Starting left tackle, Prince or James??

Plainstalk

Every SEC offensive line ranking has Auburn listed either 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, but mostly ranked the 2nd best (Alabama is #1 in all those in case you were wondering). Funny thing is, every single one of those rankings leave out Prince Tega. No mention of him at all. He is definitely the big sleeper on this offensive team. 

33 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I agree but if Hand wants best 5 out there &  Horton doesn't make the cut then so be it.

I agree about the best 5 but it seems as if Horton did a good job as 6th man in last year.

35 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I agree but if Hand wants best 5 out there &  Horton doesn't make the cut then so be it.

Don't know how well the talent transfers from FCS to FBS, but let's not forget Casey Dunn is a 2-time All-American OL in the FCS.

21 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Smith/James are natural guards. Yes they can play tackle for us and because of our needs have done just that. But they will be guards at the next level imo. Tega/Ashley are natural tackles. It sounds like Tega is almost ready but Ashley has been slowed from getting dinged up. I think when both are ready the ideal OL would be:

LT- Tega, LG- James, OC- Golson, RG- Smith, RT- Ashley

But until Tega and/or Ashley ARE ready, James and Smith will have to man the tackle spots. I'll go out on a limb and say Tega will be ready and James will move over to RT. So the opening day OL would be:

LT- Tega, LG- Horton, OC- Golson, RG- Smith, RT- James

Ashley came in out of shape. He's obviously talented, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't redshirt this year.

5 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I would be ok with Tega, Horton, Golson, Smith, James. 

This would be a dream come true....if Tega can live up to the hype. 

Tega must be an imposing tackle to say the least.  He reminds me a lot of Marcus McNeil during the time when Al Borges was our OC.

21 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I sure hate to give up Horton's 330 lbs for Dunn's 290 lb.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with former bama standout Bobby Johns who was head coach at West Alabama at the time.

We were talking about how big college OL had gotten and I asked him if coach Bryant had a 300 plus pounder who proved he could move and do everything he needed to do would he play. Bobby just shook his head no the whole time, saying, and I quote, "He would have run him off."

I don't think that would happen but it just shows how football, for the most part, is a game for big men. 

I'm excited about Tega, and our whole O line situation. Due to inexperience he may lack knowledge of some of the games nuances. On the other hand he doesn't have bad habits to break. He will be the ultimate reflection of Herb Hands teaching skills.  Can't wait until kickoff!

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm excited about Tega, and our whole O line situation. Due to inexperience he may lack knowledge of some of the games nuances. On the other hand he doesn't have bad habits to break. He will be the ultimate reflection of Herb Hands teaching skills.  Can't wait until kickoff!

No doubt. Tega has everything you'd want in a dominant LT. Smart, extremely coachable, loves ball, and getting an aggressive/mean streak. 

:party:

I thought the same thing.  Marcus McNeil was certainly one of the most dominant players at his position in Auburn history.  Amazing how fast Tega has learned the position...

Archived