2014 4* CB Stephen Roberts has FLIPPED FROM BAMA TO AUBURN!!!!

ellitor

I just saw this on twitter this morning and it made me nauscious. Yeah I too thought we were in good shape here since he supposedly grew up an Auburn fan.

I still think we are ultimately in descent shape. Bama is planning on taking 1 or 2 more CBs and Humphrey takes one of those spots.

We have some other guys as well on the radar (i.e. Bonny/TX) but this is a favorite tactic of sabear. If we show him it bothers us he just twists harder. (see MLB-AHS c/o 2012) In the end most don't even sniff the field up there. I recommend we lock this thread until NSD 2014. I suggest a nonchalant :crossed arms: approach if you wish to remain insanity-free. JMOTIFWIW

I just saw this on twitter this morning and it made me nauscious. Yeah I too thought we were in good shape here since he supposedly grew up an Auburn fan.

I still think we are ultimately in descent shape. Bama is planning on taking 1 or 2 more CBs and Humphrey takes one of those spots.

From the past several years under Satan, Bammer make it priority to take 4/5 stars from Auburn and Opelika High. When was the last time, we take highly recruited In Lee County directly from High School? It might be something 10 years ago. I expect Stephen Roberts to sign with Bammer, they will take him to play Special Teams only.

Hmmm...

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the past several years under Satan, Bammer make it priority to take 4/5 stars from Auburn and Opelika High. When was the last time, we take highly recruited In Lee County directly from High School? It might be something 10 years ago. I expect Stephen Roberts to sign with Bammer, they will take him to play Special Teams only.

No, it's well known this kid grew up a bama fan.

Lots of bama fans in Opelika and he is one of them. No shame in losing life long bama fans to bama, regardless of where he lives.

Time to move on, we have plenty other top notch DB's high on AU.

Lots of bama fans in Opelika and he is one of them. No shame in losing life long bama fans to bama, regardless of where he lives.

Ummmm no. With every school being limited to 25 signees per year its becoming common for kids to not go to their childhood favorite school. There is no point giving up battles on kids that grew up a fan of another school. Especially when it is not concretely known that kid is a take for the other school.

Well hopefully if he is considering AU - it's genuine and not some fluff.....however the AU staff is professional and most importantly smart. No way they get snowed by a recruit whose true intentions are to play @ Updyke U.

Ummmm no. With every school being limited to 25 signees per year its becoming common for kids to not go to their childhood favorite school. There is no point giving up battles on kids that grew up a fan of another school. Especially when it is not concretely known that kid is a take for the other school.

Ummm Yes, you can play that game, but I bet you whatever you wish he ends up at bama. Watch and see.

Ummm Yes, you can play that game, but I bet you whatever you wish he ends up at bama. Watch and see.

I am not playing games. Just stating reality. And I never said he would not end up at Bama. My point is just because a kid is a fan of a school does not mean he is a lock to go there so don't stop recruiting him or right him off. Auburn would look foolish if they use your philosophy If Roberts is not a take for Bama. If he signs with any other school people are going to wonder how in the world Auburn let a kid from it's back yard to get away out of state when they were in his top 2.

I am not playing games. Just stating reality. And I never said he would not end up at Bama. My point is just because a kid is a fan of a school does not mean he is a lock to go there so don't stop recruiting him or right him off. Auburn would look foolish if they use your philosophy If Roberts is not a take for Bama. If he signs with any other school people are going to wonder how in the world Auburn let a kid from it's back yard to get away out of state when they were in his top 2.

And I never said AU should quit recruiting him. When I posted "time to move on" I was talking in regards to fans having false hope. AU will still recruit him, but I don't think you will see this staff waste resources and get burned like the last staff did at times. They will be able to sniff out those playing games (see Dee Liner) and have other plans that will not leave them with an empty bag.

We shall see, maybe you're right and he comes to AU, but I don't get a good vibe from him. The fact he tells Bone(see article on AL.com where he talks up bama) one thing and Hoke another sings of another recruiting drama.

And good point on if he is a bama take or not. Though I don't see bama passing on him, especially if AU wants him bad.

if memory serves, Brandon Cox was a lifelong turd, and Mr. Football in the state, and we all know how that turned out. Not to say that he was a world beater in college, but all signs pointed to a productive career based on his high school experience. though he wanted bama, they didn't necessarily want him. stranger things have happened.

The interview that referenced Bama in front was with Bone. He gave another interview today with auburn rivals...

@JHokanson

'They are even': #Auburn, #Alabama battle brewing for Opelika (Ala.) CB Stephen Roberts (@stephenisland_4):

@JHokanson

Opelika (Ala.) CB Stephen Roberts was planning a visit to #LSU this weekend, but now tells me he isn't taking that visit.

E, some will gloss over it but those two tweets back-up what you were saying exactly. Andrew Bone has never spoke to a recruit that wasn't leaning to the turds. Even if they commit elsewhere, it means they secretly wanted him to let the bammers know they were a "silent commit". I admit I judged too quickly. He has been to campus several times lately.

