New Auburn Baseball Coach Candidates

Butch Thompson first choice by a long shot if I was doing the picking. Dunn would be the easy and generic pick.

Butch has never been a head coach... except JSCC

no thanks.

This is an extremely ill-informed take.

Please explain. No major head coaching experience. If JJ's main goal was to find the most qualified assistant, Butch is your guy. If you are going for the most qualified head coach, there are plenty of other guys that have been successful as HEAD COACHES at the D1 level.

1. Butch Thompson is the guy everyone points to as long overdue for a head coaching slot. Many felt he should have been hired the last time. He's been at Auburn and understands the challenges. He was a big part of the 2010 team that set records for production. He's a top notch recruiter and pitching coach.

2. You aren't going to get a great head coach to jump this late into the year. Golloway fell into our laps the last time. Don't expect that same kind of fortune this go around. If you're wanting some proven head coach, you may as well write this year off and use an interim guy and conduct your search next spring.

As I have stated earlier, I'm not very up on college baseball. However, I feel exactly as you do on this.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not offer Vanderbilt's HC the job with a million dollar pay increase over what he now makes?

Because he's not going to bail on Vanderbilt this close to the season and that kind of money is way out of line with what schools can afford to pay a baseball coach. Even LSU, who easily makes the most money on baseball (their stadium seats almost 2.5 times what ours does) only pays their coach $750,000 (with incentives he can makes as much as $1.2 million). Corbin probably makes close to $500,000. No way Auburn can shell out $1.5 million for a baseball coach.

It would be different if college baseball was a major revenue producer, but it's not. The market simply isn't up to that level right now.

Jack Leggett might be exactly what both Auburn and he needs. Jack needs a fresh start at a school where there's some talent and AU needs a steady hand who can guide the ship for a few years and see where things shake out.

I'd prefer Thompson, but Jack would be an interesting hire.

Jim Schwanke is avaiable. Was the hitting coach at LSU when they were winning all their championships. Was in line to become the replacement for Bertman until they went out of the program and hired the current guy.

I would think Frank Thomas knows what it takes to get to the next level. That in itself would get a lot of players wanting to come to Auburn.

yep, a guy with a net worth over $60 million is just gonna coach the team. Can't wait for the fire JJ thread for not hiring him you start. Your scoreboard logic is so dumb that a 4-K kid would know better

Jack Leggett might be exactly what both Auburn and he needs. Jack needs a fresh start at a school where there's some talent and AU needs a steady hand who can guide the ship for a few years and see where things shake out.

I'd prefer Thompson, but Jack would be an interesting hire.

I'd be willing to bet this guy was the first phone call made by JJ... Just saying

If the money is right, we can get just about anyone we desire. I am not too knowledgeable of the coaching pool out there, but I think a good placed to start would be to look at the top 10 coaches out there that have had consistent winning programs for the past 7 years. This would be a good place to start IMHO.

War Damn Corgi

If the money is right, we can get just about anyone we desire. I am not too knowledgeable of the coaching pool out there, but I think a good placed to start would be to look at the top 10 coaches out there that have had consistent winning programs for the past 7 years. This would be a good place to start IMHO.

War Damn Corgi

i am sorry to be so direct but you are kidding yourself. We would be a late 2nd/3rd tier baseball program. We struck out in the two searches before Sunny and should expect similar candidates this time. There will be a lot of potential good hires it is just up to a competent person to find the right guy.

Jack Leggett would make a good hire. Living in SC, it was a surprise that the new Clemson AD let Leggett go.

I'm in the JL camp too.....but JJ and whoever else is involved is keeping it really quiet. Guess one day there will be a press conference and then the complaining can begin about why we did not get the guy from Vandy... :)

Jack Leggett would make a good hire. Living in SC, it was a surprise that the new Clemson AD let Leggett go.

If the new coach doesn't get it done the AD may get roasted. Jack could be the one when its all said and done. Thompson might have to turn it down first....

If the new coach doesn't get it done the AD may get roasted. Jack could be the one when its all said and done. Thompson might have to turn it down first....

Technically the most recent coach was "getting it done"....despite whether people liked him. Just wondering if JJ can get away without hiring Dunn....seems some folks won't let up on JJ until Dunn has the job. Curious about so much vocal support for a guy who does not have much of a record at the Div 1 level.

I think the main attraction for Casey Dunn is that he's an Auburn guy. Now people are saying he some sort of bammer. If that's true it pretty much removes any reason to hire Dunn. His record, aside from beating Auburn frequently, is very pedestrian.

By Samford standards, Dunn has done really well. Samford is a very difficult place to win. It always has been. Every once in a while, they will get a Wendell McGee, but it is hard to get good players there. Dunn has made them competitive.

He is not a Bammer at all. Trust me. I'm a few years younger than him and have sat with him and his dad at Auburn baseball games. Unless he is putting on a façade, he is all Auburn. But, even if he was a Bammer, do you not think he would put that aside to do the job? Bill Oliver was a bammer too, but he sure coached the hell out of Auburn's defense in the mid 90's.

I don't know if Dunn is the answer, but I do know he should at least be in the conversation.

I do think that Leggett, if interested, would be the safest hire and bring instant credibility to the program.

Do we really have to hire an Auburn guy? I know Dunn was a great player for Auburn, but what has he done as a head coach? If we all we want is an Auburn man, then we'll start sounding like the good old boy network that Alabama use to have. Auburn fans and others use to laugh at uat for only hiring within their family and having bama boys as their coaches.

I remember you

Do we really have to hire an Auburn guy? I know Dunn was a great player for Auburn, but what have he done as a head coach?

I remember you saying you wanted Dunn as our coach back in the AE days a4e. Your as fickle as a $2 gun

Anybody closer to the program than 150 miles have any idea where we are today?

Greg Norton in charge for the interim?

I assume Scott Duval is still director of baseball operations?

Don't know who is in charge but the fall practice is underway with an intra-squad World Series...

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/100615aaa.html

Archived