Colin Kaepernick answers his critics

aujeff11

1 minute ago, AURaptor said:
All lives matter. So much going on in this world today.Can we all just get along! Colin,I respect your stance but don't disrespect the Flag.

I forgot that Jerry Rice has the ultimate say on race relations...

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CK's birth mother isn't too happy with her son.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s birth mother had some harsh words for her son on Twitter.

“There’s ways to make change w/o disrespecting & bringing shame to the very country & family who afforded you so many blessings,” Heidi Russo tweeted at Kaepernick after he decided to sit out the national anthem this past

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/30/colin-kaepernicks-mother-hes-brought-shame-to-family/#ixzz4IpUCBc90

2 minutes ago, kwren34 said:

Who besides you says that Jerry Rice has the ultimate say on race relations? Let's see, Jerry Rice is a former player for the 49ers. He is well respected by virtually everyone on the planet based on the way he has chosen to live his life. Personally, I care what Jerry Rice has to say on the subject. Let's just agree that his opinion on the subject is more valid than mine or yours.

Just now, Grumps said:

Who besides you says that Jerry Rice has the ultimate say on race relations? Let's see, Jerry Rice is a former player for the 49ers. He is well respected by virtually everyone on the planet based on the way he has chosen to live his life. Personally, I care what Jerry Rice has to say on the subject. Let's just agree that his opinion on the subject is more valid than mine or yours.

I'm sure i could take the time to find someone's opinion that is more valid than Jerry Rice's. However, @aujeff11 did that on the last page. Jackie Robinson had the same stance as Kaepernick, and Robinson is more loved in sports lore than Jerry Rice. What's your point?

17 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

CK's birth mother isn't too happy with her son.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s birth mother had some harsh words for her son on Twitter.

“There’s ways to make change w/o disrespecting & bringing shame to the very country & family who afforded you so many blessings,” Heidi Russo tweeted at Kaepernick after he decided to sit out the national anthem this past

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/30/colin-kaepernicks-mother-hes-brought-shame-to-family/#ixzz4IpUCBc90

Way to go, step mom!! 

:angry:

Edit) If this is the birth mother, the one that gave Colin up for adoption, maybe she should've raised Colin herself if she is so embarrassed. I don't know. 

5 minutes ago, kwren34 said:

I'm sure i could take the time to find someone's opinion that is more valid than Jerry Rice's. However, @aujeff11 did that on the last page. Jackie Robinson had the same stance as Kaepernick, and Robinson is more loved in sports lore than Jerry Rice. What's your point?

There is absolutely no comparison between what Jackie Robinson went thru and what Colin Kaepernick has gone thru. Robinson's stance is much more legitimate given the racism he endured as the 1st black professional in what had been an all white league. Robinson also didn't make $100million dollars either in fact he didn't make close to a $million his entire career. CK is incredibly fortunate to be living in this day and age and to have had legitimate icons like Jackie Robinson and others pave the way for him.

1 minute ago, TheBlueVue said:

There is absolutely no comparison between what Jackie Robinson went thru and what Colin Kaepernick has gone thru. Robinson's stance is much more legitimate given the racism he endured as the 1st black professional in what had been an all white league. Robinson also didn't make $100million dollars either in fact he didn't make close to a $million his entire career. CK is incredibly fortunate to be living in this day and age and to have had legitimate icons like Jackie Robinson and others pave the way for him.

Robinson was paid handsomely compared to the rest of the black Americans in that day. Hell, if I wanted to take a stand against it, there is nothing that says I can't. Just because Kaepernick is biracial doesn't meant he should sit down and shut up.

30 minutes ago, kwren34 said:

You want to side with Colin?  Be my guest. 

8 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

You want to side with Colin?  Be my guest. 

Thank you for your permission to be able to formulate an opinion.

However, the post you are referring to was about Jerry Rice, not Colin Kaepernick. You are assuming I am siding with Colin. I have not said one way or the other.

...and before you mention it, my second post that mentions Kaepernick was showing that a greater athlete than Jerry Rice sides with Colin.

