I'm not trying to bring up bad memories, but...

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

A&M... The phantom turnover at the goal line was a moral breaker.  Every replay showed that CAP had the ball.

Ah.  That goes back to my original statement about Texas A&M being a smiting by the football lords.  The zebras are often their preferred instrument of terror.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Overall, I just think the football lords had decided before the game that Auburn was not to win the 2014 Miss St or TAMU games no matter what we did

After 2013, we might have had it coming. Yin Yang 

9 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

The highly unlikely combo of events that lost us the 2013 title game trumps (sorry) any other AU head shaker IMO.

I blame that completely on Gus and his management against both the fake punt and the usual 3rd quarter collapses we had. That game shouldn't have been close

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

Very true.

Overall, I just think the football lords had decided before the game that Auburn was not to win the 2014 Miss St or TAMU games no matter what we did

A&M I def agree with. Two uncharacteristic fundamental turnovers on consecutive drives to end the game.

That loss hurt as bad as any loss I've ever watched because of how we lost it. I wouldn't have taken it as bad had we failed on 4th Down instead. But everyone, including A&M, knew we were going to score both times.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

A&M... The phantom turnover at the goal line was a moral breaker.  Every replay showed that CAP had the ball.

MSU via our pal, Tom Ritter, was much worse...

6 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I don't know the language restrictions on this board, so I'll just say, Auburn pretty much played against the refs and Miss State that game. they basically had 2 game changing plays go against them, that shouldn't have been called point blank period. I never thought Miss State was a better team, I think our first two offensive plays were horrible, but I think we should've came back and won.

12 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

The holding call was legit... he had his arm wrapped around his helmet, but those two pass interference calls were total BS.  Agreed.

On July 21, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Tiger said:

This was the difference. Even with the terrible turnovers down the stretch, had we even just missed the FG wide left or wide right would've helped us tremendously.

My current prediction for this year's game is for Daniel to hit a 50-yarder as time expires, 30-27.

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

As Auburn's head coach, Malzahn is 1-2 against LSU. 1-2, against Georgia. 1-2 against Alabama.

seems he's almost perfectly mirrored Gene's 3 years post 2009, I say almost because he got a few ball flips, or it really could've been the exact same.

On 7/22/2016 at 8:50 AM, lionheartkc said:

The holding call was legit... he had his arm wrapped around his helmet, but those two pass interference calls were total BS.  Agreed.

Disagreed. You cannot definitively tell if his left hand was holding the defender's helmet. The crap that is let go every single game in the SEC (do I need to post the 20+ pics of the IB?) but THAT is holding?

It's freaking Tom "Unsportsmanlike Conduct on #90" Ritter.

3 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Disagreed. You cannot definitively tell if his left hand was holding the defender's helmet. The crap that is let go every single game in the SEC (do I need to post the 20+ pics of the IB?) but THAT is holding?

I will say I've seen Alabama block like that several times. I believe it to be holding, but I think it should be holding universally

the play you linked makes me believe hes completely biased against the program

You can all blame me for the Texas A&M loss in 2014. I took my girlfriend to that game with a ring tucked away in my jacket with plans to propose at Toomer's Corner after the win. We were favored by over three touchdowns, A&M came in looking bad, everyone still believed in Auburn, and Gus was undefeated at home up to that point. I assumed we would win so of course it was a heartbreaking loss and I postponed the proposal til the next day when we were back home.

14 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

While you are totally correct that other teams get away with worse, the fact that he had is arm and hand up helmet level, grabbing it or not, was just asking for a flag.  I'm not going to blame Ritter for that one.  The other two are totally on him.

5 hours ago, AUtigers2324 said:

You can all blame me for the Texas A&M loss in 2014. I took my girlfriend to that game with a ring tucked away in my jacket with plans to propose at Toomer's Corner after the win. We were favored by over three touchdowns, A&M came in looking bad, everyone still believed in Auburn, and Gus was undefeated at home up to that point. I assumed we would win so of course it was a heartbreaking loss and I postponed the proposal til the next day when we were back home.

...and I thought that game was miserable for me. LOL

I was just watching some clips from our offense against LSU's D in last year's game.  We weren't going to win that game with the way our D played, but I had forgotten about several egregious no-calls on LSU's D blatantly jumping off sides at the snap. It wasn't even close. Ref's just swallowed the whistle.

43 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I was just watching some clips from our offense against LSU's D in last year's game.  We weren't going to win that game with the way our D played, but I had forgotten about several egregious no-calls on LSU's D blatantly jumping off sides at the snap. It wasn't even close. Ref's just swallowed the whistle.