One more thing, Can I go on record saying that I despise the term "Silent Commit", that is all. Thanks.

if memory serves, Brandon Cox was a lifelong turd, and Mr. Football in the state, and we all know how that turned out. Not to say that he was a world beater in college, but all signs pointed to a productive career based on his high school experience. though he wanted bama, they didn't necessarily want him. stranger things have happened.

I consider always think of Cox as "my" QB--meaning that I really started to love Auburn football during his 3 years here. The guy wasn't flashy but he was definitely a leader.

I consider always think of Cox as "my" QB--meaning that I really started to love Auburn football during his 3 years here. The guy wasn't flashy but he was definitely a leader.

I always thought he was a good QB but I appreciated BC a lot more after he left. Speaking of his bama roots, he always reminded me of (looked like) a young Joe Namath.

cox-ib.jpgtumblr_mdo8r28V3b1rnr274o1_500.jpg

Back on topic with Stephens, I really hate to see Opelika kids leave Lee county and head across the state for college but it happens even more with non athletes. I always thought it was weird that Opelika has sooooo many bama fans. AU needs to have some kind of targeted intervention here.

Back on topic with Stephens, I really hate to see Opelika kids leave Lee county and head across the state for college but it happens even more with non athletes. I always thought it was weird that Opelika has sooooo many bama fans. AU needs to have some kind of targeted intervention here.

Makes sense to me (having some roots in Opelika and family still living there). Opelika is kind of a blue-collar town. At one time, there were a number of mills/plants operating in Opelika. It seems that many of the working class folks working in these industries pulled for Bama. (As an aside, I actually worked at the Uniroyal plant in Opelika while going to school at AU, so I have number of friends who fit into that category.)

But as a football program, Auburn has traditionally been just as blue-collar as bama. Valley, Lanett, and even Alex City were strong blue-collar mill towns but they dont seem to be as bama as Opelika.

I guess I attributed it more to the intense rivalry between Opelika HS and Auburn HS. That and the pretty obvious culture difference between the two towns. When I first came to Auburn as a freshman (1989) the first thing that we were told was to stay out of Opelika because they hated guys from Auburn. At that time there had been a high school guy that was killed in a fight over a girl from the opposing school. But obviously the problems existed way before then. The rivalry is still intense but I don't see that violent hatred (thank goodness) like I did in the early 90s. Still it's pretty obvious that Opelika has way more bama fans than you'd expect this close to AU.

I believe that the lockdown of certain towns/schools or the certainty of kids from one area or another attending a particular school is coming to an end. It may not happen overnight but I just feel like many of these kids will begin to make the decision that is best for them. For fans or adults of one school to place pressure like that would lead me to go against the norm if I was a recruit in this day and age. I look at the in-roads we have made at Carver (Montgomery and Columbus) and now Prattville with Pettway and Racean Thomas (Oxford) having AU in his top three (none of which were UA) as proof of this. Maybe I'm viewing this through my O & B glasses. I'm aware that Pettway and Thomas still have 10 months to change their minds and they might.

EDIT: I think the nastier the AU/UA rivalry becomes we can expect to see more kids opt to leave the state. JMO though, nothing more.

But as a football program, Auburn has traditionally been just as blue-collar as bama. Valley, Lanett, and even Alex City were strong blue-collar mill towns but they dont seem to be as bama as Opelika.

I guess I attributed it more to the intense rivalry between Opelika HS and Auburn HS. That and the pretty obvious culture difference between the two towns. When I first came to Auburn as a freshman (1989) the first thing that we were told was to stay out of Opelika because they hated guys from Auburn. At that time there had been a high school guy that was killed in a fight over a girl from the opposing school. But obviously the problems existed way before then. The rivalry is still intense but I don't see that violent hatred (thank goodness) like I did in the early 90s. Still it's pretty obvious that Opelika has way more bama fans than you'd expect this close to AU.

It's not nessacerily about football to a number of people in Opelika. Saw this post on TD and there is probably a lot of truth to it.
I'll say this... There are two faces to Opelika. The northside old money/fairly well off (a lot of whom are moving to Auburn or Beauregard) are die-hard AU and are generally very tied to the university, and the southside projects are die-hard Bama because a lot of them are transplants from Tuskegee,..

E, that is weird, I saw that yesterday as well and thought of it earlier. I couldn't remember where I saw it though. I guess the guy in the black helicopter WAS telling the truth when he said you were a mind reader. (I'm off to buy more tin foil) B)

• 1 month later...

The updykes are all expecting him to commit today when KS calls.

The thought is it's tomorrow.

So much for us being tied at the top, huh?

Yeah. I think that was a PR move by him.

Stinks cuz we need some stout CBs & Ss if we're running a five-man secondary.

With only 3 underclassmen CBs and 0 ubderclassmen Safeties on campus right now I completely agree.

Archived