Most Dems would consider third-party presidential candidate in 2020: Poll

DKW 86

Most Dems would consider third-party presidential candidate in 2020: Poll

An icitizen survey released Monday found that most Democrats — 60 percent — were likely to consider voting for a third-party presidential candidate in three years, compared with just 29 percent of Republicans. Among unaffiliated voters, the figure was 76 percent. The online survey of 1,176 adults, which weighted responses to align with U.S. Census demographic benchmarks, comes with the Democratic Party establishment grappling with its rising left wing.That split was exemplified by the hard-fought 2016 presidential primary between former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Vermont Sen. Bernard Sanders, a progressive favorite. “With news of a petition to ‘Draft Bernie [Sanders] For President,’ many groups are looking to create a new party and make a run in 2020,” said the icitizen analysis. The poll had good news for Berniecrats, Libertarians and Greens: 70 percent of those surveyed agreed that third parties are necessary and that the two major parties “do not represent them well.”

This is a very good thing. Getting rid of the corrupt 2 Party System is always a good thing.

It is both good and bad. If the third party candidate is strong liberal somebody like Bernie Sanders it will hurt the Democrats and help the Republicans. A strong conservative candidate would help the Democrats and hurt the Republicans. Remember Ross Perot. The problem with third party candidates is they don't have a true party behind them. If a third party is to become viable it needs to start at lower levels and build a base to support people for higher offices. They always fail because they try and start at the top and work down.  That type of candidate helps one party and hurts the other.

I love the idea of a third party but I am sorry I don't see it happening.

I'm no political scientist but I question if our system can function with multiple parties.  

To put it another way, two major parties may be more of a function or outcome of our electoral and government system than a function of what we might prefer in terms of choice.

I have a feel that any third party that is seriously competitive is destined to be absorbed into one of the big two.  

It's not like either major party is resistance to change given some time.  The Democrats became the party of big business under Clinton and - thanks to the tea party - the GOP has completely lost their way both in ideology and ability to actually govern.

But if a third party does emerge, I expect it will come from the progressive side of spectrum and ultimately be absorbed by the Democrats.  It would be an opportunity for them. 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Other Democracies have more than two parties.

Other democracies have different election systems also, like run-offs.

What happens to us if three or more candidates split the electoral vote?

27 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Lets wait till we get there first. 

It's called a 'mind experiment'.  

It's an excellent way of anticipating all of the consequences of one's "wish".  (As well as figuring out relativity. ;D)

So again, imagine three or more parties dividing the electoral vote without a clear winner.  What happens then?

It's not like we have a choice regarding the process.  

Without a run-off, we wind up with (an even smaller) minority government appointed by the house of representatives.  

I don't care what letter the candidate has by his name. I just want a straight shooter. I liked Kasich and didn't like many of his policy positions. He just was genuine and had well thought out detailed explanations for them. I still have trouble understanding how republicans didn't get behind him. 

On 8/3/2017 at 3:38 PM, GiveEmElle said:

Not this Democrat. Third party is one of the reasons we now have a clown in the WH. 

I disagree. The bipartisan expulsion of middle America (and the working class in particular) and a bad candidate from the opposing party(D) created the avenue for drump to travel. 

7 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I disagree. The bipartisan expulsion of middle America (and the working class in particular) and a bad candidate from the opposing party(D) created the avenue for drump to travel. 

Notice I said one of the reasons, not the only reason. This wasn't a one dimensional win. 

9 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

Notice I said one of the reasons, not the only reason. This wasn't a one dimensional win. 

I know my friend. 

Archived