Greg Brown

auburn4ever

Greg Brown is our new defensive back coach. He's a 1980 grad of Texas-El Paso. He comes to Auburn from Missouri.

C1m0B7TUAAACPt8.jpg

Auburn, Ala. — Greg Brown, who has coached three players that have won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back, has been named Auburn’s secondary coach announced Gus Malzahn Saturday. 

A 36-year coaching veteran, Brown comes to Auburn from Missouri where he spent the last year coaching cornerbacks, where the Tigers tied for the SEC lead in interceptions in the regular season. His resume includes 15 years of experience in the National Football League.

“I’m excited to welcome Greg Brown, who is one of the best defensive backs coach in all of football to our staff at Auburn,” Malzahn said. “Greg has coached three Thorpe Award winners and has a strong proven track record of developing players at both the college and professional level.”

Three of his pupils; Deon Figures (Colorado, 1992), Chris Hudson (Colorado, 1994) and Gerod Holliman (Louisville, 2014) have won the Thorpe Award. Brown is the only coach to have ever coached three players that have won the Thorpe Award. In 2014, Holliman tied an NCAA record with 14 interceptions.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010717aaa.html

Missouri cornerbacks coach Greg Brown, a 36-year coaching veteran with 19 years at the college level and 15 years in the NFL, is headed to the Plains, a source confirmed to AL.com.

Brown, who spent one year at Missouri, previously coached at Louisville (2014-15) and Alabama (2013) and served as defensive coordinator at Colorado (2012) after numerous stops over 15 years in the NFL.

"I'm excited to welcome Greg Brown, who is one of the best defensive backs coach in all of football to our staff at Auburn," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said in a statement. "Greg has coached three Thorpe Award winners and has a strong proven track record of developing players at both the college and professional level."

Brown helped coach a Missouri defense that tied for the SEC lead in interceptions (15) during the regular season, though it allowed 246.8 passing yards per game to rank 86th nationally. Missouri allowed over 300 passing yards in just two games (Georgia and Arkansas) this season.

Brown, a graduate of UTEP in 1980, worked with Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele while at Alabama in 2013.

"I'm extremely excited to come to Auburn and have the opportunity to work for Gus Malzahn and on the defensive side of the ball with Kevin Steele," Brown said in a statement. "Auburn has a great football tradition built on hard work and toughness. I can't wait to get to Auburn to help continue to build upon that success."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburn_to_hire_missouris_greg.html

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a very solid hire by CGM and CKS.  Has an incredible resume and appears to be a great developer of talent.  Rather post in this thread then the other DB coach thread because of the garbage of a thread it has turned into.

We have recruiters all over the place....I want to know if he can coach and teach our DBs how to defend our SEC opponents.  

If you are thinking about goobers, you might have KB in mind if that pic I saw elsewhere was really him. :dunno:  

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We have recruiters all over the place....I want to know if he can coach and teach our DBs how to defend our SEC opponents.  

If you are thinking about goobers, you might have KB in mind if that pic I saw elsewhere was really him. :dunno:  

See the other thread to understand the post. Personally, I think it looks like a good hire

Solid experience,  great resume.  

Definitely not a wow hire but a good hire. 

For all of you fans who are disappointed with this hire, you probably live life with a glass half empty mentality anyways. I expect him to work well with Steele and give our defense a great shot to be really good. 

IMHO Greg Brown's secondary began the end of our honeymoon with Jeremy Johnson - picking him off 3 times in our 2015 squeaker over Louisville.

Brown will make it the 5th former Alabama assistant  to be hired by Gus Malzahn at Auburn... Or am I wrong? Brown is also the only coach to have ever coached three players that have won the Thorpe Award.

Although looking at him... I don't know how well he is going to relate to the kids we are going after. Hopefully recruits will overlook the way he "looks"  and look at his coaching pedigree - the guys he has coached and the awards they have won... But... I just dont know... 

This is without question a guy that develops rather than brings the talent in... 

We need development guys to mix with our recruiting. Not that it matters much I really like this hire. Screw home run hires at this point. We need coaching. 

IMO if you have to look up a coaches' bio because you know nothing about him, then that's usually not a good thing. I'm sure the recruits will feel the same way since he was more than likely not recruiting any of our recruits at Missouri. Very underwhelming hire.

I'm sure he'll have an easier time convincing a kid to come to Auburn as opposed to the turmoil at Mizzou...

2 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

IMO if you have to look up a coaches' bio because you know nothing about him, then that's usually not a good thing. I'm sure the recruits will feel the same way since he was more than likely not recruiting any of our recruits at Missouri. Very underwhelming hire.

We didn't need a movie star. We need a director. I'm good with it.

30 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Seriously?  Many would be very hard pressed to name 3-5 college secondary coaches off the top of their heads. Just because one hasn't heard of someone doesn't mean they aren't a good coach or good hire. Obviously spending ~20years in the NFL dictates he might know his craft.

9 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

Please CGB, teach our DBs to not give an 8 yard cushion to opposing receivers....

That's the coverage scheme, not a technique. Although lining up at that depth does require a different technique than, say press man.

38 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Brown will make it the 5th former Alabama assistant  to be hired by Gus Malzahn at Auburn... Or am I wrong? Brown is also the only coach to have ever coached three players that have won the Thorpe Award.

Although looking at him... I don't know how well he is going to relate to the kids we are going after. Hopefully recruits will overlook the way he "looks"  and look at his coaching pedigree - the guys he has coached and the awards they have won... But... I just dont know... 

This is without question a guy that develops rather than brings the talent in... 

Does Steele look like a guy that relates to the kids?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Maybe as a 2nd cousin...

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Touche. Good point. I wasn't complaining. I said he has the pedigree. Being the only coach to ever coach 3 Thorpe winners speaks VOLUMES. 

Not a flashy hire. But certainly a good fundamental hire. 

When Missouri football coach Barry Odom hired Louisville assistant Greg Brown in January, his new players were unsure what to think after a quick Google search.

“I was a little nervous at first seeing his picture because I saw this older guy,junior Logan Cheadle said. “I was thinking, how are we going to relate to him?”

Other Mizzou cornerbacks had similar concerns, but it’s not like Odom talked Methuselah out of retirement to join the coaching staff. Brown is 58 — six years younger than former Mizzou head coach Gary Pinkel — and he’s spent more than half his life coaching defensive backs in major college programs and across the NFL. He coached his first of three Jim Thorpe Award winners in 1992, before any current Mizzou player was born — and when Odom was just a freshman in high school.

After some research, Brown’s new charges were quickly sold on his experience, especially once they met the veteran coach.

“When I found out who he really was,” Cheadle said, “and all the experience he has in the NFL and other places, we were blessed to have him.”

“It’s kind of different because he is older,” senior Aarion Penton said, “but every time he steps in the room and interacts with us, it’s great. You can tell he’s willing to work with us and willing to get our chemistry level together.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/brown-gains-trust-of-mizzou-s-cornerbacks/article_0231e745-c28b-5605-bb64-32c811544da8.html

I don't know.... I do know we're going to be out recruited by bammer and Georgia for a few years minimum. The resume is solid. I cringed when I heard Missouri though

We always get out recruited by those two schools.   It comes with the territory.    It would take us hiring the best coach ever to out  recruit those schools.   It's always been that way.    For whatever reason....history, tradition, state name or small town auburn seems at a disadvantage.  The key is to find a coach that can recruit several playmakers that can carry a team and get the team to play as one

Archived