notably were good at blowing up plays in the backfield and covering receivers, is that why open field tackling rarely seemed a topic @ UF or is he more of a tackling stickler these days? Understanding his current player pool were not all recruited by Will, it will in any event be interesting to see what the second coming looks like.

btw, somebody get a sign in front of BSPN that says "Where there's a Will there's a way."

Glad to see all those big guys red shirting. It's fun to see some frosh playing but IMO it's always a plus for a player to red shirt if he can. We've seen lots of "before" and "after" pix of kids after their first year of weight training and dietary controls.

The improvements are huge and has them more ready to compete against the juniors and seniors on opposing teams.

Glad to see all those big guys red shirting. It's fun to see some frosh playing but IMO it's always a plus for a player to red shirt if he can. We've seen lots of "before" and "after" pix of kids after their first year of weight training and dietary controls.

The improvements are huge and has them more ready to compete against the juniors and seniors on opposing teams.

Same thought here. I also love what it says about our current depth at one of our most important position groups.

I just want to see this defense, particularly the secondary, tackling like an Auburn defense is supposed to tackle. Stick it to him, wrap up and put his butt on the ground! Hard!

Are we sure on Javaris Davis? I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere this pre-season. Carlton Davis and Jeremiah Dinson are mentioned almost every time by Muschamp or a player (when asked). I'm not saying anyone's wrong. I just don't really expect to see much of him (possibly on special teams).

Also, any indication of which freshmen are going to be on the coverage units? A number of guys have used a redshirt year on special teams alone, and it's not a waste. I kind of wonder whether we'll see guys like McBryde or J. Davis or Colbert on special teams.

Glad the team is eager to play. That's where you want them. It'll be great to see where we are on Saturday, but there's nothing make-or-break about the game. tOSU lost on September 6 last year to a below average team; worked out okay for them. The goal for an opener isn't to look pretty. It's to get a win, no matter how ugly. It's always great to watch the guys and see some hard work in action though.

Re: J. Davis, here ya go, courtesy of britt.

And this game might not be make-or-break, but a loss sure would be a big blow to the confidence of a lot of relatively inexperienced guys. I agree that a win need not be pretty, though. I'm sure not holding my breath for that.

Re: J. Davis, here ya go, courtesy of britt.

And this game might not be make-or-break, but a loss sure would be a big blow to the confidence of a lot of relatively inexperienced guys. I agree that a win need not be pretty, though. I'm sure not holding my breath for that.

Things just fell right for tOSU last year....and I don't think AU or any of the top teams can survive an early season upset.....no matter that there are 12 more games to play. A loss like that will probably be the tie breaker.....and as for tOSU, if the Big 12 had not screwed up their "championship" tOSU would have been left out in the cold.

It's always something. The champ has been undefeated in only four times in the last ten years, and both participants in the national title game have been undefeated only three times (2005 Texas/USC, 2009 Bama/Texas, and 2010 Auburn/Oregon). As you would expect, only one undefeated team entered the CFP last season (FSU).

In other words, more likely than not, at least three teams in the playoff will have survived an upset during the season (early, middle, or late). Given that reality, there's nothing make-or-break about any particular game.

It's always something. The champ has been undefeated in only four times in the last ten years, and both participants in the national title game have been undefeated only three times (2005 Texas/USC, 2009 Bama/Texas, and 2010 Auburn/Oregon). As you would expect, only one undefeated team entered the CFP last season (FSU).

In other words, more likely than not, at least three teams in the playoff will have survived an upset during the season (early, middle, or late). Given that reality, there's nothing make-or-break about any particular game.

This was actually one of the strongest arguments against the playoff, IMO. The thing that distinguished CFB from the NFL (and most every other sport) was that so much was riding on each and every game.

I'm still holding out hope that the playoff won't diminish the importance of all the individual games too much. But we'll see. Arguably, an 8-team playoff would be even worse from this perspective.

Archived