Jerry Rice was a 49er & a legend in the NFL. This isnt about who's got a bigger one, but the point that Kaepernick is making & his means of protesting it are delusional. I don't care who you bring up who claims to support him, it doesn't make it a valid cause. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I'd argue that's it's not his job to write up a 10 point plan. He used his own platform to put the message out there. When the discussion is out there,  the appropriate people can respond according with the formalities. He didn't  just "leave" is my point.

It has become blatantly obvious by now though that just because he is a backup QB, that you and others deem his message as invalid since he is supposedly doing it for his own personal gain.

So in other words, he will be doing no more than Kaepernick.

I would argue that it is everyone's job to do what they can.

The platform of sports has been used multiple times, the discussion has been out there for over 100 years. He brought nothing new to the table was my original post.

Never said it was an invalid argument, just that it has been already raised... millions of times. If everyone in my family complains of there being too many roaches in the house. I'm not doing anything to help if I simply stare back and proclaim there are too many roaches in the house. Someone making 100+ million has so many more avenues available to them to try and make changes. Yet he has done less than many local community leaders.

Absolutely not, as far as effort Trump is doing more. As far as effect, I think Trump will do a ton of damage, where Kaep will do no good or bad.

Just now, Mims44 said:

I would argue that it is everyone's job to do what they can.

The platform of sports has been used multiple times, the discussion has been out there for over 100 years. He brought nothing new to the table was my original post.

Never said it was an invalid argument, just that it has been already raised... millions of times. If everyone in my family complains of there being too many roaches in the house. I'm not doing anything to help if I simply stare back and proclaim there are too many roaches in the house. Someone making 100+ million has so many more avenues available to them to try and make changes. Yet he has done less than many local community leaders.

Absolutely not, as far as effort Trump is doing more. As far as effect, I think Trump will do a ton of damage, where Kaep will do no good or bad.

WTF

One Christian's perspective.  I think he raises some valid points and asks some good questions (for Christians at least):

Does Colin Kaepernick Hate America?
1. As a general matter, I don’t take protest by wealthy celebrities seriously. Kaepernick is one of the richest and most famous people in America. America has been very, very good to Colin Kaepernick. Few if any classes in America are more privileged than the professional athlete. He signed a six-year, $114 million contract with the 49ers in 2014. There’s something obnoxious about a multimillionaire NFL athlete taking this kind of stand. If his stand actually costs him something, I will reconsider.
2. On the other hand, Drew Brees is wrong: the American flag is not sacred. I mean, I understand why he believes that it is, and I am sure it is sacred to him, as it is to tens of millions of Americans. But should it be? Do we worship the nation and its symbols? At what point does loving one’s country — patriotism — become an idolatrous form of nationalism?
3. What if the United States government, as well as American culture, began to oppress Christians in a serious, deliberate way? How would I feel about standing up for the National Anthem myself? I would be hard pressed to do so, precisely because the state would be violating the one thing I do hold sacred: the Sacred.
4. It is no small thing to refuse to stand for the National Anthem. It shows disrespect towards the nation, which is to say, All Of Us. It is to say, “I’m not part of you.” If that’s how one feels, then there’s no gainsaying it, but it’s a big deal. What would happen if more people began to think that the ties that bind us together as a people are not as strong as the forces pulling us apart? And what if that were true?
5. I think the vast majority of people who stand for the National Anthem do it unthinkingly. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with that. One’s love of and fidelity to one’s country should be assumed, normally. Most people will see Kaepernick’s stunt as just that: a stunt. But the day may come when things like this have more power than mere shock value. Though Kaepernick’s action is wholly political, with no discernible religious content to it, it ought to make Christians think about our own relationship with the nation and its symbols.
6. Here’s what I mean: To what extent do we consider being a faithful Christian coterminous with being a good American? We may see no meaningful difference today, but how will we be able to tell when the nation asks us to burn a pinch of incense in honor of the national deity, and that’s something we cannot do without violating our consciences? We may see no contradiction between being a good Christian and a good American, but what happens when Americans as a whole look at dissenting Christians and call us un-American for the things we believe and do? Will we stand for the National Anthem then? If so, will we stand for the America we think is real, versus this politicized, debased America that the mainstream holds to? Or will it be more important for us not to stand, and to accept whatever consequences come with that?
7. Are we asking too much from our country, to expect it to be perfect, and to withhold our public expression of loyalty and respect until it perfects itself — a day that will never arrive? Would we refuse to respect our extended family until it sorts out its own problems? In what sense is the nation like a family? Same with our church (an issue that has been very much present in my own life, as longtime readers know).
8. What will it cost us if we lose the ability to stand together for the National Anthem? Is it worth what we stand to gain?
These are the thoughts I have around the Kaepernick incident. I welcome yours.

