"A chance to win a championship'

aubiefifty

Gus Malzahn feels Auburn's 'got a chance to win a championship'

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Auburn has played in two national championship games in the last seven years, and head coach Gus Malzahn has a feeling the Tigers could be in the conversation again soon.

Malzahn, entering his fifth season as head coach and eighth overall at Auburn, reeled in another top 10 recruiting class last week on National Signing Day. Twenty-three players he feels will add to an already solid foundation.

"We have quality depth here, really probably quality depth in all three phases, maybe for the first time since I've been here," Malzahn said at the tail end of Auburn's National Signing Day broadcast. "So, there won't be the stress on these guys to to come in and do it immediately. Now, a lot of these guys will help and a lot of these guys will be in the mix, but our just depth -- our depth's in great shape as far as our program. Add in this group to what we've got, I mean I think we've got a chance to really do something special in the next three or four years."

Nine players in Auburn's 2017 recruiting class are already enrolled, including transfer quarterback Jarrett Stidham. The four-star dual-threat played his freshman season at Baylor in 2015. Now on the Plains, he is expected to compete with returning starter Sean White and backup John Franklin III for the starting job in Auburn's spring practices and fall camp.

Other highly-sought after prospects Auburn landed in the 2017 recruiting cycle include five-star offensive tackle Calvin Ashley, four-star running back Devan Barrett, four-star linebacker T.D. Moultry and four-star defensive end Markaviest Bryant.

Meet the new Auburn Tigers: 23 signees in 2017 class

Meet the new Auburn Tigers: 23 signees in 2017 class

The Tigers signed 23 players for Gus Malzahn's fifth straight top 10 recruiting class

Most of Auburn's signees won't be on campus until the summer, but spring practice is right around the corner. Auburn will return to the practice field Feb. 28, and Malzahn is eager to see what lies ahead. 

"Our offensive staff's going to get right back at it and get ready," he said. "I'm ready to get back on the field with the guys and I think our guys are too. You can just kind of sense that excitement when you've got a chance to win a championship you kind of sense that excitement from a coaches standpoint and a player's standpoint. We're ready to get out there."

Auburn won the BCS National Championship Game in 2010 with a win over Oregon when Malzahn was serving as offensive coordinator. The Tigers returned the championship in 2013, his first year as head coach, but fell to Florida State. Since then, the Tigers went 8-5 in 2014, 7-6 in 2015 and 8-5 last season.

Last month a number of national media outlets posted "way-too-early" college football rankings for 2017 and Auburn was pegged as high as 11th and as low as 19th

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's the phrasing but based on the majority of this board's opinions, he may not have three to four years to make something special happen. 

for some reason john wayne in true grit comes to mind...." that's bold talk for a one eyed fat man"  lol   just a joke aubies do not get your knickers all canked up............

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Maybe it's the phrasing but based on the majority of this board's opinions, he may not have three to four years to make something special happen. 

Hopefully he means that all of the next 3-4 years will be special.

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

He said that last summer.  The next 3-4 seasons are about to be Auburns best.  So far in those best seasons he is 8-5.   Also last summer he stated that fans are ready to see a return investment on all that talent the staff has recruited.  Again, 8-5.  We are still waiting.

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I hope so. Improvement year to year and a championship in three years would be awesome also. 

12 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

We finally have the players, in all positions, to make the Iron Bowl decide who wins the SEC Championship for at least the next 2 years... if we can reload in the meantime, it could become a perpetual thing.

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I think it is pretty obvious he does not have 3-4 years to win and it is not just the fan's opinion. When the board/AD start to meddle, the leash is short. 2017 needs to be special. Maybe not win it all but we need big improvement, including a win over uga. If no improvement, you are going to see our recruiting take a nosedive. 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

We finally have the players, in all positions, to make the Iron Bowl decide who wins the SEC Championship for at least the next 2 years... if we can reload in the meantime, it could become a perpetual thing.

I hope so because I am sick and tired of Malzahns and Jacobs excuses.

i know you guys hate the "site". i understand. i have been to several sites this morning and they have the only new articles out. once again my intent is not tp promote that site but to give us all something new to talk about. shrugs try not to make a big deal out of it. just want to see new discussions...........

Everyone here knows I'm a huge Gus supporter but he needs to shut the frick up about hyping his teams or any player.  He has put himself on the bubble of the hot seat with all this talk.  Without his "NFL QB" talk about JJ6 maybe the fall in 2015 ain't so hard.  Plus he's been saying the future is bright since 2014.  Go do it coach and stop talking about it.  Go win some games against our 3 main rivals now because the last decade our record against bammer, UGA, and LSU is putrid.

I can understand confidence but you never know what might happen with a team, players fail out/transfer, get in trouble, don't live up to expectations, and of course injuries.  

So next tim Gus please just say we hope to get better every day and every year.

War Eagle 

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i know you guys hate the "site". i understand. i have been to several sites this morning and they have the only new articles out. once again my intent is not tp promote that site but to give us all something new to talk about. shrugs try not to make a big deal out of it. just want to see new discussions...........

What site?

20 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Everyone here knows I'm a huge Gus supporter but he needs to shut the frick up about hyping his teams or any player.  He has put himself on the bubble of the hot seat with all this talk.  Without his "NFL QB" talk about JJ6 maybe the fall in 2015 ain't so hard.  Plus he's been saying the future is bright since 2014.  Go do it coach and stop talking about it.  Go win some games against our 3 main rivals now because the last decade our record against bammer, UGA, and LSU is putrid.

I can understand confidence but you never know what might happen with a team, players fail out/transfer, get in trouble, don't live up to expectations, and of course injuries.  

War Eagle 

Nailed it. Agree completely. 

50 minutes ago, corchjay said:

War Eagle 

Amen!

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So Wesley misquoted him to make the headline click bait.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Gus Malzahn feels Auburn's 'got a chance to win a championship'

"Our offensive staff's going to get right back at it and get ready," he said. "I'm ready to get back on the field with the guys and I think our guys are too. You can just kind of sense that excitement when you've got a chance to win a championship you kind of sense that excitement from a coaches standpoint and a player's standpoint. We're ready to get out there."

:dunno:

i am willing to bet he knows saying something like this just put more heat on him. so i believe him knowing that and saying that he might have great reasons to think that/

Archived