Scrimmage 03/25/2017

aufan57

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GUS MALZAHN

-- "We had a good scrimmage today." Ran more than 100 plays. Did 1s-on-1s for 54 plays, 2s-on-2s for 57 plays.

-- Worked on a lot of base schemes.

-- Young quarterbacks went live: Woody Barrett and Malik Willis.

-- Eli Stove, Ryan Davis and John Franklin III each got a chance to return a punt.

-- No major injuries.

-- "It was good for us as coaches and players to see where we're at. There's nothing like live football."

-- Stidham did not go live because Auburn's coaching staff has more information on him.

-- Chip Lindsey got "some good information" on Willis and Barrett going live.

-- John Franklin III made a couple of catches. "He's still learning the position, but he's a veteran guy." Malzahn notes he has a good idea of splits and timing.

-- Malzahn said things "were pretty even" between first-team offense and defense."

-- On Stidham: "He got some things that Chip will work on correcting the rest of spring.... It was good for him."

-- On the pace with Chip Lindsey: "I thought after the first series or two, they really started to get in some tempo, but that's a process... There's some teaching moments off today's scrimmage that can definitely help with the tempo moving forward."

-- Sixty percent run, 40 percent pass today. Typically, Auburn goes 80/20 on the split in the first scrimmage.

-- Deep plays downfield: "There was a handful of deep shots downfield in the vertical passing game" -- about 8-10.

-- Sean White did 7-on-7 and warmed up a bit. Malzahn said "he's progressing well."

-- Stidham have momentum with first-team offense? "They're splitting time on 7-on-7... but he's getting a lot of reps with the ones."

-- Still no plan to name a starter this spring. "Don't read anything into that," Malzahn said.

-- Malzahn makes a point to praise Willis and Barrett. Willis showed off athleticism and ability to escape pressure. "Just how they react to certain situations when they got to think trough the process... Chip got some good information off those guys."

-- On running back: "Most of the guys" got an opportunity to secure the football. Kam Martin and Malik Miller got "a bulk" of the carries. Neither fumbled.

-- On the receivers: Both John Franklin III and Will Hastings made some plays, according to Malzahn.

-- Herb Hand did some mixing and matching along the offensive line "just to get a few new faces in with that first group."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/03/live_updates_gus_malzahn_recap_17.html

-- On the pace with Chip Lindsey: "I thought after the first series or two, they really started to get in some tempo, but that's a process... There's some teaching moments off today's scrimmage that can definitely help with the tempo moving forward."

Tempo ,without execution, is disastrous for a defense and death for an offense...

12 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Anyone attend the scrimmage today?? If so any analysis?? I mean real honest analysis. Glad nobody got hurt 

Buddy of mine is going to be a freshman next fall and he's working as a trainer. Said that Stidham looked really good, Pettway didn't get a lot of reps, and Malik could be our #2 

11 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Anyone attend the scrimmage today?? If so any analysis?? I mean real honest analysis. Glad nobody got hurt 

Didn't get to go but Bubba (far left) is huge.

IMG_1298.JPG

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Buddy of mine is going to be a freshman next fall and he's working as a trainer. Said that Stidham looked really good, Pettway didn't get a lot of reps, and Malik could be our #2 

Man so woody really has fallen out of favor...

I like the 60/40 split. It should be interesting to see how they utilize jfIII and Hastings..But I surely don't want to see jfIII on punt return.. Would give me too much anxiety.

1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

-- Young quarterbacks went live: Woody Barrett and Malik Willis.

Thank God, maybe Chip is changing things for the better.

-- Stidham did not go live because Auburn's coaching staff has more information on him.

Agree this time - no way you can afford to lose you only basket of eggs.

-- Stidham have momentum with first-team offense? "They're splitting time on 7-on-7... but he's getting a lot of reps with the ones."

-- Still no plan to name a starter this spring. "Don't read anything into that," Malzahn said.

Please CGM just shut up and quit trying to prolong the charade of a QB battle.  We know who it will be, and we know you prolong the illusion as long as you think is feasible. 

10 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Wait are you talking about Malik Miller or Malik Willis?

7 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Tempo ,without execution, is disastrous for a defense and death for an offense...

We really need to improve our execution to sustain drives and let our defense rest. Execution doesn't improve with tempo...Tempo improves with execution...it is nice when a team marries the two...we have had too many games where we did not...

8 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Man so woody really has fallen out of favor...

I believe if I am reading this correct he is talking about Miller.

5 hours ago, aufan57 said:

"What helped for the defense, however, was Chip Lindsey's offensive approach. Players have been clear throughout the spring that passing the ball is a priority. New passing concepts have been introduced and running backs and tight ends will play more significant roles in the air attack.

Davis believes that this helps both sides of the ball during scrimmages.

