New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

Mark Dantonio: midwest guy, who has peaked.

Art Briles: Good offensive mind, but you think the defense has been bad the last 4 years?

Charlie Strong: Yes, but will probably end up at Arky. He's from arky, and they can offer first and probably more money up front since they have no buyout to pay the previous coach.

Pat Fitzgerald: Won't leave his alma mater. I think he's happy with the level he's at and feels the need to continue something his previous coach started.

MIKE GUNDY: Won't leave his alma mater, and they have enough money to keep him if they want him there.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe no one has mentioned the best coach in ncaa; Chris Peterson of Boise St. I would love to have him if chizik is let go. I dont want Anything from Updyke U!!!

I'm sure he would be at the top of the list, but the fact of the matter is he isn't leaving Boise to come to Auburn period.

The dream hire would be Jim Harbaugh (former Stanford HC and current coach of the SF 49ers). Unless he just hates all his success at the pro level, I can't see it happening though.

I don't know who I'd take after that. Chris Peterson comes to mind. Art Briles can field an offense but his defenses suck. Gary Patterson maybe. Not Petrino. Same problem as Briles but character issues to boot.

Keep Van Gorder and give him full defensive control. Then hire an offensive minded head coach with experience. Many of the names mentioned previously would be good choices. Start running the program with serious discipline. The rules are not flexible, break them and you are off the team. I believe CGC is in over his head. He has proven nothing. Poor hires and too many off the field problems. If anyone believes the National Championship was due to good coaching you are fooling yourselves. That was Cam Newton, plain and simple. Time to cut our losses. Recruit character as well as stars, because character matters.

First we need a new AD because the one we have hired what we have.

But my coaching list

1. Art Bryles

2. Gary Patterson

3. Chris Hatcher-Murray State head coach. Same offense as WVU

4. Bobby Wilder 30-8 in 4 years at Old Dominion. Oh and did i mention they have only been playing football for four years in the hardest FCS league.

Keep Jeff Grimes? his offensive line couldn't block a bad cold. I kinda like the idea of us offering Kerby Smart.

Smart may be no better than Kevin Steele. That's Saban's D.

My choices would be Gruden or Jack Del Rio. Del Rio would be an obvious choice if we want the highest possible chance of BVD being kept, as BVD worked under him at one point. I think Auburn would benefit from throwing major money at a proven name.

The dream hire would be Jim Harbaugh (former Stanford HC and current coach of the SF 49ers). Unless he just hates all his success at the pro level, I can't see it happening though.

I don't know who I'd take after that. Chris Peterson comes to mind. Art Briles can field an offense but his defenses suck. Gary Patterson maybe. Not Petrino. Same problem as Briles but character issues to boot.

I agree with this 100%

wait, wait, wait...remember what everyone was saying, we need character guys. they keep saying no Petrino, but I guess they prefer what we have. If CGC is let go, they have to fire JJ. It's a package deal.

If Jay Jacobs is still the AD in the selection process, the guy at ULM looks like the most logical pick.

1000% no. We are big time program that has $$$$. Make Patterson/holgerson tell you no first, then go after art briles and Charlie strong.

I agree, I don't want him either. I'm just saying, Jay Jacobs is.... Jay Jacobs. I want a knockout hire, not some coach from the Sun Belt.

No doubt. As long is Jay Jacobs is our AD, we are not going to get an established coach to come to AU. As you posted Jay Jacobs is.......Jay Jacobs and that is AU's biggest problem regarding athletics.

wde

I can go back pretty far (in the fifties) and I don't know of an "established" coach we have ever hired. Shug Jordan had never been a head coach; Barfield had never been a head coach; Pat Dye had coached only at East Carolina and one year at Wyoming; Bowden had coached only at small schools and Tuberville had head coached only at Ole Miss with a fair record. We all know that Chiszik had a 5-19 record in his two years as head coach. I can't remember a sought after coach in any sport at Auburn until Tony Barbee was hired. He may be Jay Jacobs' best hire of all, but I am not ready to give up on Chizik, as many seem to be.

Josh McDaniels, OC for the Patriots. Like his HUNH offense. Young, only 36. Can he recruit? Who knows, but has a good resume. 3 Super Bowl rings.

LOL....people shouting to "hire a new coach" ....and then can't come up with a single experienced coach that would leave his current job to come to AU for any reason at all. What about the WVa coach surely he would come....but wait, we are running back U and he throws on 4th and 4 at mid field...and besides he gives up about 40 points per game and "that's not AU defense".

And after gripes about not getting a "big name" experienced coaches, we add a few coordinators to the list who have never been head coaches anywhere. And then there is Petrino...so hire him knowing he has been a problem of one sort or another everywhere he's been...get used to ESPN living in AU looking for his latest screw-up.

Firing the HC is not the solution to every problem of a football team and usually just brings on a new set of problems which apparently many people at other schools like UTk, Mich, et al. have found out the hard way. Getting a search on for a new HC should be a last resort....not a knee-jerk reaction to a disappointing season.

If we change our coaches now, you can completely write off one of the best recruiting classes in Auburn history. In three years we will be right back in the same situation, with a shortage of good juniors and seniors. It would be ridiculous to change now.

the problem with some NFL guys, is they are NFL guys. I'd be afraid of someone would come in have decent success for 1-2 years and bolt back to NFL. McDaniels did have an NFL HC gig and failed though too, so he may not have the NFL HC itch anymore.

