Chandler Cox

RunInRed

@JMR mentioned this in his Things I Think I Saw post ... but thought it was worth further discussion.  Remember, this is not a personal attack on a player but rather a discussion on performance ...

Chandler Cox appears to be struggling with the “block in space” assignment that’s such a key part of Malzahn’s offense with the H-back. For those that have done it, there’s kind of an “art” to blocking in space, where you run hard to get there, but then have to come under control as you arrive at the target, and then explode into the block. Chandler seems to be still running wide open when he throws his block, and missing more than he hits. I hope he gets it soon, as that is a critical part of the Malzahn offense that we are sorely missing right now.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned this on the game thread... he's looked lost on multiple occasions recently and I'm very much hoping he improves into half the FB Prosch was. 

Those were all just bad technique. Head on the wrong side of the blocker, not delivering the block with power, bad use of hands, poor body placement.. Cox looks like a RB blocking, not a FB/HBack. He's clearly lowering his head and throwing himself at the defender rather than moving laterally, being strategic with body placement and driving the defender back.

I wonder if working as a RB this offseason caused him to get out of practice in blocking as a FB. 

He's only a sophomore. He can get to Prosch levels but he's still very young. Hoping he progresses this year and becomes a force for us for his junior and senior seasons. But it's not fair to compare senior level Prosch with sophomore level Cox just yet IMO

But those clips look like a guy who shouldn't be on our starting unit. I still think having Pettway and Kerryon on the field at the same time is our best bet. KP can be utilized as a lead blocker and a threat to carry the ball. Lots of options.

1 hour ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Those were all just bad technique. Head on the wrong side of the blocker, not delivering the block with power, bad use of hands, poor body placement.. Cox looks like a RB blocking, not a FB/HBack. He's clearly lowering his head and throwing himself at the defender rather than moving laterally, being strategic with body placement and driving the defender back.

I wonder if working as a RB this offseason caused him to get out of practice in blocking as a FB. 

+1;  those replays all showed very poor form and in everyone he was lowering his head just before launching to block.  Almost like that crushing block he had last year has gotten into his head and he wants to do that every play.  But bad foot placement and bad technique all around will kill his career if he doesn't change it soon.  IMO he needs to go practice with the OG for a few weeks.

There was a play where their DE blew up the QB and BOTH Cox and Pettway together missed the block...

Then every once in a while you see one of those guy's throw a GREAT block... O line blocks GREAT then  / break down... Some of that you have to give credit to the speed and Defensive schemes... they are just NOT consistent enough at this level yet... every play.

There are just some blocking / execution issues... core of our Offensive issues and causing us to play behind the chains too much.

But even with the issues they are getting better, and we SHOULD score on that 1-2 yard play from now on... most of this is fixable.

Prosch wasn't a bulldozer immediately upon arrival either.  But he was/is coach able.  When you have that much natural size and ability, it just takes some good coaching.  If Cox is coach able he'll get there.

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Prosch wasn't a bulldozer immediately upon arrival either.  But he was/is coach able.  When you have that much natural size and ability, it just takes some good coaching.  If Cox is coach able he'll get there.

So true. Prosch didn't look all that different than those Cox cut-ups there to start his senior season. He got the hang of it right around LSU game and afterwards.

Cox does seem to be the designated whipping boy this year maybe next to Sean. Stevens may be third in line for negative comments edging out Leff.  I've  seen some very good blocks by CC but they seem to go unnoticed.  He certainly needs to improve but so does everyone else on offense (and defense too).  Defense has been consistently good but not great (yet).  Because of offensive struggles, defensive guys seem to have been given passes for the most part so far. I do think our guys are coming together as a team. We need to get behind all our players (and coaches).  More encouragement  and attaboys than criticism.

Considering that Fountain has an easy job with special teams this year, since field goals are a given and kick-off coverage is unnecessary, you would think he could spend a lot of time getting Cox ready to play.

The middle one he actually did what he was suppose to do albeit fell down, btw Shawn missed the hole on that play he should have followed the pulling guard and gone off right hip not inside.

Top one that is a mental breakdown it is almost as if the game is too fast for him right now.  There are plenty of other plays where he misses and falls down.  If this is the case what is he doing right to keep him in the game?

Bottom one meh that can happen to anyone he didn't keep the defenders hands off him and was shucked off.

Cox has not improved from last year,I was hoping he would be a lot better by now,he missed a lot blocks last year and I said all the time Pettway was by far the better blocker of the two.But he is young and hopefully he will get better with time.They need to get the tightend ready to play and see if he can block better.

For folks that think we have options or Cox should be benched, what are those options? To this point in his career, Jalen Harris hasn't shown a nose for blocking either, and he doesn't look as quick/athletic as Cox so he's not really an option on the hook blocks and other plays in space.

You can't play Pettway every down, shifting between RB and HB. He can't be on the field as the lead blocker and give Kerryon a blow as our primary backup. That's not an option because you'd work him into the ground. The guy has to be able to come off the field.

So what are you left with? Chandler Cox may have deficiencies, but he's the best option we have available. He just has to improve. That's the only real option to get better production from HB.

58 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Prosch wasn't always a bulldozer. he was chipping a guy on the correct shoulder enough to create space and move on the the next level. he could buldoze when needed but he was about making the play work and doing what it took. cox seems to miss some easy blocks by not placing his body correctly when the defender just needs a quick shove. one of the videos above shows him attempting to block #40 on the wrong side of his body. would have been an easy block and looks like it should come natural to him. i think he has the strength and physicality.

27 minutes ago, autan said:

Cox does seem to be the designated whipping boy this year maybe next to Sean. Stevens may be third in line for negative comments edging out Leff.  I've  seen some very good blocks by CC but they seem to go unnoticed.  He certainly needs to improve but so does everyone else on offense (and defense too).  Defense has been consistently good but not great (yet).  Because of offensive struggles, defensive guys seem to have been given passes for the most part so far. I do think our guys are coming together as a team. We need to get behind all our players (and coaches).  More encouragement  and attaboys than criticism.

i like stevens. he is gonna drop some but he is much improved. a 6'4" reciever and quick is hard to find. if he can make the % of catches he is making now we just need to throw more and be ok. He has to keep his feet too.

I think it's fair to question technique, but I don't think anyone should be questioning Cox's heart. The coaches will look at this film, and no doubt will make it a point of focus for him. I suspect that he will improve. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

He has to keep his feet too.

I know the play you're talking about.  Looked like a sniper shot him after the catch.  Some guys just don't have the fluidity to catch a ball in stride and continue running.  It's like he focuses on the catch and his legs get paralyzed.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

i like stevens. he is gonna drop some but he is much improved. a 6'4" reciever and quick is hard to find. if he can make the % of catches he is making now we just need to throw more and be ok. He has to keep his feet too.

Stevens is becoming a reliable target.  The thing that is killing him in the public perception is that his drops come at the worst possible time.

Archived