Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The thought occurred to me that Phish might be playing 13 straight nights at MSG, but then I thought "......naaahhhhhh."

I had to google it. 

http://www.thegarden.com/events/2017/july/phish.html

I have no idea how anyone, the band or otherwise can sustain something like that. If I had to choose, I'd probably try and catch the shows in between 1 and 5. 

Yeah. When they call it a "residency", you might want to ask yourself if you *really* need to see *all* of them.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. When they call it a "residency", you might want to ask yourself if you *really* need to see *all* of them.

In between 2005 and 2007 I saw a lot of Sound Tribe Sector 9 shows. In Spring, 2007 they did 5 nights in a row in Boulder, CO. I planned a ski trip around them and came into Boulder for only one of the shows. I had seen them 3 nights in a row over New Years in 2006, and decided I wouldn't ever want to do more than 2 again. The prospect of 5 nights, even as a 21 year old was just too much. 13 is unfathomable to me - financially, physically...mentally. I don't think there is a band on this planet that I wouldn't get tired of seeing after half as many nights. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

In between 2005 and 2007 I saw a lot of Sound Tribe Sector 9 shows. In Spring, 2007 they did 5 nights in a row in Boulder, CO. I planned a ski trip around them and came into Boulder for only one of the shows. I had seen them 3 nights in a row over New Years in 2006, and decided I wouldn't ever want to do more than 2 again. The prospect of 5 nights, even as a 21 year old was just too much. 13 is unfathomable to me - financially, physically...mentally. I don't think there is a band on this planet that I wouldn't get tired of seeing after half as many nights. 

MAYBE if I were independently wealthy and lived very close to the venue. MAYBE. Even then, I'd probably find other ways to spend my time and money. 

I have been sad leaving Merlefest- a 4 day bluegrass festival- but that is a completely different scene. It's damn near a church retreat compared to most rock shows. They don't even allow booze- you have to sneak it in and be discreet. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

MAYBE if I were independently wealthy and lived very close to the venue. MAYBE. Even then, I'd probably find other ways to spend my time and money. 

I have been sad leaving Merlefest- a 4 day bluegrass festival- but that is a completely different scene. It's damn near a church retreat compared to most rock shows. They don't even allow booze- you have to sneak it in and be discreet. 

Oh, a festival - I could definitely do for 4 days depending on my accommodations. But PHISH? Those are some intense shows. 

On a similar note, I'm hoping to plan a trip to the Telluride Bluegrass festival next year. Top on my bucket list (festival wise) right now. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Oh, a festival - I could definitely do for 4 days depending on my accommodations. But PHISH? Those are some intense shows. 

On a similar note, I'm hoping to plan a trip to the Telluride Bluegrass festival next year. Top on my bucket list (festival wise) right now. 

I've never been to any of those awesome Colorado festivals. I've never even seen a show at Red Rocks.

Don't be a Loof, kids. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I've never been to any of those awesome Colorado festivals. I've never even seen a show at Red Rocks.

Don't be a Loof, kids. 

Me either. I was never a big festival go'er. Had a not so great experience at Bonnaroo in 2007, and never went to another one. That doesn't include smaller "festivals" where I was staying with a friend or in a hotel room. 

31 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The thought occurred to me that Phish might be playing 13 straight nights at MSG, but then I thought "......naaahhhhhh."

I had to google it. 

http://www.thegarden.com/events/2017/july/phish.html

I have no idea how anyone, the band or otherwise can sustain something like that. If I had to choose, I'd probably try and catch the shows in between 1 and 5. 

Diversion from topic, but

thanks for the link. We're not talking about Chinese food.

I am curious what Billy Joel thinks about Phish doing 13 nights and surpassing him at 12 nights(which is currently the longest residency at MSG). 

Oh and if any of you are wanting to check out choice songs from Chicago: Simple on the 15th, and Carini from last night. 

Not beer, but I mentioned last year that I wanted to drink the horchata margarita I had at in Epcot. Finally got off my duff and made some. 

.5 oz fireball whiskey

1 oz chila 'orchata rum

1.5 oz tequila blanco

.5 oz agave nectar

5 oz Horchata

4 oz ice

Garnish with cinnamon

large.IMG_20170718_203904868_BURST001.jpg

Proud of myself. Just like I remember it. 

I know there's a current "war" on pastry stouts. To that, I say **** 'em. Tastes just like blueberry pancakes. I wish it there was a little more viscosity, but at 6%, I can't expect much body. 

1dwYlVw.jpg

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

Not beer, but I mentioned last year that I wanted to drink the horchata magarita I had at in Epcot. Finally got off my duff and made some. 

.5 oz fireball whiskey

1 oz chila 'orchata rum

1.5 oz tequila blanco

5 oz Horchata

4 oz ice

Garnish with cinnamon

Sounds tasty. Have you had Rum Chata?

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Sounds tasty. Have you had Rum Chata?

Nope. I've had plenty of spiced rums but never that one.

Looked it up. The Chila I mixed in this drink is very similar. 

25 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Nope. I've had plenty of spiced rums but never that one.

Looked it up. The Chila I mixed in this drink is very similar. 

Rum Chata tastes exactly like the milk from a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It should be illegal. 

Always love Gumballhead. This is much fresher than what I had on tap in Louisville. "Love" and "wheat" never go in the same sentence for me.

Mcb8X9U.jpg

Also, got some meads(I don't drink meads) from B Nektar...solely on the labels alone:

gWiOgqa.jpg

12 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Not beer, but I mentioned last year that I wanted to drink the horchata margarita I had at in Epcot. Finally got off my duff and made some. 

.5 oz fireball whiskey

1 oz chila 'orchata rum

1.5 oz tequila blanco

.5 oz agave nectar

5 oz Horchata

4 oz ice

Garnish with cinnamon

I'M IN.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:11 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Maplewood Juice Pants certainly lives up to its name. Super tropical juice. 

tWzr367.jpg

Fantastic label.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Fantastic label.

Minimalism at its finest.

Bought my buddy, who's also a mezcal fan, a bottle of Creyente for his birthday. He brought it over and we are imbibing on this fine Thursday afternoon. Tres Agaves(personal favorite margarita mix) is the mix. 2:1 ratio mezcal to mix. 

68zimtf.jpg

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Bought my buddy, who's also a mezcal fan, a bottle of Creyente for his birthday. He brought it over and we are imbibing on this fine Thursday afternoon. Tres Agaves(personal favorite margarita mix) is the mix. 2:1 ratio mezcal to mix. 

68zimtf.jpg

*swoon*

Meant to tell you guys that I finally got in on some cinnamon rum action. At Skull Creek Boathouse in Hilton Head- I believe @Barnacle was recently there- they make an Horchata Colada. I think maybe a cross between the horchata cocktail mentioned in this thread and a traditional pina colada. Never would've thought to blend cinnamon and pineapple but it totally worked. 

Archived