Trent Mummey Opines

RunInRed

Auburn “family” It’s time for the truth to come out. First and foremost, I am an Auburn man. I have given my heart and soul to this baseball program on and off the field since the day I committed to this university. I have represented Auburn University with class and dignity. I have broke bones, bled, cried tears of pain, and tears of joy with my brothers at Auburn. I love Auburn University.

My role on the Auburn University baseball team for the past year under Sunny Golloway was the student assistant coach. I coached the outfielders, coached first base, and mentored student athletes. I mentored our student athletes like I would have wanted to be when I was their age. There is not a more satisfying feeling than getting the most out of an individual that nobody else could. Everybody is different. Every player is different. When you find that special something to tap into a player’s heart to get the most out of him you have done your job as a coach. A player can learn the techniques and be a good player, but a special player has heart combined with technique. I tried to get that out of every player at Auburn all while finishing my degree.

I left Auburn University after my junior year to pursue my dream of playing professional baseball and making it to the Major leagues. My time was cut short from playing due to injury, but I was blessed with the opportunity to pursue my dream. My four years in the Baltimore Orioles were not easy to say the least. I went through a lot of trials and tribulations. I didn’t give up, and made the best of some unfortunate situations. During this time with the Orioles I represented Auburn University with class.

When I finished playing in the minor leagues I went home to start a new chapter in my life. I found out soon that it was hard to find the job I wanted without a degree, so I decided to come back to Auburn. This was a very difficult decision for me because I had been on the road for 4 years. I wanted nothing more than to settle down, and enjoy life with my fiancé. I told myself I wanted my kids to have their education, so I was going to go back and get my degree. I changed my major to business and set myself back another 2 years.

When I decided to go back to school the first thing I thought of was being a student assistant coach and giving back to the baseball program. I had been giving hitting lessons for four years in the offseason at my own indoor cage, and had developed a passion for getting the most out of players. I wanted to help the baseball program out however I could. For once in my life though school was going to be my main priority and I was looking forward to that challenge.

I was given a student assistant scholarship for helping out the baseball team. This scholarship paid for my tuition, and helped with my living expenses. The Auburn baseball team benefits from me coming back to finish my degree due to the fact that they were at the time 2nd to last in graduation success rate during my time at Auburn University. When I graduate auburn receives 2 APR points. If you walk around campus you will see plenty of ex-athletes who have scholarships from their program to finish their degree without coaching or helping the athletic department. I was doing the university a favor.

The day Sunny Golloway was fired from Auburn University I was called by Jeremy Roberts, The associate AD. I answered the phone not knowing what was going on about the baseball program. When I answered Jeremy Roberts told me “You have terminated from the Auburn baseball program, and your services are no longer needed.” I was in shock as he proceeded to tell me he couldn’t tell me why. The next day Jeremy Roberts called me back and said, “we are still honoring your scholarship and you have a meeting with the interim head coach to see what your position is on the baseball program.” When he said this I brought up the fact that he called me the day before and told me I had been terminated. He said he didn’t say that and he had proof from Rich McGlynn he didn’t. This was the first time the athletic department lied to me.

Since then I had a meeting with Jay Jacobs, David Benedict, Jeremy Roberts and Rich McGlynn. In that meeting Jeremy Roberts lied to my face again about the phone call with him terminating me. He once again tried to get Rich McGlynn to lie with him.

Today when I went to pick up my scholarship check I was told it had been canceled because I am not coaching anymore. I am not coaching anymore because I didn’t accept Greg Norton’s offer to be the student assistant. The main reason I declined because I, a student assistant, was fired and lied to.

These same people who called me, fired me, lied to me, and took my scholarship away from me are the same people who report to Jay Jacobs. These same people run the baseball department and don’t care if they get the APR points to help with scholarships.

From a former player who wanted auburn to be the best, a former coach who wanted his players to succeed, and a current student who wanted a degree from Auburn University. I’m asking you, the Auburn fan, to take your orange and blue goggles off, and realize there is a true problem within the athletic department. I have kept my mouth shut long enough. I love Auburn University, but when the athletic department takes away a scholarship that is not only pennies to them and helps the program out there is a problem.

I believe Auburn took my scholarship away because they think I am siding with Sunny Golloway. Over the past 5 weeks I have done nothing but told the truth in regards to what I was involved with as a coach and as a player. I believe that Jeremy Roberts and others within the athletic department are persecuting me because I spoke up about the wrongdoings that I witnessed within in the athletic department. These decisions have drastically changed the lives of myself as well as a former teammate and friend in Ryan Jenkins and coaches Sunny Golloway and Tom Holliday who I believe were putting the Auburn University Baseball team on the right track. I know that men mentioned, myself included, only had one motive being to help these young men achieve their potential and hopefully achieve the ultimate goal in winning a national championship for the University we love and playing the game at a professional level.

http://twitdoc.com/v...6fAaACJDbbbXRht

Wow...if Roberts was lying about firing him...he needs to be disciplined and they need to honor the scholarship....if McGlynn didn't back him up because it didn't happen then something is wrong in the department...

