Stidham 2015 Passing Chart (Baylor)

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just to mention that JS almost never ran the ball at Baylor so I wonder where people get the idea he is a running threat ?  

He's not a running athlete type QB but he will pick up and ding you with a 5-10 yard run then slide.  He has very good instincts about deciding when to run; He doesn't hesitate. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, for starters, he was the #1 rated dual threat QB coming out of high school.

That was HS....not always a reliable measure as we have found out.  His college stats show almost no runs.

True..but I wonder if SW was ever 100% at any time last year.  I am not sure we know what he can do. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

You wonder if he was EVER 100% last year? Really? Wow, you're grasping at straws.

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

You wonder if he was EVER 100% last year? Really? Wow, you're grasping at straws.

No...just wondering....he got to be the starter for a reason...looked better before he was playing.

7 minutes ago, AU_Dungeon_Master said:

He's not a running athlete type QB but he will pick up and ding you with a 5-10 yard run then slide.  He has very good instincts about deciding when to run; He doesn't hesitate. 

He had 70 yards for his career in college. ....about 2ypc....You must be thinking of someone else.

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

And just interested to see what he looks like this fall and if there really is serious competition.  IMO but JS is less of a shoe-in than some folks seem to think. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And just interested to see what he looks like this fall and if there really is serious competition.  IMO but JS is less of a shoe-in than some folks seem to think. 

You don't say? Gosh, here I thought you were drumming up Sean White because you wanted to convince everyone we have a great backup!

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He had 70 yards for his career in college. ....about 2ypc....You must be thinking of someone else.

Pretty sure college quarterback rushing statistics include sacks, not just when they actually scramble. Having positive yardage rushing as a college QB means that you have to be something of a rushing threat, because otherwise you'd have negative yards rushing.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I have zero knowledge, just an opinion. However, if JS is not the shoe-in a lot of people think my hopes and expectations for the season just went way down.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True..but I wonder if SW was ever 100% at any time last year.  I am not sure we know what he can do. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

I definitely think we've seen Sean White at 100% during parts of the past 2 seasons. I also think we know what he can do at this point and the coaches do too. I have and will continue to be a SW fan but we all know that just because people can give you 100% doesn't mean it's equal to someone else's 100%. You're right, it will be interesting to see how things develop. 

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I have zero knowledge, just an opinion. However, if JS is not the shoe-in a lot of people think my hopes and expectations for the season just went way down.

Not mine.....overall this is a very good team and as long as we have a healthy QB....any of the three... I think this will be an excellent year.

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Pretty sure college quarterback rushing statistics include sacks, not just when they actually scramble. Having positive yardage rushing as a college QB means that you have to be something of a rushing threat, because otherwise you'd have negative yards rushing.

Yep but check the stats...only 30 carries all year..sacks and all...which I think was only a few....he just did not run the ball.  Now that could change here but no college numbers to say he would be dangerous

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not mine.....overall this is a very good team and as long as we have a healthy QB....any of the three... I think this will be an excellent year.

I get that. However, with a QB that can push the ball down the field and truly make all the throws (like I hope JS can do and SW has shown to me that he can't) I think that our offense can be dynamic and exponentially harder to defend. Again , JMO.

Yep but check the stats...only 30 carries all year..sacks and all...which I think was only a few....he just did not run the ball.

And he played how many games, again?

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep but check the stats...only 30 carries all year..sacks and all...which I think was only a few....he just did not run the ball.  Now that could change here but no college numbers to say he would be dangerous

Pretty sure he only started 3 games.

He ran for 969 yards and 15 TDs as a senior in high school. That's pretty significant against Texas HS competition. He's not a Cam or N. Marshall, but he is definitely a running that.

17 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

And he played how many games, again?

Ten carries for 7 yards against OKlahoma in a loss..but no evidence that he will make designed runs...or is even particularly adept at evading the rush....but he does have an arm.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Ten carries for 7 yards against OKlahoma in a loss..but no evidence that he will make designed runs...or is even particularly adept at evading the rush....but he does have an arm.

