***Auburn vs. San Jose State - Post Game Thread***

alexava

I'm generally not one to complain about a win but this team has a lot of improving to do if we are going to be competitive the rest of the way. Problems all over on both sides of the ball.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People keep bringing up Chris Todd. Our offense looked a lot better when he was QB. Biggest reasons: offensive line and play calling seemed much better.

Plus it seemed like Ben Tate would break one for a TD at any moment.

Jason Smith needs to be starting at QB. All we need him to do is be an average thrower. This offense doesn't work unless the defense respects our QBs running the ball off the zone read. Period.

I don't recall Chris Tods being a runner

The Chris Todd argument is null and void. He had Darvin Adams, T-Zach and other WR's that could catch the clutch-throws. They ran crisp routes, got seperation on long passes, and blocked downfield like a SOB. The 2015 Tigers do not have this. Duke has taken himself from a 1st round pick to 3-4 round, IMHO. He refuses to block downfield, he runs crappy routes, and just seems genuinely disinterested in doing anything for the team. I'm sure he's frustrated with his targets, but that is on Gus. We have shifted to a very bland, slow, non-creative offense, and teams are going to start loading 9 in the box and forcing us to throw. SW, who should have gotten a lot of passes to increase his confidence in this game, was held back again. Why???? I wish I knew.

Oh well, we've gone 0-8 in the SEC before, so I guess it won't sting so much this time....

We took one shot downfield?

It was probably the safeties in the middle of the field that prevented the long pass. Oh, wait, that was last week's excuse.

There is SOMETHING going on behind the scenes. There has to be. Gus will survive this year, but if we need a new coach in the not-too-distant future, we absolutely cannot "keep it in the family," as JJ so loves to do.

Jason Smith needs to be starting at QB. All we need him to do is be an average thrower. This offense doesn't work unless the defense respects our QBs running the ball off the zone read. Period.

He was a respected QB?

Poorly coached and poorly prepared. Receivers not running routes and trotting through plays. Nobody to catch a pass.

Who's that on, DC?

I feel like SW could be a decent runner for us, but Gus is too afraid to let him do it, knowing that if he gets hurt, we'll have to go back to JJ!! Gus has lost his nerve, and if he's not careful, it could eventually lose him his job. I'm not saying to fire him, but with coaching salaries what they are, you only get one, maybe two, seasons like this one. Our offensive production is shite. I'm watching the Ole Miss v. UF game, and UF looks light years ahead of us on offense.

As for Jason Smith being QB, I'm not sure if that is the answer, but at least let him run a few wildcat series, and let him mix up the run and the pass to see how it goes! Letting KJ do the wildcat, we are just broadcasting to the defense that we are going to run it. I feel like our play book only has 1 page.....er

You don't need to watch UF to see an offense that looks better. In fact, you'd need to cruise high schools to see something comparable to what CGM is doing at AU.

Well...I'm going to try and be as positive as possible. I have very little faith in gutless, nutless Gus at the point. Our line backers look as lost as ever. Sean White did great, but he was basically a game manager so...Arkansas will get at least one SEC win this year. Peyton Barber is basically the second coming of Tre Mason. Guy knew what he was talking about. All in all, our offensive line consistently takes a full half to get warmed up and our d-line looks like it would get pushed around by Girl Scouts. That and no one can shed blocks, though there did seem to be some improvement in that area. I feel like I'm used to us sucking at this point. Basically, I feel like a Vanderbilt fan. WDE

You should go be one for a while and see what that is like. I am going to choose to wait to lose faith in "gutless, nutless Gus" until the season has played out. Of course I wanted him to go for it but assuming Carlson makes a chip shot field goal the game would have been over. I think it might be less gutless to make decisions based on what the peanut gallery wants. He is trying to win games. Not an ideal situation but if they can get the W against Kentucky we could still salvage a decent season. Let's see what he comes up with over the bye. WDE

No kidding. Care to remember the UK game of 2009?

He was a respected QB?

Gus got the most he could out of Chris that year. Credit to him. But how many games did we win that year?? 8?? Is that the bar? This offense is most effective with a QB who can hurt you with his legs. PERIOD.

But the offense was very effective with him....I don't have answers, but what I see is a team with a new DC, new QB, New RB, New Center, and a lot of youth at key positions. The expectation of the talking heads has a lot of fans more upset than need be. I stated in pre season the team was ranked too high - and was maybe a year away of those lofty expectations. They just got to keep grinding and take it one game at a time and continue to learn to play as a team. Watching a team grow up can be an ugly sight and tough for fans to swallow...hang in there

Poorly coached and poorly prepared. Receivers not running routes and trotting through plays. Nobody to catch a pass.