WVU's coach

Art Briles

Gus Malzahn (who I honestly think AU will go after if Chiz leaves)

Maybe even Chad Morris

I like Chip Kelly but I doubt we could get him unless Oregon doesn't pay him much. With Nike as his top booster, I don't see us being able to compete with that.

I know people are in a panic about Gus Malzahn but honestly that's not a bad hire. I keep seeing many of you saying there's no great coaches available right now. Okay then, who has more familiarity with Auburn and its personnel than Gus does currently? Our offense is atrocious correct? Do you honestly see Gus not being an instant improvement? The kids do believe in him. He would be an instant jump start instantly for the offense.

I keep seeing those of you who defend Chizik so adamantly saying that a coach sometimes has a bad year. Why is it that Gus only gets one in that case? Why can Gus not get the benefit of the doubt? In addition, I would love to see what Gus could do without the leash being pulled tighter and tighter on him. Finally, the kids on this offense were brought in to play one specific type of offenses-Gus's offense. No, it is not a spread I wish people would realize that. Yes, it is hurry no huddle, but nobody insists on running the ball more than Gus Malzahn. Do you guys really think Gus would not have run Tre Mason more? He would not be a bad hire if we can't get a huge name like some here seem to insist.

One last thing, before you guys start slamming Gus on his record you might want to check how his team is doing and against the competition he has faced. He seems to really have Arkansas State headed in the right direction.

I want to start off by saying, I do not believe Gene Chizik should go; not just yet. But for the sake of argument, I've put together 10 names (with minimal research) that could be good hires in the event Chizik is indeed fired, with positives and negatives. Before that, however, I want to clear up a couple things that are frustrating to see over and over...

Dana Holgerson is NOT going to leave WV. Period. Why would any sane individual leave a top 5 team & NC contender to become HC at what is now arguably the worst team in the SEC? Anyone who believes Holgerson would leave is fooling themselves. I wouldn't want him anyway; great offense yes, but the lack of D is atrocious. And as far as money goes, we could pay more, but enough to trump everything else? I don't think so. Chizik makes $3.5 million and Holgerson makes $2.3 million, with a significant raise on the way I suspect.

Chris Peterson is NOT leaving Boise St., he is far too loyal to the school and community. Also, his son is receiving treatment for brain cancer in the area.

Now onto the meat of this ridiculously long post...

Charlie Strong - HC Louisville - Has completely turned Louisville around, they're undefeated and the favorite to win the Big East. A defensive guy and would be a "strong" hire. See what I did there?

Kyle Flood - HC Rutgers - Heir to Greg Schiano and has led Rutgers to a 4-0 record. He only has one year of HC exp. though; how much of this season is him and how much is Schiano?

Gary Andersen - HC Utah St. - Has done a pretty good job with the Aggies; they're currently 4-2 and 8th in scoring defense. They do have a weak schedule however, and one of their losses was to hapless Wisconsin.

Kyle Whittingham - HC Utah - Took over after Urban Meyer and is another defensive minded coach that has built up the program. But would he leave a rising team, especially now that they're in the PAC-12? Not likely.

Pat Fitzgerald - HC Northwestern - Another strong defensive coach that has done a good job with little talent. Northwestern is his alma mater and has a strong connection with the program. He's also very young (37) and is 0-4 in bowl games.

Art Briles - HC Baylor - A favorite of ESPN "anaylsts" who say he's in line for a big time job. But he has made Baylor into a contender in the BIG-12. He turned around Houston & Baylor with a great offense that has churned out a Heisman winner (appealing to recruits). But could he put together any semblence of D?

Kirby Smart - DC Alabama - A great coach & a great recruiter. A 3-4 guy, and with the right players, the 3-4, especially in college can be absolutely dominant. He has been with Saban since 2006 so he is obviously loyal, would he come to arch rival Auburn? No HC exp.

Todd Grantham - DC Georgia - Another 3-4 guy, but this one has NFL exp. Georgia finished 2011 ranked 3rd in total D. But just like with Smart, would he come to an arch rival? No HC exp.

Derek Mason - DC Stanford - Stanford's D (3-4 again) has been dominat this year (with the exception of getting lit up by Arizona). Mason has some NFL exp. but he very inexperienced as a coordinator.

Brian Van Gorder - DC Auburn - Da Da Da Da! A proven commodity at DC and he's already here! A tough nosed guy, good coach, good recruiter who would shape the program the way he saw fit and would hire HIS guys. Edit: My bad he does in fact have HC exp. at Georgia Southern.

I don't think AU will fire CGC either because of the buyout.

However people keep insinuating that we tried to hire Gary Patterson and he turned us down. But all we know is that he was interested enough to interview and then later he withdrew his name. At the time I thought he only took his name out of consideration after he was told AU had picked someone else.

Another name is Butch Jones at Cincinnati. In his 3rd year they are ranked and 4-0. They went 10-3 last season.

I have seen Utah State play a couple of times since last season and they are fun to watch and well coached. Their QB could be carrying them though..hard to say.

Archived