24 of his 36 carries came in the 3 games he started. A few games he came in late as the backup he had more carries than pass attempts. I'd say some of those were designed runs.

It's not hard to find video evidence of him running the read option in college.

55 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I hope you around the next several months to eat some crow.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

That was HS....not always a reliable measure as we have found out.  His college stats show almost no runs.

Because Baylor's starter Seth Russell was injured and they really didn't have a good option behind Stidham, Baylor didn't call many designed runs for Stidham to try and protect him. Ironically enough, Stidham broke his ankle on a ZR keep. For a reference on how much Baylor ran their QBs, Russell had 49 carries for 402 yards, averaging over 8 ypc and 7 carries per game. Had Stidham had a backup, he probably runs the ball quite a bit more and more effectively when he was there. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

True..but I wonder if SW was ever 100% at any time last year.  I am not sure we know what he can do.

He started and finished several games over the last 2 seasons. You may not know what he can do, but the rest of us do.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just to mention that JS almost never ran the ball at Baylor so I wonder where people get the idea he is a running threat ?  

Though I don't find him to be dual threat I think he can give us nice 5-yard scampers and the occasional 10-yard gain nothing serious though. Was watching the penn state v. Osu game and I wish he had speed like mcsorley.

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Dude played WR as a sophomore in HS, to the tune of apprx. 50 grabs for 800+ yards. He's a legit athletic, mobile QB. Baylor was already dealing with QB injuries and their offense doesn't feature the QB run game anyways.

Still in Lindsey's offense, we'll only need him to be a threat. He will be. Avoiding pressure, scramble for 1st downs from time to time, and potentially zone-read game in the red zone is going to be that threat.

Wow...my little commented generated quite a bit of action over night....

Glad to see the enthusiasm but ...and this is just an opinion....there is nothing like a bunch of AU fans to get all amped up over a QB before he's proven anything at AU.    Hope JS  can run like Cam or Nick or???   but I recall JJ was gonna win the Heisman and JF3 was a sure starter in the eyes of many here too because he was a DT and could seriously run with the ball. ..

I agree that likely JS will get the starting job.... but until he is on the field, I'm just taking a wait and see view of him and what he can do....especially running with the ball. ...which in my view, is not necessarily a good plan anyway.   If we have two or more healthy RBs and  our QB can hit his passes...what's the need of a designed run more than once or twice a game from the QB?   

Meanwhile, as noted earlier, I think this is a much improved offensive team all the way around (at least while everyone is healthy)  and no matter who is at QB....and I'd include Willis....the offense will be a fun thing to watch....and effective too.  I'm just not building all my hopes about one guy who looked good in HS or in a few good games in a conference where defense is an afterthought.  JMO

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wow...my little commented generated quite a bit of action over night....

Glad to see the enthusiasm but ...and this is just an opinion....there is nothing like a bunch of AU fans to get all amped up over a QB before he's proven anything at AU.    Hope JS  can run like Cam or Nick or???   but I recall JJ was gonna win the Heisman and JF3 was a sure starter in the eyes of many here too because he was a DT and could seriously run with the ball. ..

I agree that likely JS will get the starting job.... but until he is on the field, I'm just taking a wait and see view of him and what he can do....especially running with the ball. ...which in my view, is not necessarily a good plan anyway.   If we have two or more healthy RBs and  our QB can hit his passes...what's the need of a designed run more than once or twice a game from the QB?   

Meanwhile, as noted earlier, I think this is a much improved offensive team all the way around (at least while everyone is healthy)  and no matter who is at QB....and I'd include Willis....the offense will be a fun thing to watch....and effective too.  I'm just not building all my hopes about one guy who looked good in HS or in a few good games in a conference where defense is an afterthought.  JMO

And what has been expressed to you countless of times, neither of these are adequate comparisons to JS. 

Archived