What is that now, 4 weeks out 5, Gus had his team unprepared?

I was just discussing this with my brother. What exactly is the problem? I refuse to believe that Gus and the rest of the staff just suck and do not know how to coach. When each of these coaches were hired there was a lot of excitement and praise. I also refuse to believe that we recruited in the top 5-8 in the country the past 5-6 years and we only recruited the guys that do not pan out.

Having said that, I do not know what the missing link is. But I have made 2 observations.

1. It is not just that the QB position is weak, the coaches (whoever is play calling) shows no confidence in either QB. This is obvious by the play calling. If there was a game for SW to get some work I think today was it. He had 10 passes today? Until there is some opportunity/confidence in the most important position on the field the offense will do no better than what you have seen so far.

2. We look slow. Period. What was all this #Auburnfast stuff?

I feel like SW could be a decent runner for us, but Gus is too afraid to let him do it, knowing that if he gets hurt, we'll have to go back to JJ!! Gus has lost his nerve, and if he's not careful, it could eventually lose him his job. I'm not saying to fire him, but with coaching salaries what they are, you only get one, maybe two, seasons like this one. Our offensive production is shite. I'm watching the Ole Miss v. UF game, and UF looks light years ahead of us on offense.

As for Jason Smith being QB, I'm not sure if that is the answer, but at least let him run a few wildcat series, and let him mix up the run and the pass to see how it goes! Letting KJ do the wildcat, we are just broadcasting to the defense that we are going to run it. I feel like our play book only has 1 page.....er

You don't need to watch UF to see an offense that looks better. In fact, you'd need to cruise high schools to see something comparable to what CGM is doing at AU.

I agree. I merely was using UF as a team that was "down and out" last season, and to see the improvement they have made vs. the crap we're putting on the field.

The Chris Todd argument is null and void. He had Darvin Adams, T-Zach and other WR's that could catch the clutch-throws. They ran crisp routes, got seperation on long passes, and blocked downfield like a SOB. The 2015 Tigers do not have this. Duke has taken himself from a 1st round pick to 3-4 round, IMHO. He refuses to block downfield, he runs crappy routes, and just seems genuinely disinterested in doing anything for the team. I'm sure he's frustrated with his targets, but that is on Gus. We have shifted to a very bland, slow, non-creative offense, and teams are going to start loading 9 in the box and forcing us to throw. SW, who should have gotten a lot of passes to increase his confidence in this game, was held back again. Why???? I wish I knew.

Oh well, we've gone 0-8 in the SEC before, so I guess it won't sting so much this time....

Yeah...the Todd and Tulsa arguments are getting beyond tiresome. I can't think of a team that wouldn't benefit from a true DT quarterback. Having another running threat for opposing defenses to worry about is obviously the best solution. Having said that, what Gus really needs is not one type of quarterback over another, but a solid, mean o-line that doesn't get beat. If he has that, it really doesn't matter whether he has a pocket passer or DT guy. DT would raise our offense to 2013-14 levels, but with our o-line I don't know how much it would help

Well...I'm going to try and be as positive as possible. I have very little faith in gutless, nutless Gus at the point. Our line backers look as lost as ever. Sean White did great, but he was basically a game manager so...Arkansas will get at least one SEC win this year. Peyton Barber is basically the second coming of Tre Mason. Guy knew what he was talking about. All in all, our offensive line consistently takes a full half to get warmed up and our d-line looks like it would get pushed around by Girl Scouts. That and no one can shed blocks, though there did seem to be some improvement in that area. I feel like I'm used to us sucking at this point. Basically, I feel like a Vanderbilt fan. WDE

You should go be one for a while and see what that is like. I am going to choose to wait to lose faith in "gutless, nutless Gus" until the season has played out. Of course I wanted him to go for it but assuming Carlson makes a chip shot field goal the game would have been over. I think it might be less gutless to make decisions based on what the peanut gallery wants. He is trying to win games. Not an ideal situation but if they can get the W against Kentucky we could still salvage a decent season. Let's see what he comes up with over the bye. WDE

Today, not sure we could Kentucky or Arky, that is a big problem (0-8, SEC).

Gus got the most he could out of Chris that year. Credit to him. But how many games did we win that year?? 8?? Is that the bar? This offense is most effective with a QB who can hurt you with his legs. PERIOD.

Maybe the offensive scheme needs to be changed then. Surely Gus understands that he has to design his offensive to the ability of his players?

Yeah, except I cannot fathom a reason to not go for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like common sense to me to go for it.

Archived