“It’s a lot more work for us," Davis said. "Just a chance for us to get better defensively and work on our skills. It’s actually a good thing for both the offense and the defense because it shows more diversity for our offense, and for us, defensively, we get a chance to work on our skills more and really prepare more for the game.”\

That quote...

20-80 doesn't help them to prepare? :sarcasm:

So what are practices for. I am blown away sometimes. It's weird when one of our best cornerbacks is glad we are throwing it during practice so they can you know...practice.

AUBURN, Ala. — The way Gus Malzahn was talking Saturday, it appeared at any moment he would refer to Jarrett Stidham as Auburn’s starting quarterback.

After all, the Baylor transfer took every first-team snap with the offense and spoke highly of the rusty-but-impressive quarterback. Then, he threw in a caveat following the first scrimmage of the spring: do not read too much into what he was saying.

Auburn will not name a starting quarterback after spring drills, especially with incumbent Starter Sean White not yet cleared to compete in 11-on-11 drills. Meanwhile, Stidham is taking every first-team snap in 11-on-11 drills as redshirt freshman Woody Barrett and freshman Malik Willis alternate in practices and the scrimmage.

“No, no, it hasn’t changed,” Malzahn said. “Don’t read anything into that. It is what it is: Sean White can’t go 11-on-11. And I’m going to say this too: the two young guys, you can see them continuously getting better. And I know (offensive coordinator) Chip (Lindsey), from time to time, has rotated those guys with that group, too. It was good. I know they got a lot of good information out of the two young guys.”

Willis led the offense to three or four touchdowns on his possessions Saturday inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

White and Stidham will split first-team reps in August, when White is healthy. The rising junior underwent surgery to repair a broken forearm he suffered in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2 and is still recovering.

“They’re splitting time in 7-on-7, and then Sean’s doing all the drills,” Malzahn said. “He’s getting a lot of reps with the ones.”

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Checking-the-pulse-of-the-Auburn-Tigers-quarterback-competition-51969781

1 hour ago, api1957 said:

Didn't get to go but Bubba (far left) is huge.

IMG_1298.JPG

Would love to see bubba get just a hair faster . Great stable of RBs.. 

40 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

"What helped for the defense, however, was Chip Lindsey's offensive approach. Players have been clear throughout the spring that passing the ball is a priority. New passing concepts have been introduced and running backs and tight ends will play more significant roles in the air attack.

Davis believes that this helps both sides of the ball during scrimmages.

“It’s a lot more work for us," Davis said. "Just a chance for us to get better defensively and work on our skills. It’s actually a good thing for both the offense and the defense because it shows more diversity for our offense, and for us, defensively, we get a chance to work on our skills more and really prepare more for the game.”\

That quote...

20-80 doesn't help them to prepare? 

So what are practices for. I am blown away sometimes. It's weird when one of our best cornerbacks is glad we are throwing it during practice so they can you know...practice.

He's saying that with AUBURN passing more in practice/scrimmages, it'll help the defense defend that. Instead of 80% of the plays being a run, 60% run gives you a ton more passing plays to defend. It's a good thing. Imagine how much better we'll be against an Ole Miss style pass offense if we scrimmage against it more.

7 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He's saying that with AUBURN passing more in practice/scrimmages, it'll help the defense defend that. Instead of 80% of the plays being a run, 60% run gives you a ton more passing plays to defend. It's a good thing. Imagine how much better we'll be against an Ole Miss style pass offense if we scrimmage against it more.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Thank God, maybe Chip is changing things for the better.

Agree this time - no way you can afford to lose you only basket of eggs.

Please CGM just shut up and quit trying to prolong the charade of a QB battle.  We know who it will be, and we know you prolong the illusion as long as you think is feasible. 

I just think he's trying to give sean a fair shake...We all know that he limits the offense and he might just have to show tough love and give him the 2nd string.

1 hour ago, Howarjk said:

I believe if I am reading this correct he is talking about Miller.

Was wondering this same thing, if he was talking about Miller or Willis. I understand Johnson and Pettway not getting many reps because we know what they can do, but I can't see Miller passing them in depth chart. Unless we are speaking in a way that Johnson and Pettway are one-one, Miller two, and Martin third. That would make sense. I could however see  Willis passing Barrett in depth. Just off practice videos I've seen, something about Willis seems intriguing. He seems like he has a natural skill set for a QB. I'm excited and interested to see all this play out. AU has got the players that's for sure, now let's hope AU has the coaching. 

He can't name a starter until Sean is given the chance to compete for the job. Yes, everyone in the world knows it will be one of the two, and most likely which one, but both need the chance. If not it will cause animosity amongst the team. We need to remember how much Sean is loved by his teammates. It needs to appear he is given every opportunity to winbor lose the starting position.

Archived