WCWS FINALS vs. Oklahoma -Game One Thread

How did it work out better? The strike out?

We ended up with a runner on Second and Third with one out. If we bunt at best we end up with a runner on Second and one out, even worse a runner on first with one out, or even worse than that she pops it up and we get doubled off. That def. for OU is no joke as seen by the play at the plate.

I think your missing the out was after the baserunner was already on first.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did it work out better? The strike out?

We ended up with a runner on Second and Third with one out. If we bunt at best we end up with a runner on Second and one out, even worse a runner on first with one out, or even worse than that she pops it up and we get doubled off. That def. for OU is no joke as seen by the play at the plate.

I think your missing the out was after the baserunner was already on first.

Right, but If we bunt we are basically giving them an out to try and advance a runner. I agree with you and was suprised we didn't do that, but in true Myer's fashion he proved why I'm coaching my daughter's team and he is coaching in the World Series for the 9th time.

Yes the runner on second would have scored on the error. It doesn't matter though. War eagle

Gotcha. War Eagle!

Coach Myers said postgame that ‘You have to win two games to win the WCWS, we chose to pick the last two. It’s just that way'. I like this guy. What is funny is he is serious and believes it 100%. I do too.

Drunk Aubie tweeted, "It's a hustle guys, you have to lose the first one."

I completely agree!! Lol

Coach Myers said postgame that ‘You have to win two games to win the WCWS, we chose to pick the last two. It’s just that way'. I like this guy. What is funny is he is serious and believes it 100%. I do too.

That is funny!

I didn't overly like, although i understood, the working the pitch count up on Parker, but I would have rather seen AU hitters being more aggressive at the plate. I think AU hitters do better when more aggressive. I hated seeing so many pop ups and ground balls. I think a lot of that is having to hit a pitch they don't exactly want to late in the at bat when they got 2 strikes on them. I thought he should have held the runner at 3B on that line drive shot to the 1B, but it was probably a called play with her running on contact. If he had held her then then the bases are loaded. OH well. AU will get them tonight and win it all tomorrow!!!

That is funny!

I didn't overly like, although i understood, the working the pitch count up on Parker, but I would have rather seen AU hitters being more aggressive at the plate. I think AU hitters do better when more aggressive. I hated seeing so many pop ups and ground balls. I think a lot of that is having to hit a pitch they don't exactly want to late in the at bat when they got 2 strikes on them. I thought he should have held the runner at 3B on that line drive shot to the 1B, but it was probably a called play with her running on contact. If he had held her then then the bases are loaded. OH well. AU will get them tonight and win it all tomorrow!!!

Check the number of pitches PP threw and it was not many for a 7 inning game. Lots of called strikes out of the strike zone put our batters in holes....though on the other hand, there were a lot of first pitch swings....just not good swings that resulted in a ton of pop flies.

I think the loose strike zone had the batters bothered.....that last at bat by 00....don't think there was ever a ball in the K-zone but the count ran to 3-2 before CW walked and she was obviously miffed at a couple calls.

As for the out at the plate...if you watch the video the runner was not off with the pitch...actually stepped back toward the base and did not run until the ball was bobbled a bit....something CCM commented on in the post-game. Everything seemed to work according to plan except a young player hesitated at a bad time....stuff like that happens.

Two very equal teams..both playing well and the difference was a few little things. AU played well enough to win IMO...and just hope we don't look back with regret over not closing that one out.

That is funny!

Check the number of pitches PP threw and it was not many for a 7 inning game. Lots of called strikes out of the strike zone put our batters in holes....though on the other hand, there were a lot of first pitch swings....just not good swings that resulted in a ton of pop flies.

I think the loose strike zone had the batters bothered.....that last at bat by 00....don't think there was ever a ball in the K-zone but the count ran to 3-2 before CW walked and she was obviously miffed at a couple calls.

As for the out at the plate...if you watch the video the runner was not off with the pitch...actually stepped back toward the base and did not run until the ball was bobbled a bit....something CCM commented on in the post-game. Everything seemed to work according to plan except a young player hesitated at a bad time....stuff like that happens.

Two very equal teams..both playing well and the difference was a few little things. AU played well enough to win IMO...and just hope we don't look back with regret over not closing that one out.

I can promise you one thing, even if AU loses 20-0 tonight, regret will be the furthest thing from thier mind. This team has been excellent to watch all year and they have played at 100% every game, barring a few lapses late to aTm. They always go down fighting and they seem to recover from thier mental mistakes very well. They don't let one bad inning get to them and they always believe they can win. That attitude comes from the coaches and the players have bought in 100%. They do what they are asked and do so with a smile. Look at Lexi Davis, she didn't pitch much this year. She's watched younger pitchers get the ball all year while she, a senior, stood at the rail and cheered them on. She got the ball yesterday, and but for one bad pitch (she had 3-4 but OU didn't take advantage), she pitched a remarkable game.

Her approach could have been like some football players we have seen, grumbling and threatening to transfer (or even actually transferring) because a younger player is getting more playing time. Instead, she waited her turn and did everything you could expect from the game 1 starter of the NCAA Championship series.

