Chandler Cox

RunInRed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have 5 HB and 4 TE on the roster.  There are options.  

If he is struggling with angles it is up to the offensive coaches to put him in a position to succeed by adjusting the play/alignment.  They also need to coach him up, the items I saw should be an easy fix

28 minutes ago, eibua12 said:

We have 5 HB and 4 TE on the roster.  There are options.  

If he is struggling with angles it is up to the offensive coaches to put him in a position to succeed by adjusting the play/alignment.  They also need to coach him up, the items I saw should be an easy fix

Being on the roster and being an option are not the same thing. If the other guys were really an option then I think we would see them on the field from the results we see on those plays. More coaching, more reps hopefully lead to more success. This is probably what Coach means when he says we're close. A better block and those plays are big gains for the running game.

From a running game standpoint I believe this team is close to breaking lose against quality football. We're not as far off as the recent red zone woes would indicate. A couple catches and a block here and there and this team is turning a corner. In my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

From a running game standpoint I believe this team is close to breaking lose against quality football. We're not as far off as the recent red zone woes would indicate. A couple catches and a block here and there and this team is turning a corner. In my opinion. 

Dang, I need more likes! :)

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

But those clips look like a guy who shouldn't be on our starting unit. I still think having Pettway and Kerryon on the field at the same time is our best bet. KP can be utilized as a lead blocker and a threat to carry the ball. Lots of options.

I agree 100%. Can you imagine basic I formation inside the 5 with KP and KJ? Wow. 

11 hours ago, Tiger said:

He's only a sophomore. He can get to Prosch levels but he's still very young. Hoping he progresses this year and becomes a force for us for his junior and senior seasons. But it's not fair to compare senior level Prosch with sophomore level Cox just yet IMO

But those clips look like a guy who shouldn't be on our starting unit. I still think having Pettway and Kerryon on the field at the same time is our best bet. KP can be utilized as a lead blocker and a threat to carry the ball. Lots of options.

On the first offensive play of the second possession in the LSU game Pettway missed his blocking assignment resulting in a sack. My point being I don't think we have a RB, HB or TE that is good at blocking.

18 hours ago, Tiger said:

He's only a sophomore. He can get to Prosch levels but he's still very young. Hoping he progresses this year and becomes a force for us for his junior and senior seasons. But it's not fair to compare senior level Prosch with sophomore level Cox just yet IMO

Prosche was a freshman all-American at Illinois.  I don't think the comparison is too bad considering, at least age can't be the determining factor.  JP was just a beast.  hard to hold ANYONE to that standard. 

The last one is the hardest to take. LB wasn't even looking at him and he missed him. One thing to miss a guy in space who sees you coming. Another thing to miss a guy who has no idea your there. Hopefully the light comes on for him like it did Prosch. But I'd love to see us sign some true FB if this position is so critical to the offense. Seems to be an after thought in recruiting

3 hours ago, trout54 said:

Prosche was a freshman all-American at Illinois.  I don't think the comparison is too bad considering, at least age can't be the determining factor.  JP was just a beast.  hard to hold ANYONE to that standard. 

I hear you 100% and agree with your overall point. But even Prosch struggled for the first quarter of the season or so in 2013. But yes Prosch was a day-1 NFL starting fullback for Houston so setting his ability as the standard is unfair.

9 hours ago, Fricking Ray said:

On the first offensive play of the second possession in the LSU game Pettway missed his blocking assignment resulting in a sack. My point being I don't think we have a RB, HB or TE that is good at blocking.

True, but it seemed last season KP was more consistent in landing his blocks than CC was. But I also understand he can't be the HB and tailback at the same time he's going to need some rest too. But having both on the field at times could be beneficial, but it will be hard for KP to be on the field ALL the time

The only thing similar to prosch is they are both white and play the same position....prosch was a bulldozer from the start he just had to learn a different system....But yes hopefully he will improve

34 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Why not move Chandler to tight end. Malzahn needs to use the tight ends a lot more then what he does.

Chandler basically is a tight end.  Our H-backs bounce between tight end and full back roles.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The only thing similar to prosch is they are both white and play the same position....prosch was a bulldozer from the start he just had to learn a different system....But yes hopefully he will improve

This.  Not to dog on the kid but when he was receiving so much praise in the off season, I expected him to be a beast. Then when I saw him in the first game, I was shocked how small he looked.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Chandler basically is a tight end.  Our H-backs bounce between tight end and full back roles.

Can we change your name to kindheartkc?

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd also like to see KMART used in the RZ. His speed and hands out of the backfield could be dangerous 

Does anyone have any idea why this kid isn't being used in the OMAC/Grant role on speed sweeps? (Let me guess, he doesn't block on the perimeter well and doesn't know the route tree yet...lol).  Speed sweep is non-existent for us this year.

27 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Does anyone have any idea why this kid isn't being used in the OMAC/Grant role on speed sweeps? (Let me guess, he doesn't block on the perimeter well and doesn't know the route tree yet...lol).  Speed sweep is non-existent for us this year.

Seems they have a little more trust in Truitt right now. And I'm okay with that. Truitt's a player. Possibly a more important injury last season than many thought. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seems they have a little more trust in Truitt right now. And I'm okay with that. Truitt's a player. Possibly a more important injury last season than many thought. 

I like Truitt's speed but not his size.  6 attempts for 12 yards through 4 games ain't gonna cut it at any level of football.  Neither will 3 receptions for 20 yards.  I know that depends on play calls also, but I haven't seen anything special there other than his speed.  My entire point is we aren't running the speed sweep effectively this year for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

I like Truitt's speed but not his size.  6 attempts for 12 yards through 4 games ain't gonna cut it at any level of football.  Neither will 3 receptions for 20 yards.  I know that depends on play calls also, but I haven't seen anything special there other than his speed.  My entire point is we aren't running the speed sweep effectively this year for whatever reason.

I don't think we're getting great blocking, and I also don't think that we're succeeding with the rest of the playbook to the point where defenses have to respect... well, much at all. As for size, Truitt's bigger than Martin. 

Archived