Yeah Auburn seems to play against the refs more often than not 

On 7/24/2016 at 1:35 PM, lionheartkc said:

While you are totally correct that other teams get away with worse, the fact that he had is arm and hand up helmet level, grabbing it or not, was just asking for a flag.  I'm not going to blame Ritter for that one.  The other two are totally on him.

May have been "asking" for a flag, but again, no way you can definitively tell Coleman is grabbing anything. That call IS on Ritter since the white hat is responsible for calling holding.

The other two calls were PI, which are not the white hat's responsibility.

In case anyone wonders why there were zero holding calls in the 2015 IB despite 20+ pictures of proof...yup, you guessed it...Tom Freaking Ritter...

http://d22r54gnmuhwmk.cloudfront.net/photos/2/ih/hc/hNIhhcDdsKGtvSB-1600x900-noPad.jpg?1449029268

http://www.referee.com/five-minutes-with-tom-ritter/

RITTER: You know it’s managing the holding that we see play in play out, and trying to gauge the impact that that hold has on a play and whether or not it’s worthy of a foul.

Really? The impact of the play determines a hold or not. Where is THAT in the rule book???

The guy literally admitted he's incompetent.

i kinda looked like a possible hold to me but almost too late to call. or it didnt help the guy was already blocked out of the play when the infraction happened. if bammer did it i would call it a hold. i watched the 2013 iron bown replay yesterday. haven't seen it in a while. i had forgot about the 4th and 1 we missed in the 4rth qtr.

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

i watched the 2013 iron bown replay yesterday. haven't seen it in a while. i had forgot about the 4th and 1 we missed in the 4th qtr.

One of the rare failed blocks by Prosch. He had Hubbard blocked, then let his foot off the gas.

The 3rd & 19 overthrow bomb to Louis with 4:48 left was the real miss. Not certain Louis would have scored, but would have been a monster play.

4 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

May have been "asking" for a flag, but again, no way you can definitively tell Coleman is grabbing anything. That call IS on Ritter since the white hat is responsible for calling holding.  Actually he's not any more responsible for holding than any other official on the field.  In fact, the vast majority of the time its NOT his responsibility, particularly when the QB drops back to pass.  His responsibility is the QB.   The white hat reads the tackle at the start of the play to gauge whether its run or pass, once that is determined his focus is on the QB.  He's got to be prepared to rule on whether a pass is backwards or forwards if its close.  Once the QB goes basically passed the line of scrimmage he cleans up action behind the QB (or ball carrier).    He can certain call holding but he's not solely responsible for it.  In fact, with the addition of the 8th official, he has to worry about it even less.  You've got 2 officials that their sole responsibility is the line of scrimmage where they are watching for illegal blocks, holds, facemasks, etc. 

The other two calls were PI, which are not the white hat's responsibility.

In case anyone wonders why there were zero holding calls in the 2015 IB despite 20+ pictures of proof...yup, you guessed it...Tom Freaking Ritter...   Conspiracy theories aside, the white hat doesn't tell other crew members what to call and what not to call.   That's not how officiating works.

http://d22r54gnmuhwmk.cloudfront.net/photos/2/ih/hc/hNIhhcDdsKGtvSB-1600x900-noPad.jpg?1449029268

http://www.referee.com/five-minutes-with-tom-ritter/

RITTER: You know it’s managing the holding that we see play in play out, and trying to gauge the impact that that hold has on a play and whether or not it’s worthy of a foul.

Really? The impact of the play determines a hold or not. Where is THAT in the rule book???

The guy literally admitted he's incompetent.   Not in the least.  What he actually said is a concept called advantage/disadvantage.  I know there are a lot of fans that want things called by the "letter of the law" (usually when its directed to the opponent), but doing so is detrimental to the game.  It's an old saying the best officials are the ones you don't notice.  If they flagged things according to the letter of the law (rule book) nobody would be happy.  What he's talking about is how did that hold by #68 on the left side of the line, impact the play that went off right tackle?  Answer, it didn't.  "Step in and tell him, I saw you holding him, keep your hands open"  Conversely a hold occurs on #73 and the ball carrier goes right by him...Well, that impacted the play and is an easy call to make and enforce.    All these conspiracy theories simply don't exist in reality.

THANK YOU War Tiger!

The notion that refs hate Auburn and willingly do everything in their power to thwart on-the-field success for AU is just ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, keesler said:

THANK YOU War Tiger!

The notion that refs hate Auburn and willingly do everything in their power to thwart on-the-field success for AU is just ridiculous.

Amen!!

wde

On 7/23/2016 at 1:01 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

seems he's almost perfectly mirrored Gene's 3 years post 2009, I say almost because he got a few ball flips, or it really could've been the exact same.

1-2 vs Miss State is the one that bothers me. 

Archived