2019 5* PG Ashton Hagans

ellitor

Auburn 'in the top' for Ashton Hagans

Jeffrey Lee | Senior Editor

Vwhnicctkocouppey4xw
Ashton Hagans visited Auburn with Game Elite teammates Christian Brown and Jaylin Williams.
Jeffrey Lee/AuburnSports.com

AUBURN | Four-star point guard Ashton Hagans took advantage of the opportunity to attend the Chuck Person Shooting Camp in Auburn on Sunday.

Sure, he toured the Tigers’ campus and facilities again, and he met with coach Bruce Pearl, but he also learned from Person, Pearl’s associate head coach and one of the most prolific scorers in Auburn history.

“I learned a lot of new things,” Hagans said. “That was a good feeling. I feel like my shot got a lot better.”

Hagans, who is ranked the No. 32 overall player in the 2019 class, owes his improvement to Person.

“He’s a great coach, a great shooter, one of the best shooters of all-time,” Hagans said. “He taught me how to shoot better. I got better because of him.”

Hagans already had developed a bond with Person. The visit Sunday was more about building on that bond and improving his game. Person has been recruiting Hagans for more than two years.

The relationships with Person and Pearl, as well as the other Auburn coaches and the family vibe, has the Tigers heavily in the mix for Hagans.

“Auburn is in the top,” Hagans said. “I’ve been here a lot and I like how the coaches talk to you. They treat you like you’re their son. And the players come talk to you and they treat you like a real brother.”

Hagans is transferring this fall from Newton (Covington, Ga.) to Oak Hill in Mouth of Wilson, Va., but the distance won’t keep him from returning to Auburn.

Hagans, who is 6-foot-4 and weighs 190 pounds, has offers from Auburn, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Tennessee, Georgia and Oklahoma State, among others. He’s also receiving heavy interest from Kentucky, Louisville and USC.

Hagans doesn’t plan to make an early decision, but Auburn will be a major factor when a decision is made.

“I like it at Auburn,” Hagans said. “I’ll be back.”

Ashton is a beast. 

I see 24/7 still has his CB at 100% Uk. Hopefully the recent visits paired with the interest Brown is showing can help us chip away at that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Corey Evans gives Hagans the "The Headache Inducer" award from his play at the NBPA: Top 100 camp. Pretty good little read. Seems like he's already quite the defender. 

THE HEADACHE INDUCER

Hagans led the entire camp in assists by a wide margin, but what really separates him is just how dominant he is on the defensive end of the floor. Very rarely does a young prospect like Hagans base his basketball identity around his defensive efforts, but that is exactly what the Game Elite product is all about. He will lock you up for 94 feet and use his energy, length, lateral skills and quick twitch abilities to achieve 10-second calls, that is if his defender can even get that far. Averaging close to two steals per game, Hagans has shades of Elfrid Payton to his game and for his opponents, makes life a living hell, forcing them to bring Advil courtside.

Recruitment: Practically the entire SEC is already on Hagans as Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Auburn and Alabama may have put in the most work up until now. Auburn is the latest program to have him on campus, though several of the bluebloods have begun to show interest.

6'4" PG who plays nasty defense and who led the entire camp in assists.  This kid is a game changer come on BP pull him in.

• 4 weeks later...

It's still early on but Hagans got a big bump in the new rivals rankings. Now a top 10 player according them (top 25 for both ESPN and 247)

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hearing good things about AH going to be very hard time will tell

Yup, everyone is going to want this kid if they don't already. I'm glad we were in on him early. That plus his (and our) good relationship(s) with Christian Brown might give us a decent shot at both of them. 

6 hours ago, Charhair said:

Yup, everyone is going to want this kid if they don't already. I'm glad we were in on him early. That plus his (and our) good relationship(s) with Christian Brown might give us a decent shot at both of them. 

Would be fantastic 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is what we need to expect if we plan on landing recruits like Hagans and Brown but Coach Pearl (and/or his staff) have been going everywhere that those two play. 

Rivals had an interview with Ashton but i couldn't get the video to load. Anybody know what he said about AU?

• 2 weeks later...

Evans' Takeaways: Saturday action at Adidas Nations

ASHTON HAGANS IS ELFRID PAYTON

Ashton Hagans has continued his ascension up the rankings and while his jump shot remains a work in progress, it was nice to see him nail the perimeter jumper whenever the defense decided to go under the ball screen on Saturday evening. While his shot remains the primary hold-up with his game, the other portions of it remain peerless.

Comparable to Elfrid Payton, Hagans brings ideal size, toughness and playmaking to the floor. He is so shifty and explosive with his first step that it can get him into trouble as he gets into the teeth of the defense before his teammates have the chance to get open. Because of it, his turnover numbers can be mediocre but, just like Payton, it is his unlimited reservoirs of toughness, energy and defensive prowess that make him someone that you cannot have on the bench.

North Carolina is the most recent offer for Hagans. The Tar Heels will be a heavy favorite for Hagans, though Auburn remains the program to beat as its head coach, Bruce Pearl, made it a point to be at nearly all of Hagans' Game Elite 2019 games last month. Along with the Tigers, Florida State, Georgia, and many others throughout the Southeast have already made Hagans a priority.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/evans-takeaways-saturday-action-at-adidas-nations

45 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Evans' Takeaways: Saturday action at Adidas Nations

ASHTON HAGANS IS ELFRID PAYTON

Ashton Hagans has continued his ascension up the rankings and while his jump shot remains a work in progress, it was nice to see him nail the perimeter jumper whenever the defense decided to go under the ball screen on Saturday evening. While his shot remains the primary hold-up with his game, the other portions of it remain peerless.

Comparable to Elfrid Payton, Hagans brings ideal size, toughness and playmaking to the floor. He is so shifty and explosive with his first step that it can get him into trouble as he gets into the teeth of the defense before his teammates have the chance to get open. Because of it, his turnover numbers can be mediocre but, just like Payton, it is his unlimited reservoirs of toughness, energy and defensive prowess that make him someone that you cannot have on the bench.

North Carolina is the most recent offer for Hagans. The Tar Heels will be a heavy favorite for Hagans, though Auburn remains the program to beat as its head coach, Bruce Pearl, made it a point to be at nearly all of Hagans' Game Elite 2019 games last month. Along with the Tigers, Florida State, Georgia, and many others throughout the Southeast have already made Hagans a priority.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/evans-takeaways-saturday-action-at-adidas-nations

Wow, if we can pull this guys in, it would make Pearl one of the best recruiters we've had at AU. Congrats coach for the hard work of pursuing this young man.:hellyeah::bow:

On 8/7/2017 at 9:49 AM, Timeslider 6 said:

Wow, if we can pull this guys in, it would make Pearl one of the best recruiters we've had at AU. Congrats coach for the hard work of pursuing this young man.:hellyeah::bow:

It would just further cement his status.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

kirby recruit him too? This ish is getting ridiculous. When it rain it pours. Mark Fox is a worse recruiter than lebo and all of sudden he gets a stud like this? GMAFB. 

As long as there is a 'cloud' over the basketball program we'll never get any high rated recruits...would you come if the coaches recruiting you could be gone???? Just the facts...

Archived