Alabama - preview

JwgreDeux

Alabama vs. Auburn (M Basketball)

Auburn (12-6, 2-4) vs. Alabama (11-6, 4-1)

• Saturday, January 21st, 3:00PM CT
  • ESPN2 / WatchESPN
  • Auburn Arena
  • Tickets

The Iron Bowl of basketball is upon us, as is a great chance to bring our league record to within one game of .500 (3-4). A win here could put us in the top half of the league and one step closer to getting back in the post season discussion.  With the rumors of the return of Purifoy swirling, it makes previewing the game a challenge not knowing that to expect. It also makes setting the line more difficult, but I would put this game at AU -1, but would not be suprised if the line opens within a few points in either direction of that. 

Bama has been playing well of late (6-1 in their last seven), after a disappointing start, currently sitting at 11-6 overall, 4-1 in the league, and 83 in the RPI. This is a match up of very different styles. Bama is slow (all kidding aside), they play a very slow pace, while we like to push the pace. They aren't very big, but they play a physical brand of ball, and will be a challenge physcially for some of our lighter guys like Lang, Smith, Spencer, and Harper. We will have to be ready for a scrappy game, like the win at UConn. However, I would like to see us avoid letting them dictate the tempo of the game. 

They prefer to do most of their scoring inside the 3 point line, as only two guys are shooting good percentages, Ingram and Key. Speaking of those two, they are their best players, Hale and Taylor are solid players inside, but Ingram can be dynamic at times. I'm not sure what CBP plans match-up-wise, but Harper could struggle to guard him when matched up there. In any event, they don't score many points, only averaging 68 per game. 

We should have our chances to score during this game. Norris will have a hard time guarding Heron, Purifoy, and/or Dunans, and I think Wiley could have another good night based on match ups. They play good team defense, so ball movement will be important, and I would expect to see them play multiple defenses against us. 

We have 3 common league opponents, Vandy, LSU and Mizzou they have beaten all three, and their wins vs LSU and Mizzou were more impressive than ours. I would say that we will have to play better than we have in the last few games to get this win. There have been signs that could happen, and the return of Purifoy sure would help. IF he does in fact return, I will be watching his minutes and the rotations closely, if he isn't close to 90% or so, his return could hurt more than help.

I really like the way Dunans played vs LSU, and hope to see that balanced production continue. Would like to see Heron get more touches, and to continue increasing Wiley's touches. I think our talent will find enough points to win, the question here is can we rebound the ball. Bama's best chance of winning is to control the boards, we can't allow that to happen. 

War Eagle. 

• Like 3

Thanks. Good job as always. This game matters so much, not just for rivalry reasons but for how this season is likely to play out. A win here and AU could be considered back in business. A loss and it might send things spiraling. 

Hooe these you guys are ready! Looking forward to it for sure.

This is huge. A win and we're feeling really good heading into next week but a lose could really set us back. Don't have a good feeling about this one but I think we can pull it out. Will be a fun game to watch. WDE

I'm not concerned about the rest of the season. The game tomorrow is our season. This is the Alabama game, and it's at home. We have to protect home court in this rivalry and start dominating the series. We have the talent. Our guys have to step it up and play their best game tomorrow. WAR EAGLE!!

• Like 1

When we're on we can beat them, when we're not we can't. The life of a jump shooting team, we're getting better though. Just need a few more upgrades

8 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Alabama vs. Auburn (M Basketball)

Auburn (12-6, 2-4) vs. Alabama (11-6, 4-1)

• Saturday, January 21st
  • ESPN2 / WatchESPN
  • Auburn Arena
  • Tickets

The Iron Bowl of basketball is upon us, as is a great chance to bring our league record to within one game of .500 (3-4). A win here could put us in the top half of the league and one step closer to getting back in the post season discussion.  With the rumors of the return of Purifoy swirling, it makes previewing the game a challenge not knowing that to expect. It also makes setting the line more difficult, but I would put this game at AU -1, but would not be suprised if the line opens within a few points in either direction of that. 