Just saw this. Wish it hadn't have been handled on Twitter, especially with the title of it on his tweet, which was "Auburn Family is a lie." Not that I want anything swept under the rug, but don't throw an entire university under the bus for a perceived wrongdoing in the athletic department.

What was that drivel?!

He left school early and went for the brass ring. Didn't work out like a fairy tale, which he seems at peace with. He struggles with job and his reintroduction to school/career. Auburn is gracious enough to give him a coaching job that pays a scholarship. He loses his job just like many many many many coaches do. And his feelings are hurt?!

Did I get that about right? I admit I stopped reading every word because I started to get the whiny pity party vibe. If I am being harsh ... Let me know ... I'll take a couple stiff drinks and try to tolerate the moaning.

Better yet ... Trent, you are four years removed from voluntarily leaving college. Grow up and be responsible for your life choices. You chose part time college coaching. It is big boy business. Even at your alma mater.

Well, if he is going into business he just got a lesson they don't teach in the classroom or books. It's good to learn these lessons early in your career.

I despise people that try to air out their dirty laundry to the public. No matter how wronged they were. There is a line that should never be crossed as far as keeping everything professional and that line benefits the employer and the employee mutually. And clearly this guy did just that so he isn't hireable IMO.

Too bad for everyone it seems....and interesting that the firing of CSG was so actively promoted by Phillip Marshall...and then hailed by a number of people on this forum as overdue.

Now (but too late) there seems to be another side that most of us were not made aware of. Could be that JJ got some bad advice or believed the wrong people about CSG. And of course, seems that CSG and now TM have handled it poorly to keep this issue alive longer than necessary. Soap Opera material as noted above.

AND...where is coach Holliday ? I'm beginning to wonder if his body is somewhere along side that of Jimmy Hoffa. A few somewhat vague allegations about NCAA violations followed by a suspension ....and then.....NOTHING. He seemed like a decent guy.....seems wrong to treat him like the old Soviets did....remove his name picture from the records....and pretend that he did not exist.

Holliday is hopefully smart enough and professional enough to suck it up and move on. Probably is busy doing good interviews for solid paying jobs while these 2 are dragging themselves through it.

This guy needs to suck it up. This University and the Athletic Department owe him nothing. You leave on your own to chase a dream and it didn't work out. You could be like the majority and have to have paid your way through the entire 2 years to get your degree but they went out of their way to give you a helping hand. And you admit not taking the job and expecting to get your check still? Really??? I must admit when it starts off like his "article" did, you could tell it was going to be a whine fest

So Mummey's lying?

Auburn athletics will never see greatness with Jay Jacobs as leader. He's willing to do anything to keep his job.

Can't wait to hear from Coach Holliday on all this.

Shoot....who knows....and why not considering that he was close to CSG...has as good a reason to not be telling the whole story as do the other people in this saga.

Hoke posted this on FB ... I'm not sure I've settled on a "side" in this story but these are some thought provoking points ...

I understand there are always two sides. There seems to be confusion, but the fact that a former player trying to get his degree even feels like he's been mistreated or lied to is a tad troubling. There shouldn't be any confusion. I also think regardless of whether he stayed on with the new staff, if he was given that opportunity, his scholarship should be honored. He's a former player back to get his degree, and Auburn can't honor his scholarship after there's a coaching staff change? It's just another troubling story involving the same people. Smoke, fire and stuff.

Why should it be honored? Just cuz? I have read in the past that football players basically have a lifetime opportunity to come back and get their degree "on auburn". Maybe I misunderstood that. Maybe each sport has a different policy.

But appears the deal here was ... Student coach and you have a scholly. Don't student coach and you don't have a scholly. I don't know about anyone else but that seems pretty simple. Since he doesnt want to student coach for his scholly then he can get a night job to pay for school like loads of other students. Where in the heck is ... Oh never mind ...

So Mummey's lying?

Auburn athletics will never see greatness with Jay Jacobs as leader. He's willing to do anything to keep his job.

I don't think Mummey is necessairly lying. However, there's a pretty good chance he could have kept his scholarship had he just kept his mouth shut. He may still be able to go on scholarship if he applies correctly. That opportunity to come back and get a degree while on scholarship is not limited to former football players. As I understand it, all former scholarship athletes qualify.

Today when I went to pick up my scholarship check I was told it had been canceled because I am not coaching anymore. I am not coaching anymore because I didn’t accept Greg Norton’s offer to be the student assistant. The main reason I declined because I, a student assistant, was fired and lied to.

