AUF Anglers

Me and Alex fished a swamp in kayaks today. I kept 27. He kept 19. I also fed some 9mm rat shot to a cotton mouth that I couldn’t get away from. 

2B1DDCD4-C957-40A5-9E8B-A8E632649EC9.jpeg

D9324F1B-4243-44B6-BA6F-77F1BF290726.jpeg

19308F22-48D4-4965-9E91-0C3C691A2569.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Me and Alex fished a swamp in kayaks today. I kept 27. He kept 19. I also fed some 9mm rat shot to a cotton mouth that I couldn’t get away from. 

Fat Cotton Mouth. Bit by one when I was 12 YO. No fun. You have a lot of fish clean alex. Looks like a few nice shellcracker. 

31 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Fat Cotton Mouth. Bit by one when I was 12 YO. No fun. You have a lot of fish clean alex. Looks like a few nice shellcracker. 

Thx. Had two very nice gills in the bottom of the cooler not visible in the picture. I probably caught 100 but I only keep the biggest ones and the ones that swallowed hook. 
   This is my favorite fish to eat, fresh water anyway. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Good Pampano run at Mexico Beach this morning.

IMG_0810.JPG

Are you surf fishing, pier, boat?

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Thx. Had two very nice gills in the bottom of the cooler not visible in the picture. I probably caught 100 but I only keep the biggest ones and the ones that swallowed hook. 
   This is my favorite fish to eat, fresh water anyway. 

Some people do not agree but I would put it side by side with anything that swims in the gulf. Turned to bream fishing when my three sons where young . We had a couple of great places to do it in Auburn. Learned early on that to interest kids in fishing you have to catch fish. Hard to do with bass and kids. All of my boys are grown and continue to be avid fishermen. 

Always caught shellcracker this time of year but hard for me to find afterward. Never a doubt when you hooked a good one.

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

Are you surf fishing, pier, boat?

Surf fishing, always good beginning late March through early June. Being a wide bodied fish put up a great fight so important to have the drag set right. Great on the table sauteed or grilled. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another bream fishing kayak trip. Got a few good gills for dinner. The water dropped in this swamp and the fish moved. I found them ( the good ones) after I was out of crickets and worms from all the small ones I caught. Then I put on a small spinner with a hair jig. About a 1/16 oz. the big gills were nailing it. This 2 pound bass came on the second cast. That was fun.

57CF6C0B-1B98-4624-8B84-5F35D4749C64.jpeg

On 5/4/2020 at 6:38 PM, alexava said:

2B1DDCD4-C957-40A5-9E8B-A8E632649EC9.jpeg

D9324F1B-4243-44B6-BA6F-77F1BF290726.jpeg

19308F22-48D4-4965-9E91-0C3C691A2569.jpeg

That’s a haul. Also good on you for being able to identify a cotton mouth vs water snake vs copperhead. The Snake Identification group on FB has really helped my knowledge of distinguishing between the 3(and hog nose and timber rattlers). I come into contact with water snakes every time when I’m out. Hoping to safely “score” a cotton mouth one of these days. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, alexava said:

Another bream fishing kayak trip. Got a few good gills for dinner. The water dropped in this swamp and the fish moved. I found them ( the good ones) after I was out of crickets and worms from all the small ones I caught. Then I put on a small spinner with a hair jig. About a 1/16 oz. the big gills were nailing it. This 2 pound bass came on the second cast. That was fun.

57CF6C0B-1B98-4624-8B84-5F35D4749C64.jpeg

I’ve been ripping squarebills and they’re producing from the bank. 

HrOhJ9i.jpg

DvUzMtC.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

We made a trip  to Scottsboro to prefish the Alabama highschool bass fishing finals on guntersville this week. We struck out on top water early but went to the worm on the edge of grass and got some fish in the boat. These two were 4 1/2 and three. Had another 3+ but it took a while to remove the hook(deep) so we hurried it back in the water without a picture. We had about 12 -13 pounds in five keepers. 
    The flathead catfish was 6#. It got cleaned. Never ate one before. If it wasn’t 66 miles to Scottsboro I would bass fish more. Guntersville lake is a different animal than Wheeler. 

077E2621-21A4-4C8A-A56D-C6D9F5B75A0E.jpeg

07988AC9-D52E-48B3-A395-A33C49B1F818.jpeg

6765F495-33D4-4FF1-AC34-FBB95DEE27D8.jpeg

• Like 5

I got off work Wednesday and went back to try some different water. We only fished about an hour because of weather.  Still got two pretty nice fish on worms. Our high school team 12 man (6boat ) team did well Thursday. I think we are in eighth place.I’m not a captain unless we need a fill in.   Not sure how they earn points. Top to bottom we had the best weight. I think they are just using the top three boats weights for competition. Alex and his partner had 7.some odd pounds. (3) fish. I thought they would have a 5 fish limit. Don’t know why it’s just three. Anyway he got 2 on a grass frog early then they caught 10 or so on worms. They fish again Saturday and that will be the end of the season for ASABFA. Edit::::: 
       East Limestone ended up 2nd place in the state. Good tournament for the boys. They enjoyed their three day stay in cabins  on lake guntersville. 

