How would you fix...

bigbird

...the offense

1. What plays would you run or not run.

2. Who would you play instead of others.

3. What adjustments would you make to the scheme(how would you attack defenses with our talent/luck of talent)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More play option passes for SW. Sean needs to be able to keep the ball on the read more often. Against very talented front sevens, we probably shouldn't be running pass plays that require a lot of time to develop or else Sean will get hurt again. 

People may get tired of me mentioning this but i think we should use JF3 in the RZ some. Spread the defense and let defenses try to guard KJ or JF3 one on one. It opens up the inside and outside IMO. We don't throw slants or fades...don't even attempt them down in the RZ. Some may say we don't have the WR for it but i disagree. I'd love to see Nate in the game more when it comes to our RZ offense. Let him go up and make a play on the ball. I just don't think the WildCat with KJ is going to be effective much with many SEC defenses. I didn't think the playcalling in the RZ was bad but it was vanilla. Guys have to help the QB out and catch the ball when we do get opportunities...we missed 2 TDs b/c of that for sure. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

We're fine 20 to 20. I'd be interested in what others suggest we do differently in the RZ. 

Get receivers in or really close to the end zone hold onto passes that him them in the hands would be a nice start. :big:

I'd love to see both KP and Kerryon in the backfield with Sean.  Keep the defense guessing who were giving the ball to.  I'd also like to see us use a tight end every now and then.

Just now, CleCoTiger said:

Get receivers in or really close to the end zone hold onto passes that him them in the hands would be a nice start. :big:

Agree but we kicked a ton of FGs this season. Overall, it has not been b/c of a lot of dropped passes. We didn't get 1 yard tonight and had 2 chances to do so. 

14 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

People may get tired of me mentioning this but i think we should use JF3 in the RZ some. Spread the defense and let defenses try to guard KJ or JF3 one on one. It opens up the inside and outside IMO. We don't throw slants or fades...don't even attempt them down in the RZ. Some may say we don't have the WR for it but i disagree. I'd love to see Nate in the game more when it comes to our RZ offense. Let him go up and make a play on the ball. I just don't think the WildCat with KJ is going to be effective much with many SEC defenses. I didn't think the playcalling in the RZ was bad but it was vanilla. Guys have to help the QB out and catch the ball when we do get opportunities...we missed 2 TDs b/c of that for sure. 

This...

we are moving the ball some especially between the 20's when the play calling is good (and plays we run are good ones) and using more hurry up (and pass more down field. and gotta get past the 1st down marker on more throws)... gotta catch the passes,

I'd like to see the younger taller WR talent out there more... I don't care if they can block or not... if they can get open and catch put em out there.

I'd also Like to see the bigger Jalen Harris worked in more at tight end / HB to help block (maybe even WITH COX TOO on goal line / short yardage) and can also catch passes. With SW there has to be a threat of a pass... one of the taller recievers.. I do think we could still use a JF III or KJ wildcat and Pettway too....  but will have to have "good" play calling / execution and need more big bodies on the short yardage to attempt a run up the middle, BUT we can still use the speed and keep em spread out... Pettway is GOOD at bouncing it outside too.

I think (hope) we will see some adjustments this next two weeks to be ready for Miss State and Ark...

13 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

I'd love to see both KP and Kerryon in the backfield with Sean.  Keep the defense guessing who were giving the ball to.  I'd also like to see us use a tight end every now and then.

and a LOT of THIS... both in the backfield... and love to see what Jalen Harris could do.

Biggest thing I'd do is throw it deep more. If the other team has 8/9 in the box and is leaving a 1 on 1 with no safety, I'm chucking it. Even if you only convert about 30% of those, hitting a 40+ bomb has a big enough impact to be worth a shot.

Plus, that might be the thing to actually get the defense to loosen up. Even if you throw a slant for 10 yards, they can still commit to stopping the run. If you're hitting them for touchdown bombs, then they have to really rethink things.

We have so many weapons in the passing game yet we don't use them nearly as effectively as we should. Part of that is the OL but the other part is that we simply don't give our guys a chance to make enough plays.