We should amend the title of this thred to add that this is game 1. Hopefully we will have 3 of these!

That is funny!

I didn't overly like, although i understood, the working the pitch count up on Parker, but I would have rather seen AU hitters being more aggressive at the plate. I think AU hitters do better when more aggressive. I hated seeing so many pop ups and ground balls. I think a lot of that is having to hit a pitch they don't exactly want to late in the at bat when they got 2 strikes on them. I thought he should have held the runner at 3B on that line drive shot to the 1B, but it was probably a called play with her running on contact. If he had held her then then the bases are loaded. OH well. AU will get them tonight and win it all tomorrow!!

On that line drive to first base, I too believe it was a called play and one of the reasons it didn't work (in my opinion) is that the runner hesitated because it was a line drive. She had to stop, change direction and change direction again to go home. If that ball had hit the ground before reaching the First Baseman (woman) our chances of scoring that tying run would have increase greatly. Either way, OU's defense is very good.

Great play by OU 1st basemen

Yep, that's all it amounts to. As I said before, a foot in either direction and the game is tied at the very least. Some times you beat yourselves, some times you get beat even when you played well. AU got beat by a stellar pitcher, timely hitting, and a great defensive play. Kind like AU beat UGA.

That is funny!

It's funny how two people can watch a game and see completely different things. I thought we didn't try to work the pitch count at all. By the 5th inning she had thrown very few pitches, relatively speaking. She did have to toss some more in the last two. Be that as it may, we're going to have to hit it. If she wasn't too tired last night she's not likely to get too tired.

We really need to lead the game early. Parker has lived on her team scoring runs and giving a cushion. She always has the lead or tied. We need to shut them out first inning, since they will bat first.

Even if the runner stayed at third on the play at the plate. She would have tagged the runner coming to first. Still 2 down and runner on third being the tying run. Same result, but we forced a throw.

first let me say that with Coach Meyers credentials, past championships, and bringing AU softball in 3 years farther than it ever had in the previous 17, I don't think any of us should question his coaching reasoning, pitching, hitting, or baserunning. ))

While I wished we could have gotten that tying run in with less than 2 outs...it just didn't work out.

The girl smoked that pitch to first base. And as coach Meyer said, the runner hesitated, which more than likely cost her a better chance of getting in.

But if she thought the ball was a line drive, then she had to freeze a second, and make a quick decision once the ball caromed in front of the first base girl.

And the first base girl fired that ball to home. I was surprised how quickly it got there.

As the runner who scored the previous game on a ground ball, I am sure this girl last night thought the same. Take off, and make the infielder make a perfect throw. The night before the girl didn't. Last night, they did.

And remember the top of the line up was up, and I had hoped for a better ab with Howard. I guess her swing was to punch it, and she got under it.

But overall win or lose the series, we will be proud of these girls for giving us so much fun, wins, and at times heartattacks...lol.

That is funny!

It's funny how two people can watch a game and see completely different things. I thought we didn't try to work the pitch count at all. By the 5th inning she had thrown very few pitches, relatively speaking. She did have to toss some more in the last two. Be that as it may, we're going to have to hit it. If she wasn't too tired last night she's not likely to get too tired.

It seemed like to me a lot of counts were getting to 2-2 or 3-2, then AU hitters were popping up or grounding out, resulting in only 3-4 batters per inning, AU only had 2 hits and 2 walks, so that is 4 batters in 4 of the 7 innings, IF they got to a 3-2 count and hit the 6th pitch, then that would be 25 batters (16 + 9) X 6 pitches = 150 pitches max. She threw about 2/3 of that, so still averaged about 4 pitches per batter. They might not have been hoping she would tire out by trying to extend the pitch count. Sure seemed like AU hit a lot of not perfect strikes or balls just out of strike zone after getting 2 strikes which seemed to contribute to pops and grounders, reaching or not getting pitch you want. Of course, Parker is one helluva pitcher too, so gotta give her credit too.

I do fully believe AU will get 4-6 runs tonight on Parker, assuming she pitches again. You gotta think OU would pitch someone else now that AU has seen Parker.

Actually we had four hits. Parker faced 28 batters and threw 91 pitches. Lexi faced 25 batters and threw 80 pitches. Both pretty low pitch counts.

As for hitting pitches out of the strike zone, I don't think our batters knew what the strike zone was . The umpire was all over the place and batters had to be very defensive and swing at anything that looked good . Nobody wanted to carry their bat back to the dugout.

J Just to be clear, I think the Oklahoma batters had the same problem considering g that most of their hits were pretty feeble.

Actually we had four hits. Parker faced 28 batters and threw 91 pitches. Lexi faced 25 batters and threw 80 pitches. Both pretty low pitch counts.

wow that is surprising. Lexi only pitched 6 innings but assuming a final inning like the first 6 it would have been very similar numbers. It's a shame lexis game gets slightly overshadowed. Amazing that if the liner to first in the top of the 7th gets to the outfield then we may win and lexi's game becomes dang near storybook-esque.

Sports can be awesome and cruel like that.

Archived