This is all anyone needs to read from that pile of text. He was given the opportunity to keep coaching but turned it down because he was fired when the rest of the staff was, and he believes he was lied to. Seems like he also has a contentious relationship with Jeremy Roberts which probably predated the incident in question. He took a ridiculous stand over something stupid, because he was offended, and when it came back to bite him in the butt, he went to social media to complain about it. All that tells me is that Trent didn't grow up much in his 4 years on the road.

So Mummey's lying?

I don't think Mummey is necessairly lying. However, there's a pretty good chance he could have kept his scholarship had he just kept his mouth shut. He may still be able to go on scholarship if he applies correctly. That opportunity to come back and get a degree while on scholarship is not limited to former football players. As I understand it, all former scholarship athletes qualify.

That's how I see it....as I read his piece, I got the impression that he might have spoken up when he should have kept his mouth shut....and additionally made the mistake of injecting himself into an Auburn internal issue that only peripherally involved him. Hopefully when the dust settles....and cooler heads prevail this will get sorted out to his benefit.

Mass chaos here. Athletics has some work to do internally and soon. There are a few people inside the "confines" of athletics that need to readjust their approach to the work they do, and there are people outside of athletics who could use better judgment in attacking a problem (insert Mummey). I believe Trent has a beef when it comes to how this was communicated. I also believe he should have used a tiered approach as to how he handled it. Now it's all out there and the fire is gaining in height.

I believe Trent has a beef when it comes to how this was communicated.

He can have all of the beef he wants. Letting people go isn't easy and A LOT of people do it wrong. What people need to realize is that, unless you have a contract that says otherwise, no one is required to employ you. Any company, school, or otherwise, can let you go anytime you want. If it's without cause, they have to cover your unemployment, but that's it. I've seen far too many take the stance of "they can't do that to me" and make a huge deal out of it when the truth is, they can and they don't even have to tell you why. It sucks, but it's reality.

People also frequently lie about mistakes they made, which is something else he is claiming in his article. Character flaw, sure, but not an indication that there is some kind of systemic problem.

It sounds to me like we have a great coach, now, who everyone can get behind and who isn't going to put up with shady things happening on his watch. Whether the university looked for a reason to get rid of Galloway or not, he was a consistent cause of friction and due to that, wasn't good for the university, so they had the right to watch him like a hawk and use any mistake he made to send him packing.

People involved with this situation, who care about Auburn, need to step back and let Thompson get settled. Then, if they still see real issues, bring them up with him and not air them out on the Internet.

He can have all of the beef he wants. Letting people go isn't easy and A LOT of people do it wrong. What people need to realize is that, unless you have a contract that says otherwise, no one is required to employ you. Any company, school, or otherwise, can let you go anytime you want. If it's without cause, they have to cover your unemployment, but that's it. I've seen far too many take the stance of "they can't do that to me" and make a huge deal out of it when the truth is, they can and they don't even have to tell you why. It sucks, but it's reality.

People also frequently lie about mistakes they made, which is something else he is claiming in his article. Character flaw, sure, but not an indication that there is some kind of systemic problem.

It sounds to me like we have a great coach, now, who everyone can get behind and who isn't going to put up with shady things happening on his watch. Whether the university looked for a reason to get rid of Galloway or not, he was a consistent cause of friction and due to that, wasn't good for the university, so they had the right to watch him like a hawk and use any mistake he made to send him packing.

People involved with this situation, who care about Auburn, need to step back and let Thompson get settled. Then, if they still see real issues, bring them up with him and not air them out on the Internet.

Agree....and because this involves sports there is ready made audience of people who will read TM's comments, draw conclusions and take sides without knowing anything else. If TM had suffered the same fate at the local Ford dealership, nobody would read his tale of woe.....or even care.

Agree....and because this involves sports there is ready made audience of people who will read TM's comments, draw conclusions and take sides without knowing anything else. If TM had suffered the same fate at the local Ford dealership, nobody would read his tale of woe.....or even care.

I don't disagree....but if the Ford Dealership fired the nephew of the owner of said dealership they might do it in a more respectful manner.

I don't disagree....but if the Ford Dealership fired the nephew of the owner of said dealership they might do it in a more respectful manner.

They might, but in my experience the number of people who suck at firing people far outweighs the number of people who are good at it. I HATE that part of management. I don't sleep at night when I have to reprimand someone... firing them is monumentally worse. There is also a good chance, with the speed at which things happened, that there was some miscommunication that made it worse.

The last time I got laid off (along with 15 others), the manager doing it cried and the HR rep came across like Percy from the Green Mile. It was like he was enjoying it. He wasn't... he just didn't know what to do and came across horribly.

Archived