There isn't an easy fix, but one thing that can help every position on offense is experience. More reps everybody gets better. Hard to be a wr for Auburn. Every drop is blown up, but the bail out catches rarely mentioned....lose/lose. I say all the guys are helping each other.....that's the definition of a team.

SW really had enough time to throw it this game, O line did a better job and LSU is pretty good on D.... I was impressed the way we moved the ball, they just stuffed us at the goal line when they got there wind / time out etc.... but I believe with better play calling and / or a package for the goal linewe can fix it.

I think if we can play FAST when we get down there, we don't have to go to a special package... stoppage, time out... injury (fake injury) or we just stall / neg play etc... then I think we need a go to package.

It's not a simple fix but there are certainly things our staff can do to help us be better on offense. We have enough talent to overcome on offense but it seems we're going to continue to force feed this scheme so they're going to have to get better with more reps. 

What about some changes to the starting OL. One new starter could be Mike Horton. Another could be Davies James. If nothing else it could provide a great wake-up call to the guys up front

1 minute ago, milehighfan said:

What about some changes to the starting OL. One new starter could be Mike Horton. Another could be Davies James. If nothing else it could provide a great wake-up call to the guys up front

Out of likes.:hellyeah: However, Left had a pretty good game.

1. Be more physical and play our assignments up front.

2. jF3 should see the field in the red zone, either as wildcat or the sweep man...he's just so quick around the edge and we need that.

3. Abandon any and all bubble screens since we've not blocked well for it in 3 years.

4. Don't church it up in the red zone, run the ball between tackles and throw in some play action or waggle.

5. Vertical passing routes down the seam.

6. Slants to our big physical freshmen wide receivers.

7. Anything involving the TE

8. Sometimes we have to throw the ball when the receiver isn't wide open and let the guy be an athlete and make a play.

On 9/25/2016 at 1:30 AM, bigbird said:

Out of likes.:hellyeah: However, Left had a pretty good game.

Leff literally pushed / picked up SW (or maybe KJ?)  and got a first down on a run up the middle... I was laughing, technically gets the yardage but Leff was carrying him AND the ball... lol

We must not continue to run the same play up the middle on 90% of first downs. We need a jumbo goal line package. We are still in way too many 3rd, and longs, which are caused by unimaginative first down play calling. 

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

We must not continue to run the same play up the middle on 90% of first downs. We need a jumbo goal line package. We are still in way too many 3rd, and longs, which are caused by unimaginative first down play calling. 

Also, we need a tight end game, and need to learn how to throw screen passes to our running backs. Teams just tee off in Auburn on 3rd and long. We need an effective screen game to slow that down.

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

5. Vertical passing routes down the seam.

This! (The others were good too!) Especially against single high safety looks; which we have seen a good number of times, especially the last two weeks. I have noticed several times when the D had all their defenders within 10 yards of the LOS. Or, 10 out of 11 with a single high safety. Seam routes are made to order against that look--combo seams, make the safety commit one way or the other and you got yourself (if executed) a big play.

not a coach. i think the o line could do better but it would appear to me that sean held the ball too long on some snaps causing us bad things to happen. anyone agree or am i off base?

1. What happened to the jet sweet? Somebody to take Ricardo Louis's place.

2. more bounce plays with Kerryon, less dive plays

3. With Sean white's pocket presence and ability to deliver, some draws with KP

More opportunities for the freshman WR's. I saw Stove in on a few plays last night, but I would like to see what he, Kyle Davis and Nate Craig-Myers can do if really given the chance to catch some passes and get into some type of a rhythm. Add Slayton to that group and I don't think many teams in the country have a more exciting group of young receivers, but AU has to do a better job of getting them involved in the game.

And the short to intermediate routes seem to obviously be Sean's strong suit, yet AU runs very little of any slants, seam routes, etc.  And I'm with PTB, the bubble screens are useless the way we run them.

Here are a few plays I would like to see incorporated in the offense:

1.line up in I formation more and run stretch play and play action off that.

2. I formation counter trap play

3. Line up with a tight end and use some seem routes up the middle of the field 

4. Screen passes to running backs 

Archived