Ole Miss Post Game

tigerbrotha12

Not really sure why Ronnie Johnson isnt playing 80% of the time at point guard .   He is a good bit better than  Harper.   We need someone like Harper when the game is out of hand because he could get us back in it.   This many freshmen you need a veteran like Johnson at point .   I know nothing about basketball and I know that .

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, douggwilliams said:

Not really sure why Ronnie Johnson isnt playing 80% of the time at point guard .   He is a good bit better than  Harper.   We need someone like Harper when the game is out of hand because he could get us back in it.   This many freshmen you need a veteran like Johnson at point .   I know nothing about basketball and I know that .

Because he's one and done and Harper is the show next year. This year has always been about next year. 

2 minutes ago, douggwilliams said:

You're missing the point .   Bruce Pearl is the best thing to ever happen to Auburn basketball,  but he is not an in game coach.   We don't have an in game coach .   We need to go get an in game coach 

He's doing better IMO....called a couple of well timed time outs when OM started their run...and again later....previously he just put the players on the floor and let them "do their thing" ....and sometimes watched as big leads just evaporated.  

To his credit, unfortunately it was a wasted time out I guess because despite the effort to slow the Reb's momentum, nothing much changed when the guys went back to the game....continued to turn the ball over, nobody chased rebounds and nobody played even a modest defense in the area around the basket allowing OM to score an unknown number of mostly uncontested baskets.  

And JMO, but the worst defense or explanation for our current situation is what some coach did 4 years ago....totally meaningless....no a single player from the Barbee days since he mostly ran them off....AND more importantly to our current circumstances is that he has maybe 2 players from his first year as a coach....and by the way....did Lang play tonight...can't recall seeing him on the floor? 

Not saying get rid of him or anything of the sort....but expectations are set pretty low by many AU people who want to fire a football coach who finished 2nd in the SEC west.

2 plays down the stretch would have really helped give us a chance to tie.  When you get a chance at a 4 point play to spark a comeback, you have to make the free throw! Then Wiley missed his 3 point play at the end as well.  That kept the lead at 2 scores after the foul and FTS by OM. Never could get the ball down 1 score. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not saying get rid of him or anything of the sort....but expectations are set pretty low by many AU people who want to fire a football coach who finished 2nd in the SEC west.

You can't be seriously equating these 2. Football isn't on the same trajectory basketball is. And it's not like Bruce is trying Harlem Globetrotter tricks to try and score points. 

25 minutes ago, Altima said:

For those who are pissed off with the coaches... just stop!  There is LITERALLY no one on god's green earth who could do any more for Auburn Basketball than Bruce Pearl has done in less than 3 years.

AU is not a basketball school... and it sure as hell isn't gonna become one overnight.  He has brought excitement to this program that we haven't seen before!  Should we be lucky enough to have Bruce stay here for a long time, he WILL succeed!  He's a winner, he WILL win... but it will take time (expecially at a place like Auburn).

Yes, getting rid of BP should be the last thought on everyone's mind. But, he has got to look at the mistakes he made tonight, as I pointed out in earlier posts and the next time we have a 20 point lead, don't make the same mistakes made tonight. If he doesn't learn from his mistakes, neither he nor our team will improve.

17 minutes ago, douggwilliams said:

You're missing the point .   Bruce Pearl is the best thing to ever happen to Auburn basketball,  but he is not an in game coach.   We don't have an in game coach .   We need to go get an in game coach 

People don't come to play basketball for a recruiting coordinator. Bruce has been to the NCAAs ALOT. He knows what he's doing and how to teach the game. These are kids who haven't even been with him through and off season, except Lane and Dunans, and if you can't tell those two are better than last year, then I don't know what to tell you. 

I think bruce knows this team is soft as kleenex mentally and he knows he cannot go full boar like he could on the DAWGS he had at rocky top and push them with some tough love and tough coaching. He has had to walk a fine line with how rough he can be on them with his criticism. When he said after the bama game he would only be positive to his players to the sec network guys in his interview after the game that was telling. Those dudes he had at UT in tyler smith and wayne chism and others were some DOGS. Junkyard dogs. They played tough and nothing rattled them.  They played good defense and played so hard every game. Purifoy whining about the fans being to mean to him on twitter after 1 of our losses was eye opening. I mean come on dude. Have some thick skin. No fanbase loves their team more win or lose and is more positive than ours. None of our more talented guys give it their all on defense. The effort is just not there. Thats all there is to it. When a team smacks them in the mouth and goes on a run they do not respond well. Hopefully by next year they grow up and get a lot better in these areas. Bruce is not the problem whatsoever. He is easily the solution its the players and their mentality that is the problem.