Bama has been playing well of late (6-1 in their last seven), after a disappointing start, currently sitting at 11-6 overall, 4-1 in the league, and 83 in the RPI. This is a match up of very different styles. Bama is slow (all kidding aside), they play a very slow pace, while we like to push the pace. They aren't very big, but they play a physical brand of ball, and will be a challenge physcially for some of our lighter guys like Lang, Smith, Spencer, and Harper. We will have to be ready for a scrappy game, like the win at UConn. However, I would like to see us avoid letting them dictate the tempo of the game. 

They prefer to do most of their scoring inside the 3 point line, as only two guys are shooting good percentages, Ingram and Key. Speaking of those two, they are their best players, Hale and Taylor are solid players inside, but Ingram can be dynamic at times. I'm not sure what CBP plans match-up-wise, but Harper could struggle to guard him when matched up there. In any event, they don't score many points, only averaging 68 per game. 

We should have our chances to score during this game. Norris will have a hard time guarding Heron, Purifoy, and/or Dunans, and I think Wiley could have another good night based on match ups. They play good team defense, so ball movement will be important, and I would expect to see them play multiple defenses against us. 

We have 3 common league opponents, Vandy, LSU and Mizzou they have beaten all three, and their wins vs LSU and Mizzou were more impressive than ours. I would say that we will have to play better than we have in the last few games to get this win. There have been signs that could happen, and the return of Purifoy sure would help. IF he does in fact return, I will be watching his minutes and the rotations closely, if he isn't close to 90% or so, his return could hurt more than help.

I really like the way Dunans played vs LSU, and hope to see that balanced production continue. Would like to see Heron get more touches, and to continue increasing Wiley's touches. I think our talent will find enough points to win, the question here is can we rebound the ball. Bama's best chance of winning is to control the boards, we can't allow that to happen. 

War Eagle. 

Good analysis, especially about rebounding. Sometimes it appears Auburn can't spell rebound, let alone do it.  Hopefully, they will work the boards against the turds.

9 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Good observation and the easily what gets me most fired up about this game. My hope is that Bama comes in over confident thinking they got us and we come in like we're playing Kentucky ready to ball out. Arch rivals at home, crowd will be raucous. This could be the game where we really establish our identity and style of play and really come together as a team. Lots at stake here! WDE!

One reason this game is important: 

2014-2015 we were 10-8 at this point and we went on to lose our next three games. 

2015-2016 we were coming off back to back wins vs Kentucky and Alabama, and were 9-9; we went on to lose our next six games. 

This one loss doesn't make or break our season. But if we want to turn a corner, move this program forward, we need these type of wins. 

We don't need our best game today to win, but we need better than we played so far in the league. 

As as an update the vegas line is out and it is an even pick'em. 

• Like 1

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

We seem to continue to play up or down to our opponent and  have struggled to keep scoring guards in check.

Maybe this is the game we grow up and finally figure out we belong here and can play with anybody.  

Time to play to our potential and not playing to someone else's. 

OBTW: Last I looked BC giving UNC a run today.  Kind of makes that loss a little less painful.

Purifoy is warming up and expected to play, and AU has moved to a 1 point favorite as predicted. 

Let's get this W. 

7 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

One reason this game is important: 

2014-2015 we were 10-8 at this point and we went on to lose our next three games. 

2015-2016 we were coming off back to back wins vs Kentucky and Alabama, and were 9-9; we went on to lose our next six games. 

This one loss doesn't make or break our season. But if we want to turn a corner, move this program forward, we need these type of wins

We don't need our best game today to win, but we need better than we played so far in the league. 

As as an update the vegas line is out and it is an even pick'em. 

Grew up a little bit today.

Hopefully this is the springboard we'll need to continue to improve.

5 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Grew up a little bit today.

Hopefully this is the springboard we'll need to continue to improve.

I saw the team play like they haven't played before today. Wiley is figuring it out and realizing his strengths, and minus a handful of lapses on defense and some bad shots, we just played so sharp. Love to see that!

ETA: can we not get a post game thread going?

Edited by AUTigersfan89