Just now, AURaptor said:

Jerry Rice was a 49er & a legend in the NFL. This isnt about who's got a bigger one, but the point that Kaepernick is making & his means of protesting it are delusional. I don't care who you bring up who claims to support him, it doesn't make it a valid cause. 

You don't care who I bring up because who I brought up doesn't think the same way as you. I wasn't the first to bring up Jerry Rice, nor was I the first to bring up Jackie Robinson. 

Also, I'd say that bringing up one of the most influential people in the civil rights movement and the fact that he agrees with CK would bring validity to what CK is doing. 

1 minute ago, kwren34 said:

You don't care who I bring up because who I brought up doesn't think the same way as you. I wasn't the first to bring up Jerry Rice, nor was I the first to bring up Jackie Robinson. 

Also, I'd say that bringing up one of the most influential people in the civil rights movement and the fact that he agrees with CK would bring validity to what CK is doing. 

Wait, Jackie agreed with Colon? Who has got this hotline to the afterlife!!???

9 minutes ago, kwren34 said:

First of all, I haven't seen in the actual quotes by Jackie Robinson. Maybe he's so old and so confused he doesn't understand the issue. Or maybe he does. That remains to be seen.

Second of all Jerry Rice played in the NFL and is a more direct comparison to Colin then Jackie Robinson is from like so many decades  ago.

And lastly,  Colin  doesn't even know what the hell he's talking about. That's what makes this whole issue nonsensical. To disrespect the flag in the country for some ambiguous cause only shows his ignorance 

4 minutes ago, kwren34 said:

Ohhh, you mean the near 50 year old quote. From a man whose life ended before he saw any lasting changes of the civil rights movement? Compared to the rich kid millionaire?

You do a huge disservice to Jackie by equating the two.

This is dumb on many levels, let me tell you that the USSR is the greatest threat to Americans today, and then I'll go grab up tons of old quotes from respected individuals because ya know, the landscape of our country NEVER changes, not ever.

1 minute ago, AURaptor said:

First of all, I haven't seen in the actual quotes by Jackie Robinson. Maybe he's so old and so confused he doesn't understand the issue. Or maybe he does. That remains to be seen.

Robinson died almost 44 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Ohhh, you mean the near 50 year old quote. From a man whose life ended before he saw any lasting changes of the civil rights movement? Compared to the rich kid millionaire?

This is dumb on many levels, let me tell you that the USSR is the greatest threat to Americans today, and then I'll go grab up tons of old quotes from respected individuals because ya know, the landscape of our country NEVER changes, not ever.

So because the quote was 50 years ago means that it has no validity today? I was unaware that quotes had expiration dates. I guess we can throw out the Bible or any historical text from over 50 years ago. Also, MLK died before "any lasting changes of the civil rights movement". Are his quotes invalid as well?

When, exactly, did I compare what CK did to what JR did? All I did was say that JR had similar thoughts as CK and backed it up with a link.

5 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

He is not equating the two men. He is equating the stand between the two. He isn't saying the two has had similar experiences. Having similar experiences isn't sufficient to speak out against the ills of the country. White men, gay men, transgendered people, etc can cash in on the check that was returned as "insufficient funds" from our country.  I'm sure you know where that quote came from.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I don't understand why we feel it's necessary to play the anthem and raise the flag before athletic events in the first place.

It isn't.  It's just a tradition.  But it's not going to change either.

Archived