Edited by alexava
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Took a drive to Horseshoe Bend today. Bored plus have not been up that way in a bit. Beautiful place to visit and convenient to Auburn. Ran into some fisherman and what looks like a great guided trip. Fly fishing not required if prefer other means.

https://eastalabamaflyfishing.com

• 11 months later...

Well I got quarantined from work yesterday  for ten days! Hooked up the boat because the weather was awesome. Covid +, asymptomatic so I went solo. Had 3 hours till dark. Good haul for 3 hours. Considering I released more than I kept that were legal 9”. If weather holds up and my health does too …..I’m going to hammer some fish getting paid to do it. 

08AFF948-C3F7-45CA-A624-B3C3B09C1397.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Well I got quarantined from work yesterday  for ten days! Hooked up the boat because the weather was awesome. Covid +, asymptomatic so I went solo. Had 3 hours till dark. Good haul for 3 hours. Considering I released more than I kept that were legal 9”. If weather holds up and my health does too …..I’m going to hammer some fish getting paid to do it. 

Where or what area? Cold and wind in Auburn/Opelika area. 

Edited by SaltyTiger

12 hours ago, alexava said:

Fishing and quarantine or social distancing go great together. Hopefully stay asymptomatic. Always loved fishing on company time.

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Where or what area? Cold and wind in Auburn/Opelika area. 

Wheeler lake. Athens/ Decatur area. There was zero wind and 49 degrees. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Fishing and quarantine or social distancing go great together. Hopefully stay asymptomatic. Always loved fishing on company time.

I don’t know if I am technically still asymptomatic. I have shingles that started several days ago that I didn’t realize what it was,thought maybe it was a Covid rash. This is no fun now. I don’t know if Covid caused it but I know I’ll get that Shingrix vaccine ASAP. 
      I got a buddy that wants to go Monday. I warned him about the positive test. He said “ I’ve had Covid and 3 shots, if I get sick, I get sick!”  The poor feller done took off work. I don’t know if my pain is bearable Monday or not. Hopefully so. 

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t know if I am technically still asymptomatic. I have shingles that started several days ago that I didn’t realize what it was,thought maybe it was a Covid rash. This is no fun now. I don’t know if Covid caused it but I know I’ll get that Shingrix vaccine ASAP. 
      I got a buddy that wants to go Monday. I warned him about the positive test. He said “ I’ve had Covid and 3 shots, if I get sick, I get sick!”  The poor feller done took off work. I don’t know if my pain is bearable Monday or not. Hopefully so. 

Understand shingles can be bad. I went ahead with shots last year on advice from experienced friends.

Hope it works out that you can fish a little. Been cold and windy lately. Prior was killing bass on light line rig and small jigs. Missed some good fish but caught a lot. Have a place where I have been catching monster filet size bream. Cold weather hasn’t shut them down a bit.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Understand shingles can be bad. I went ahead with shots last year on advice from experienced friends.

Hope it works out that you can fish a little. Been cold and windy lately. Prior was killing bass on light line rig and small jigs. Missed some good fish but caught a lot. Have a place where I have been catching monster filet size bream. Cold weather hasn’t shut them down a bit.

I was aware of the shots but not keenly aware. The previous vaccine was recommended for a later age. This new one is recommended for 50 year olds. I think it lasts 5 years and can be boosted. I’m 49.lol. So I’m recommending 45 be the age to get it! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alexava said:

I was aware of the shots but not keenly aware. The previous vaccine was recommended for a later age. This new one is recommended for 50 year olds. I think it lasts 5 years and can be boosted. I’m 49.lol. So I’m recommending 45 be the age to get it! 

Best of luck brother. I've got you by a few years, so maybe I should consider that vax as well. Does not sound like fun.

Been catching lots of crappie on live scope. Addictive. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Best of luck brother. I've got you by a few years, so maybe I should consider that vax as well. Does not sound like fun.

Been catching lots of crappie on live scope. Addictive. 

I’m probably going to be peer pressured into a livescope. Two full weekends of overtime might cover it....or three. 
      I just got an Ipilot PowerDrive this Christmas..I should have done that years ago. 

• Like 1

High 50s with 1-4 mph wind tomorrow!  I’m going to have to be hurting bad not to go. I might be doing everything one handed. 

• Like 1