2nd half frustrations. Teams have scored 50 or more points in the second half 7 times this season against Auburn.

53 with a loss and AU was down by 2 at half

51 and AU won

53 with a loss and AU up by 8 at half

55 with a loss and AU up by 8 at half

50 with a loss and AU down by 19 at half

64 with a win and AU up by 20 at half

63 with a loss and AU up by 20 at half

Has it been bad defense or just great offense by the other teams?  Maybe a combo of both but for some reason on several occasions the same team that played in the first half did not show up in the second half.

I dont think anyone is wrong to question coaching. At some point you have to. We cant be "next year is the year" every year. We have talent. They just dont play well together and that situation is tough on any coach. Same with Kentucky. Not saying we should be leading the league in wins, but some of these losses just shouldnt be happening how they are happening.

58 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If you saw the game, AU shot mostly 3 point shots and did not force OM to play defense.   By and large, we did not go to the hole and force the action.  OM killed us inside and nobody was able to actually stop them....lazy defense and generally out of position players grabbing at the shooters. .

AU's style of play was  the primary cause of the foul disparity....and lazy defense in the second half. 

Auburn does fall in love with the three

40 minutes ago, jared52 said:

People don't come to play basketball for a recruiting coordinator. Bruce has been to the NCAAs ALOT. He knows what he's doing and how to teach the game. These are kids who haven't even been with him through and off season, except Lane and Dunans, and if you can't tell those two are better than last year, then I don't know what to tell you. 

That  was in jest.  Hes  the leader of the program and a great spokesperson for all of AU.   I'm talking about assistant coaches to do what he cannot 

13 minutes ago, douggwilliams said:

That  was in jest.  Hes  the leader of the program and a great spokesperson for all of AU.   I'm talking about assistant coaches to do what he cannot 

I do honestly believe we do not have a strong staff behind bruce pearl. chad dollar and chuck person are known recruiters. Tacticians? jury still out. Maybe and this is just speculating Toney Jones was the big schemer on all those UT teams for pearl and he is missing all that he brought to the table.

This team has a bi-polar personality. It is maddening to watch them at times. Hopefully next year, with a year of maturity and experience under their belts, our young team will not play so erratic.

Still no excuse to blow a 20 point halftime lead.

What do you think happens with a small jump shot team? Once the shots don't fall you lose. Period. And you guys that cried for the small line up can't then cry about the defense, at least from Purifoy. And many of you talked about how good Brown was on defense......dude was 11-13....

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

What do you think happens with a small jump shot team? Once the shots don't fall you lose. Period. And you guys that cried for the small line up can't then cry about the defense, at least from Purifoy. And many of you talked about how good Brown was on defense......dude was 11-13....

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

You can't be seriously equating these 2. Football isn't on the same trajectory basketball is. And it's not like Bruce is trying Harlem Globetrotter tricks to try and score points. 

He's been setting this up all year. It's like I told you if you like a coach you'll find a way to make a case if you don't like him well you'll do that too

14 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Are you ever positive? It's always " and you guys" with you! You've gotall the answers, I'm sure!

I'm the only one that seems to be positive with this team but do you.

And yes I have plenty of answers. I can tell you EXACTLY why we lose or win a game. No problem

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He's been setting this up all year. It's like I told you if you like a coach you'll find a way to make a case if you don't like him well you'll do that too

I'm not sure if you've told me that before but this isn't about "liking" Gus. I like Gus, he's just not an SEC caliber coach at this point. Bruce clearly is and has the pedigree to prove it. Gus has a flash in the pan and several disappointing years. 

I've said this before, and thinking about it again I believe strength and conditioning is one of the main factors of this team not playing well in the second half.  You can see the fatigue set in with this team in the second half, hence why there is so many mental errors.  I know this is not the only factor, but I believe it is one of the main factors for poor play as the game goes on.

Auburn may want to reevaluate the strength and conditioning program.  I see the same issues with the football team as well.

Unbelievable how they blew this game after almost blowing 2 others just like it. I don't know what the problem is with this team. But there are major problems and I really hope pearl gets it fixed for next year. Thank goodness I didn't watch that second half. 

Cheer up! We are improving. Back in January we played an entire game at Vandy the same way we played the 2nd halves vs. Ole Miss and MSU. We were stinking it up for entire games but now we're just doing it for a half. See, we're improving!

Archived